Class AAA Sectional Matchups

tonybologna

12 hours ago, SayWhat said:

Best advice...try to do what Bolton did..Stall..hold the ball...limit possessions...question is though, do you have the guard play to do that. If not, East wins that game by 20

East could win this game by 30+ over Cleveland really. I think with Dandridge being out for sure now makes it a little less painful for Bolton. Probably more like 15-20 points instead. Cleveland has the ability to play a game with stall tactics. I honestly don't even see how Bolton even remotely had early success doing this to Memphis East.

Cleveland has a much better team than Bolton & to me if they slow the pace of the game down that will be their ONLY chance to knock Memphis East out of the tourney. I don't think Cleveland can keep it close playing an up tempo style game like Memphis East will want to play.

Look at how Dobyns-Bennett played Bearden in the Sectionals. They used at least 1:00 minute off the clock each possession. Bearden got real frustrated wit these tactics because they are an up tempo high scoring team. Bearden never did really adjust to DB's style of play in the game but made enough plays in the 4th quarter to win the game. DB just gave other teams a way to play Bearden. However, teams that try this will need to have the guards to be able to do it. I think the same stall tactics will be the best way to beat Memphis East as well. 

Edited by tonybologna

On 3/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, tonybologna said:

East could win this game by 30+ over Cleveland really. I think with Dandridge being out for sure now makes it a little less painful for Bolton. Probably more like 15-20 points instead. Cleveland has the ability to play a game with stall tactics. I honestly don't even see how Bolton even remotely had early success doing this to Memphis East.

Cleveland has a much better team than Bolton & to me if they slow the pace of the game down that will be their ONLY chance to knock Memphis East out of the tourney. I don't think Cleveland can keep it close playing an up tempo style game like Memphis East will want to play.

Look at how Dobyns-Bennett played Bearden in the Sectionals. They used at least 1:00 minute off the clock each possession. Bearden got real frustrated wit these tactics because they are an up tempo high scoring team. Bearden never did really adjust to DB's style of play in the game but made enough plays in the 4th quarter to win the game. DB just gave other teams a way to play Bearden. However, teams that try this will need to have the guards to be able to do it. I think the same stall tactics will be the best way to beat Memphis East as well. 

I wouldn't call it a stall tactic.  Slowing the pace down by running a motion offense with different cutters is how to equalize a more athletic team until you get an open look (If it's not there then keep running the motion offense until you get an open look).  Coach Poor at DB took that offensive play from his Former coach at Greeneville in Bill Duncan who beat a lot of more athletic teams while coaching at Greeneville, Scott Co, and Heritage running the exact same play.

I don’t think “stalling” will help Cleveland chances at all. They have to score the basketball, and if they don’t, then they’re in serious trouble. Cleveland needs to get this game into the 60’s, if not, 70’s. Stalling and limiting possessions is not a key ingredient when you’re playing a team that has a 7 footer who’s athletic, mobile, and can jump and block shots. If Cleveland stalls and make it a game in 40’s, mine as well grab a shirt from the merchandise stand and go be prepared to go home. What happens if Cleveland stalls and not come away with points from that possession? Just losing bunch of seconds go off the clock

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I don’t think “stalling” will help Cleveland chances at all. They have to score the basketball, and if they don’t, then they’re in serious trouble. Cleveland needs to get this game into the 60’s, if not, 70’s. Stalling and limiting possessions is not a key ingredient when you’re playing a team that has a 7 footer who’s athletic, mobile, and can jump and block shots. If Cleveland stalls and make it a game in 40’s, mine as well grab a shirt from the merchandise stand and go be prepared to go home. What happens if Cleveland stalls and not come away with points from that possession? Just losing bunch of seconds go off the clock

Cleveland will be patient with their offense. I dont think they will stall, but take good shots when they present themselves. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:09 AM, clevelandblueraiderfan said:

Cleveland will be patient with their offense. I dont think they will stall, but take good shots when they present themselves. 

Cleveland is better than people think! Don’t be shocked if they hang around and don’t think that they have no chance. Wood and Johnson can completely control the game. They are definitely underdogs - yes. But this is a terrific group of guards that can handle the ball and really shoot it well. Good luck to the guys from Cleveland. 

5 hours ago, chattaauhoops said:

Cleveland is better than people think! Don’t be shocked if they hang around and don’t think that they have no chance. Wood and Johnson can completely control the game. They are definitely underdogs - yes. But this is a terrific group of guards that can handle the ball and really shoot it well. Good luck to the guys from Cleveland. 

It looks like Memphis East didn't get the message about how good Cleveland was.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, Swipes said:

I wouldn't call it a stall tactic.  Slowing the pace down by running a motion offense with different cutters is how to equalize a more athletic team until you get an open look (If it's not there then keep running the motion offense until you get an open look).  Coach Poor at DB took that offensive play from his Former coach at Greeneville in Bill Duncan who beat a lot of more athletic teams while coaching at Greeneville, Scott Co, and Heritage running the exact same play.

It was a stall tactic to be able to do exactly what you & I both said.