Head Coach Openings

BigOrangeBaller

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I will be shocked if Keelon Lawson goes to Whitehaven. Why would he?

Because Whitehaven has a support base that Wooddale doesn't (probably never will) have.

Also, Wooddale, Sheffield, and another school (can't remember) are supposed to close and merge to create a Parkway Village Area high school sooner rather than later. 

The coaching link rule will be interesting if he goes to Whitehaven and any of the kids from Wooddale try to go with him. Whitehaven will still have Murrell.

21 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Because Whitehaven has a support base that Wooddale doesn't (probably never will) have.

Also, Wooddale, Sheffield, and another school (can't remember) are supposed to close and merge to create a Parkway Village Area high school sooner rather than later. 

The coaching link rule will be interesting if he goes to Whitehaven and any of the kids from Wooddale try to go with him. Whitehaven will still have Murrell.

No way he leave Wooddale this year. He will eventually. Wooddale is the new East in Memphis and it will be another school in a few years so I don't see a coach being a long term coach in most Memphis schools. 

38 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

No way he leave Wooddale this year. He will eventually. Wooddale is the new East in Memphis and it will be another school in a few years so I don't see a coach being a long term coach in most Memphis schools. 

Wooddale isn't even close to what East was. Just 3-4 years ago Wooddale had a season where they didn't' win a game. That area of the city is purgatory. 

Without Chandler Lawson this year Wooddale wouldn't have won. When a top 100 recruit that has been playing a national schedule for the last three years drops to AA it makes a difference. Wooddale didn't really have a lot of talent outside the Lawson brothers.

Whitehaven has Mathew Murrell. Murrell is probably going to be a 5-star recruit after this summer. Then Jonathan Lawson would go to Whitehaven (they'll figure a way to make him eligible) Lawson is an ESPN top 60. 

Whitehaven has a culture that most places in Memphis don't have. They bring fans those fans are very passionate about that school and community. It is a far better situation than Wooddale.

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

Wooddale isn't even close to what East was. Just 3-4 years ago Wooddale had a season where they didn't' win a game. That area of the city is purgatory. 

Without Chandler Lawson this year Wooddale wouldn't have won. When a top 100 recruit that has been playing a national schedule for the last three years drops to AA it makes a difference. Wooddale didn't really have a lot of talent outside the Lawson brothers.

Whitehaven has Mathew Murrell. Murrell is probably going to be a 5-star recruit after this summer. Then Jonathan Lawson would go to Whitehaven (they'll figure a way to make him eligible) Lawson is an ESPN top 60. 

Whitehaven has a culture that most places in Memphis don't have. They bring fans those fans are very passionate about that school and community. It is a far better situation than Wooddale.

Oh I agree they are not as good as East but they could be close if the guys go there that are rumored to be going there.

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Oh I agree they are not as good as East but they could be close if the guys go there that are rumored to be going there.

There aren't enough players of that caliber in Memphis to make Wooddale like East.

If Whitehaven gets Lawson as a coach he will take the kids that were gonna transfer to Wooddale with him to Whitehaven. The hard part will get any kids from Wooddale that already played for him to Whitehaven. 

20 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

There aren't enough players of that caliber in Memphis to make Wooddale like East.

If Whitehaven gets Lawson as a coach he will take the kids that were gonna transfer to Wooddale with him to Whitehaven. The hard part will get any kids from Wooddale that already played for him to Whitehaven. 

If this does happen, will suck for Alvin Miles. No way he can transfer from whitehaven to his neighborhood school woodale and then go back because his new coach heads to his old school. If this plays out I think he will end up at East to be their pg for a year. Just like you said, they will find a way for him to be eligible.

1 hour ago, TonyG said:

If this does happen, will suck for Alvin Miles. No way he can transfer from whitehaven to his neighborhood school woodale and then go back because his new coach heads to his old school. If this plays out I think he will end up at East to be their pg for a year. Just like you said, they will find a way for him to be eligible.

Yeah, I was wondering about Alvin. He wouldn't be able to come back to Whitehaven under that scenerio. Mind you, all of this is contingent upon Lawson coming to Whitehaven. Does anybody know if that offer has even been put on the table?

On 3/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, warmachine7954 said:

What did he do to lose their respect? Be caucasian? 

So when these young men go out into society they're not going to be able to do a job if their boss isn't African American?

Not sure if is was too easy ot too restrictive just know what I have been told from fans and parents from Haywood. Now IMO, his system didnt fit the personnel. Also, I feel like and this is just me, and I'm not racist or nothing like that, I have white family members and a lot of white friends. I think being a white coach coming from a predominantly white private school and team that wasnt a powerhouse into an all black essentially inner city urban climate school and team he was not accepted by the team. Heard similar stories about former girls coach as well. I think he is capable of doing the job but it's not what Haywood really wants. And I'd be willing to bet former UK teammate made a difference as well. Just my opinion tho