McKenzie Vs University School

VOLnWTN

18 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Please refer to your first comment.  You stated the ends of the State which would be NE TN and  NW or SW Tennessee which is not middle.  I've never heard middle tn referred being out west in NE TN.  Out west in NE tn is West TN. (Thats like me saying i'm going to take a vacation out west and then go to Gatlinburg since its west of the tri-cities)  DB did not get put out by Sevier Co (yes they lost to them) but got put out by Bearden at Bearden by 6 like I stated earlier in the substate.  I'm guessing you think Columbia, Fayetteville, and Humbolt would destroy Bearden too....

Ok it's obvious I'm talking to a teenager from Kingsport. Go ahead and tell me while you're at it how great the football program is as well. Like I said, leave the house, travel westward (I promise if you use a compass and follow the W on it you'll pass through the whole state) and watch something besides NE TN basketball. 

11 minutes ago, gcpioneer94 said:

Ok it's obvious I'm talking to a teenager from Kingsport. Go ahead and tell me while you're at it how great the football program is as well. Like I said, leave the house, travel westward (I promise if you use a compass and follow the W on it you'll pass through the whole state) and watch something besides NE TN basketball. 

You're actually talking to a grown man who lives in Knoxville and owns his own business.  I just know how to correctly word things unlike yourself.  I have watched film on teams from all over the state through online platforms and don't see the 3 teams you named earlier destroying DB.  Example:  Columbia Academy was beaten by Knox Catholic by 11.  That same Knox Catholic team got beat by Bearden 78-52, 80-54, and 82-49 the 3 times they played.  DB like I stated earlier was put out by Bearden by 6 so to say they would get destroyed by the 3 A teams you mention is ignorant.  I'm not on here saying DB is a basketball GOD but your trying to make it sound like they are trash.  Are they as good as the Memphis teams in AAA NO but what teams really are?

Heck with all this, I'm heading East! Back to Hampton!

There is no doubt teams west of us play at a different level....Most years. That's because most teams around here don't get away from this area and play larger, faster, more talented programs. Also has to do with the fact that talent pools, in this area, aren't restocked as quickly. I refer mostly to A and AA programs. 

Science Hill, a few others and even Hampton has had those years they could compete at the state level. The last three years we were there, the chances of a title were slim, playing MM....And we had a team that had beaten Cleveland and other top programs from multi-states in summer camps...I may draw some flack here, but IMO there's not been another 1A program in the tourney that compares to the '13,'14,'15 Memphis Mitchell teams (I'm speaking of the 2014,15,16 tournament years)

21 hours ago, gcpioneer94 said:

This just shows the difference in caliber in basketball on the ends of the state. It's a whole different show out west. Columbia, Humboldt, and Fayetteville would destroy any AAA school in the NE corner of the state.

Want to rethink your comment after watching what Bearden just did to Whitehaven?  3 games ago Bearden 46 DB 40..... Today Bearden 76 Whitehaven 60.  I'll hang up and listen.....

8 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

Heck with all this, I'm heading East! Back to Hampton!

There is no doubt teams west of us play at a different level....Most years. That's because most teams around here don't get away from this area and play larger, faster, more talented programs. Also has to do with the fact that talent pools, in this area, aren't restocked as quickly. I refer mostly to A and AA programs. 

Science Hill, a few others and even Hampton has had those years they could compete at the state level. The last three years we were there, the chances of a title were slim, playing MM....And we had a team that had beaten Cleveland and other top programs from multi-states in summer camps...I may draw some flack here, but IMO there's not been another 1A program in the tourney that compares to the '13,'14,'15 Memphis Mitchell teams (I'm speaking of the 2014,15,16 tournament years)

There are a few rural West Tn. teams who can (not every year, but often) play with the Memphis teams... Union City, Middleton, Humboldt, and a couple more less frequently as Lake County, and TCA (gotta stop someplace). Memphis teams aren't always the same, but the recipe usually is... big, athletic, long, confident, and poorly coached. Their kids know basketball... everything they do on the floor is second nature to them, as they've probably actually played more competitive minutes than most college sophomores and juniors. If you're going to win state and beat that type team, you have to have players, you have to be fundamentality sound, you have to have a game plan, you have to have a bench, and you have to withstand runs. 

I can vouch for those Mitchell teams you mentioned, they had inside, outside, defense, a Mr. Basketball (future) coming off the bench, and a coach who stressed team basketball... nobody in 1A was going to derail that train, but I was highly impressed with Hampton... they covered everything it takes to beat "the usual" Memphis squad, and were tough as nails to boot

51 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

There are a few rural West Tn. teams who can (not every year, but often) play with the Memphis teams... Union City, Middleton, Humboldt, and a couple more less frequently as Lake County, and TCA (gotta stop someplace). Memphis teams aren't always the same, but the recipe usually is... big, athletic, long, confident, and poorly coached. Their kids know basketball... everything they do on the floor is second nature to them, as they've probably actually played more competitive minutes than most college sophomores and juniors. If you're going to win state and beat that type team, you have to have players, you have to be fundamentality sound, you have to have a game plan, you have to have a bench, and you have to withstand runs. 

I can vouch for those Mitchell teams you mentioned, they had inside, outside, defense, a Mr. Basketball (future) coming off the bench, and a coach who stressed team basketball... nobody in 1A was going to derail that train, but I was highly impressed with Hampton... they covered everything it takes to beat "the usual" Memphis squad, and were tough as nails to boot

One of the best posts that I have read in a while. As a Hampton fan I thank you for the respect. We were just unfortunate to send one of our better teams down there when Memphis Mitchell was single a. 

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

I always enjoy reading your posts trader even tho I rarely reply.

Lake Co beat us in the semis in 2011 tournament and our game with UC went to the wire in the 2015 tournament. All great teams, but MM, in the years we played them as mentioned, was at another level and Phillips could flat out COACH! 

Wish we could've had those Hampton teams down there the last few years, think we may have brought home a lil gold. That level of talent and determination doesn't find it's way to this area very often. 

2 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

I always enjoy reading your posts trader even tho I rarely reply.

Lake Co beat us in the semis in 2011 tournament and our game with UC went to the wire in the 2015 tournament. All great teams, but MM, in the years we played them as mentioned, was at another level and Phillips could flat out COACH! 

Wish we could've had those Hampton teams down there the last few years, think we may have brought home a lil gold. That level of talent and determination doesn't find it's way to this area very often. 

Phillips (IMO) was the factor that made Mitchell a cut above the typical Memphis teams. Booker T Washington, Westwood, and Manassas all have had phenomenal teams (major conference recruits) in recent years that were beaten at Murfreesboro by sound, yet inferior teams because of coaching... that was not happening to Mitchell.

Just an FYI... I sat with some administrators and fans from Hampton during one of those games. I was (still am) highly impressed with them as well as your coach and team. Great bunch of knowledgeable basketball fans as well as fine people. I'll always root for y'all because of it... doesn't hurt that y'alls uni's strongly resemble Carolina Blue either!!!

49 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Phillips (IMO) was the factor that made Mitchell a cut above the typical Memphis teams. Booker T Washington, Westwood, and Manassas all have had phenomenal teams (major conference recruits) in recent years that were beaten at Murfreesboro by sound, yet inferior teams because of coaching... that was not happening to Mitchell.

Just an FYI... I sat with some administrators and fans from Hampton during one of those games. I was (still am) highly impressed with them as well as your coach and team. Great bunch of knowledgeable basketball fans as well as fine people. I'll always root for y'all because of it... doesn't hurt that y'alls uni's strongly resemble Carolina Blue either!!!

Having UNC like uni's is a perk Lol...Although I'm not too pleased with the way they played the second half tonight vs Duke! Coby White has a ways to come!

Most of the Hampton admin are close friends and good people for sure...Our coaching staff is very knowledgeable also... and I know exactly what you mean about the advantage MM had with Phillips at the head. I stayed in the same Hampton Inn they did and got to talk to him and the staff each night. Even after they beat us, they pointed out things they wanted me to tell my boy to make him better... Things they saw in the first game that they took advantage of....That raised my opinion of them even higher.