2018-19 TSSAA Boy's State Tournament Teams(Class A-AAA)

tonybologna

Class A

University High
Cosby
Fayetteville
Eagleville
Columbia Academy
McKenzie
Humboldt
Manassas

Class AA

Austin-East
Fulton
Brainerd
Howard
Pearl-Cohn
East Nashville
Mitchell
Wooddale

Class AAA

Sevier County
Bearden
Cleveland
Oakland
Brentwood
Franklin
Whitehaven
Memphis East

The boy's state tourney draw will be held @ 5 PM CST tomorrow (March 5th).

Edited by tonybologna

1 hour ago, tonybologna said:

Class A

University High
Cosby
Fayetteville
Eagleville
Columbia Academy
McKenzie
Humboldt
Manassas

Class AA

Austin-East
Fulton
Brainerd
Howard
Pearl-Cohn
East Nashville
Mitchell
Wooddale

Class AAA

Sevier County
Bearden
Cleveland
Oakland
Brentwood
Franklin
Whitehaven
Memphis East

The boy's state tourney draw will be held @ 5 PM CST tomorrow (March 5th).

Well, if you are Whitehaven or East, you are happy that the other District 16 team will be placed on the opposite side of the bracket in AAA.

The same thing goes for Mitchell and Wooddale in AA. Both of those schools are District 16 as well.

Getting OUT of Memphis is so hard to do. I think it's great that both teams from the same district will have an opportunity to make it to the state championship game without having to play a team from its district in the preliminary stages.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dannyq said:

What is Sevier County looking like this year? How do they match up with the Haven?

They don't match up man for man, they are very well coached and methodical. They beat a good Oak Ridge team, that only lost to Whiehaven by 4, to get to State. (SC beat OR by 5) They've won 8 straight and 14 of 15.

2 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

They don't match up man for man, they are very well coached and methodical. They beat a good Oak Ridge team, that only lost to Whiehaven by 4, to get to State. (SC beat OR by 5) They've won 8 straight and 14 of 15.

Thx. Are they Big?

49 minutes ago, dannyq said:

Thx. Are they Big?

I have only seen them on video and not in person. Maryville beat them by 10 in our first game of the season. RW87 could answer that. Even though they are only 25 miles away, they play in District 2. They didn't get much press or hype because of Bearden, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Catholic, in our immediate area from Districts 3 and 4. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dannyq said:

Thx. Are they Big?

Sevier County to me is the most surprising team in the state tourney including all 3 levels of classification (A-AAA). I've seen them play twice in person this season. They won one game & lost the other one. To me, they are a team that's just well coached. They don't have a star even though PG Marvin Castro is probably their best player @ 5'10" & a light 130 lbs. They play true team basketball. They do have 2 players that go 6'5" in Wesley Maples & Camden McElhaney. Maples is the better of the 2 taller players.

They are just a well balanced team. They also play pretty good defense. They play mostly man-to-man but at times will throw a full court press & also a zone in the half court defense. I just don't see them matching up well with Whitehaven though. I am expecting more zone from Sevier County in this game. I still personally think Whitehaven is a much better team overall. I could see Whitehaven winning by 10+ points.    

43 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Sevier County to me is the most surprising team in the state tourney including all 3 levels of classification (A-AAA). I've seen them play twice in person this season. They won one game & lost the other one. To me, they are a team that's just well coached. They don't have a star even though PG Marvin Castro is probably their best player @ 5'10" & a light 130 lbs. They play true team basketball. They do have 2 players that go 6'5" in Wesley Maples & Camden McElhaney. Maples is the better of the 2 taller players.

They are just a well balanced team. They also play pretty good defense. They play mostly man-to-man but at times will throw a full court press & also a zone in the half court defense. I just don't see them matching up well with Whitehaven though. I am expecting more zone from Sevier County in this game. I still personally think Whitehaven is a much better team overall. I could see Whitehaven winning by 10+ points.    

Sevier County will play a zone against Whitehaven. They are well coached and if Whitehaven doesn’t bring their A game it could be an upset. I do think Whithaven wins but could be closer than most think. 

3 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

Sevier County will play a zone against Whitehaven. They are well coached and if Whitehaven doesn’t bring their A game it could be an upset. I do think Whithaven wins but could be closer than most think. 

I agree. I think Sevier County will play mostly if not all zone against Whitehaven. They can't stop Whitehaven in a man-to-man defense. I also think with Sevier County & their quick guards they will throw some full court traps in the backcourt to try & get some steals & easy buckets.