2018-19 TSSAA Boy's State Tournament Teams(Class A-AAA)

tonybologna

3 hours ago, kwc said:

I understand that Bearden is good, but why do you say that they "should" play for the championship? I understand that they don't have many weaknesses ... but why do you favor them over Whitehaven?

I think they have a better nucleus of talent than Whithaven.  Sometimes it’s a about match ups too. Maybe Whitehaven wins but I’ll take Bearden by 8. Don’t forget they had East on the ropes in last years semifinal game. They have everyone back but one player from last years team. 

45 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

I think they have a better nucleus of talent than Whithaven.  Sometimes it’s a about match ups too. Maybe Whitehaven wins but I’ll take Bearden by 8. Don’t forget they had East on the ropes in last years semifinal game. They have everyone back but one player from last years team. 

Ok ... fair enough. I don't know enough about Bearden to know whether or not their nucleus of talent is better then Whitehaven's. I find that hard to believe. However, all I can do is compare schedules at this point and look at the teams that both teams have played. You do know that they have three common opponents. Center Hill (MS) (Mississippi state champ), Southwind, and Oak Ridge. Of the three, Bearden has lost to Center Hill by 13 and they lost to Southwind by 5. They beat Oak Ridge by 14 in the R2 AAA championship game. Of the three, Whitehaven lost to Center Hill by 1 and they beat both Southwind (by 1) and Oak Ridge (by 5). I don't know if that suggest a better nucleus of talent on Bearden's part or not. Doesn't appear that way to me. Just an observation.

I definately don't see an 8 point victory by Bearden. Both teams had wins with a wide margin of victory. Both made deep runs into the state championship last year with Whitehaven being the runnuer-up and Bearden losing in the semi's.  I don't see a match-up problem that is in Bearden's favor from what little video I've seen of Bearden. Who on the Bearden roster is suppose to pose a match-up problem for Whitehaven? For that matter, I don't see the Bearden coach outcoaching the Whitehaven coach ... so, enlighten me.

Edited by kwc

17 minutes ago, kwc said:

Ok ... fair enough. I don't know enough about Bearden to know whether or not their nucleus of talent is better then Whitehaven's. I find that hard to believe. However, all I can do is compare schedules at this point and look at the teams that both teams have played. You do know that they have three common opponents. Center Hill (MS) (Mississippi state champ), Southwind, and Oak Ridge. Of the three, Bearden has lost to Center Hill by 13 and they lost to Southwind by 5. They beat Oak Ridge by 14 in the R2 AAA championship game. Of the three, Whitehaven lost to Center Hill by 1 and they beat both Southwind (by 1) and Oak Ridge (by 5). I don't know if that suggest a better nucleus of talent on Bearden's part or not. Doesn't appear that way to me. Just an observation.

I definately don't see an 8 point victory by Bearden. Both teams had wins with a wide margin of victory. Both made deep runs into the state championship last year with Whitehaven being the runnuer-up and Bearden losing in the semi's.  I don't see a match-up problem that is in Bearden's favor from what little video I've seen of Bearden. Who on the Bearden roster is suppose to pose a match-up problem for Whitehaven? For that matter, I don't see the Bearden coach outcoaching the Whitehaven coach ... so, enlighten me.

I think the biggest difference is UT sign Drew Pember being back healthier than he has been all year (Had a hairline Fracture in his foot before the season started and saw limited action the first part of the season).  He seems to be back to his normal self in the last few games I saw him play.  Should be a great game to watch for sure with athletes all over the court

39 minutes ago, kwc said:

Maybe, I meant match-up problem for Bearden. You and I don't have a clue how the game is going to turn out tomorrow. Just trying to give my opinion. Sorry If doesn't jive with your opinion. I've only missed one State Championship game so far (Brentwood). Whitehaven could very much win tomorrow but I think Bearden gets to the Championship game. 

Bearden played without their best player at least half the year. 

32 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

Maybe, I meant match-up problem for Bearden. You and I don't have a clue how the game is going to turn out tomorrow. Just trying to give my opinion. Sorry If doesn't jive with your opinion. I've only missed one State Championship game so far (Brentwood). Whitehaven could very much win tomorrow but I think Bearden gets to the Championship game. 

Bearden played without their best player at least half the year. 

You're right, we don't have a clue. But, I wasn't the one who declared that Bearden would win by 8 points. That was you. All I could do is look at schedules to compare and contrast against common opponents. They seem pretty close in accomplishments to me. 

Doesn't matter if your opinion "jives" with mine. I was just asking about the insight that you seem to have that makes you feel confident enough in Bearden's ability to beat Whathaven that it prompted you to declare Bearden to be an 8-point victor in tomorrows game. That's all.

Me ... I think Whitehaven has everything they need to win tomorrow. I think they have the talent. I think they have the depth. I think they have the right mind set. I think they have the coaching. I HOPE they win tomorrow. I will be dissapointed if they don't. However, Bearden is a really good, well coached team. 

You, on the other hand have already declared Bearden to be an 8-point victor.

We will see tomorrow.

Edited by kwc