Turf in Sumner County

fredjones

1 hour ago, thegreatone36 said:

You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Many more injuries on turf. Fact. Turf is not as kind to you during a hard fall. Fact. It has to be replaced every few years, which costs H*** of a lot more than upkeeping Grass. Fact. 

Actually playing on it multiple times, I feel that I can have a good opinion of turf. By the way, you should call Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Ohio St., Michigan, Texas, UGA, and ask why they don't use turf. Because it sure as heck isn't because of a lack of $$$. But hey, Vandy has turf!!!

And that 80 year old dump has a ton of tradition, which even the rivals will say. It is nice going to watch a Game at GHS. You are right over top of the action with no track and the bleachers being right on top of the sidelines. & opposing fanbases can almost never "fill" our visitors stands (Which are larger than most team's Home side). But yeah, you keep enjoying these new style stadiums built out of aluminum beer cans, and can only hold a capacity of like 2k. Good for you. 

Next.

Do you have data to back up your "facts" statement concerning injuries?  Turf does not have to be replaced every few years.  More like a decade, at the least.  If it is not used like a community center, it will last loger than that.  A lot of the schools you mentioned had turf before fieldturf became like real grass.  It used to be hard with a concrete base.  I dare say you will see some of these teams you mentioned go back to fieldturf in the near future.  I played on the old turf of Birmingham, MTSU, Tenn Tech, Boise State, Northern Illinois, APSU, Chattanooga, ETSU in old dome, Murray State, Cincinnati & many others.  It was awful.  The stuff I coach on now is unreal.  And it will only keep getting better.  

4 hours ago, thegreatone36 said:

I've played on some turf fields. It's a little overrated. a quality grass playing surface is unrivaled. What serious college football school or NFL team uses turf. Very few. Now, turf would make sense ar Beech. The field has draining issues and the grass was never the best surface because of it

14 NFL teams have Fieldturf, 18 have natural grass.  Colleges:  Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Louisville, Syracuse, Kentucky, Houston, Texas, Missouri, Cincy, Ole Miss, Washington, Texas Tech, Iowa, Washington State, Nebraska, Michigan, Navy, West Virginia, Oregon State, Rice, Colorado State......just to name a few.  More and more school systems in TN are getting fieldturf as well.  I hope this helps in your argument.

Gallatin’s playing surface is over 100 years old.  The current home side is built with old donated steel from L&N Railroad.  It has one of the largest press boxes around, with all due respect to Hendersonville, and is free standing.  The tradition at Gallatin is almost unmatched in Tennessee.  Having said that I seriously doubt you will see a turf field anytime soon at Gallatin.  It has been looked into and the cost is just too much.  You  have to either get the equipment to groom it or sign a contract to have it maintained, which adds to the cost.  Current fields are warranted for around 20 years of life expectancy.  The cost either way can be a wash, for example cost of fertilizer, seed, upkeep, water and sand that has to be bought per year.  I am not up on the injury part of the conversation.  I do know that Beech could use the turf because of the drainage issue but I still want to know how they get the money to do it.  It is also more practical that other teams do it and can practice on it which would be tough for Gallatin since it is off campus.  

Teams that can't compete and win always talk about their "tradition" so yeah Gallatin has plenty of tradition, the tradition of not winning but talking about the good ole days when you did. Congrats on having "the best tradition" in the state of Tennessee. We would all love to see your rings from that. Fact.

2 hours ago, thegreatone36 said:

You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Many more injuries on turf. Fact. Turf is not as kind to you during a hard fall. Fact. It has to be replaced every few years, which costs H*** of a lot more than upkeeping Grass. Fact. 

Actually playing on it multiple times, I feel that I can have a good opinion of turf. By the way, you should call Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Ohio St., Michigan, Texas, UGA, and ask why they don't use turf. Because it sure as heck isn't because of a lack of $$$. But hey, Vandy has turf!!!

And that 80 year old dump has a ton of tradition, which even the rivals will say. It is nice going to watch a Game at GHS. You are right over top of the action with no track and the bleachers being right on top of the sidelines. & opposing fanbases can almost never "fill" our visitors stands (Which are larger than most team's Home side). But yeah, you keep enjoying these new style stadiums built out of aluminum beer cans, and can only hold a capacity of like 2k. Good for you. 

Next.

Well you did get one thing right in this post of fake news. Gallatin's tradition is the Green Wave traditionally get their tailed kicked on fall Friday nights at your safety hazard of a stadium. 

10 minutes ago, WingT08 said:

Well you did get one thing right in this post of fake news. Gallatin's tradition is the Green Wave traditionally get their tailed kicked on fall Friday nights at your safety hazard of a stadium. 

Traditionally getting their tails whipped... Makes total sense. Do you really want to see the win/loss total? Do you want to know what their record is against every rival they've ever played? Who has the most players in sumner county make the NFL? Who has the most titles in the county? I mean since you DID mention "Traditionally" and all. 

You have an empty head. Not even worth the time. 

Go back to the playground. 

30 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Gallatin’s playing surface is over 100 years old.  The current home side is built with old donated steel from L&N Railroad.  It has one of the largest press boxes around, with all due respect to Hendersonville, and is free standing.  The tradition at Gallatin is almost unmatched in Tennessee.  Having said that I seriously doubt you will see a turf field anytime soon at Gallatin.  It has been looked into and the cost is just too much.  You  have to either get the equipment to groom it or sign a contract to have it maintained, which adds to the cost.  Current fields are warranted for around 20 years of life expectancy.  The cost either way can be a wash, for example cost of fertilizer, seed, upkeep, water and sand that has to be bought per year.  I am not up on the injury part of the conversation.  I do know that Beech could use the turf because of the drainage issue but I still want to know how they get the money to do it.  It is also more practical that other teams do it and can practice on it which would be tough for Gallatin since it is off campus.  

Has the south endzone been leveled off yet or does it still rise up a foot or so towards the right corner? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

Traditionally getting their tails whipped... Makes total sense. Do you really want to see the win/loss total? Do you want to know what their record is against every rival they've ever played? Who has the most players in sumner county make the NFL? Who has the most titles in the county? I mean since you DID mention "Traditionally" and all. 

You have an empty head. Not even worth the time. 

Go back to the playground. 

I think you should totally post all of those nonsense statistics. I would love to know Gallatin's football record in 1982 or 1996. Gallatin Green Wave: Statistical Champs! Print the shirts!

1 hour ago, ocac said:

14 NFL teams have Fieldturf, 18 have natural grass.  Colleges:  Arizona, Oregon, Wisconsin, Louisville, Syracuse, Kentucky, Houston, Texas, Missouri, Cincy, Ole Miss, Washington, Texas Tech, Iowa, Washington State, Nebraska, Michigan, Navy, West Virginia, Oregon State, Rice, Colorado State......just to name a few.  More and more school systems in TN are getting fieldturf as well.  I hope this helps in your argument.

Ok great statistic. So this right here shows that the smaller, less succesfull, smaller fanbase / & less $$$ profitable schools are using turf, while almost all the biggest revenue / biggest brand schools are staying away from turf. And more NFL teams are using grass than turf.(Plus the NFL teams that have it only use turf from being in an enclosed dome in most cases (Duh) So thank you for once again proving my point. Turf is nice and has its perks for sure. But there is a huge reason to why more big names still stick with a grass playing surface. 

Edited by thegreatone36

33 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

NEW

ENGLAND 

PATRIOTS

HAVE 

TURF

AND 

NO

DOME

Good for them. You named one outdoor NFL stadium. My point is, there is good and bad about each. Which is why PLENTY of big names aren't using turf. Dont you really think if the Steelers, Packers, Titans, Bears, Bama, Vols, Auburn, Gators, etc, etc wanted turf they could VERY easily do it? I mean the Cardinals have an indoor stadium where the natural field comes outside to be exposed to the sun. The Vegas Raiders new stadium being built will be a hybrid indoor/outdoor stadium with natural grass which will also be designed to Roll out of the stadium. That sounds like a LOT of extra work and $ to do when they could've just EASILY chose to use turf. So there, I've named two indoor stadiums which still chose to use grass.

Just dont act like turf is always the best option in every situation.  Cause you would be wrong in thinking that.

Edited by thegreatone36