Cadet and Junior Nationals Wrestler Qualifications and Details for Fargo

BMBowers

59 minutes ago, hawks11 said:

You guys can get mad at him for the insult all you want, and I’m not necessarily disagreeing. The insults should stay off the message boards. However, I do believe they are justified. $1500 to wrestle in a tournament is insane. The majority of our wrestling families will not be able to afford that. On top of that you’re forcing them to compete at 2 other tournaments before you even allow them the opportunity to compete at Fargo. One of those tournaments being in Georgia requiring a weekend in a hotel. Now you are looking at over $2000 just to wrestle at Fargo. This is just plain wrong. The #1 goal should be growing wrestling in TN, and getting as many of our top kids there as possible. We had some impressive results last year, and had the opportunity to expand on that this year. Charging this much money is not helping to achieve this goal. How can you justify this? How is this the best move for our state? I’m just dumbfounded over this decision. I’ve always thought Bowers took more heat than deserved in past years, but I can’t defend this. I believe it may be time for new leadership with our state’s best interest in mind. 

I have no problem with people questioning the decision, or any decision at that, but the insults need to stop. First, people have family and kids and NONE of you would want your kids reading this crap. As for the cost, I have personally questioned it, and think everyone has that right. My point is, do it with some respect and thought in mind.

So we all know that board members read this message board. I would like to hear how this cost decision was made. What was the vote? I thought the purpose of having an established board was so everyone was on the same page. Was everyone in favor and if so that’s fine or was this voted on at all because this gets back to what I said in the beginning of the conversation about the total lack of transparency. 

1 hour ago, JIII said:

So we all know that board members read this message board. I would like to hear how this cost decision was made. What was the vote? I thought the purpose of having an established board was so everyone was on the same page. Was everyone in favor and if so that’s fine or was this voted on at all because this gets back to what I said in the beginning of the conversation about the total lack of transparency. 

Bowers has always done what Bowers wants. Others raise questions and ideas but in the end he just does what he wants.

Lets propose a new chair of TWF. I vote Al Miller.

Edited by Ummmno
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

Bowers has always done what Bowers wants. Others raise questions and ideas but in the end he just does what he wants.

Lets propose a new chair of TWF. I vote Al Miller.

I think you are wrong there. What I see is that he is trying to make us unified, and we go as "one". What I see is that there are some in the state, that do not want to participate in state events, and still want to go to Fargo as part of TN. Well, how does that benefit everyone? He is just trying to bring it all together under one, and because we have been doing our own things for so long, it is going to be painful at first. NOW, I agree, the cost needs to have a breakdown so everyone knows what the money is going for, etc. Hopefully we will get that very soon. I do think that going from $300 to $1500 is a rather drastic change, but he did at least explain what all was covered in that cost, but a further breakdown would be nice.

But to say he only does what he wants is not accurate, there is a board and they do meet and vote on things. This is not 100% his decision. And like you said, there is always the option to vote new members in, but I don't see anyone wanting to stand up and put in the time that he does. So let's cool it for a bit, allow him to provide more information and have civil discussions about all this.

13 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

I think you are wrong there. What I see is that he is trying to make us unified, and we go as "one". What I see is that there are some in the state, that do not want to participate in state events, and still want to go to Fargo as part of TN. Well, how does that benefit everyone? He is just trying to bring it all together under one, and because we have been doing our own things for so long, it is going to be painful at first. NOW, I agree, the cost needs to have a breakdown so everyone knows what the money is going for, etc. Hopefully we will get that very soon. I do think that going from $300 to $1500 is a rather drastic change, but he did at least explain what all was covered in that cost, but a further breakdown would be nice.

But to say he only does what he wants is not accurate, there is a board and they do meet and vote on things. This is not 100% his decision. And like you said, there is always the option to vote new members in, but I don't see anyone wanting to stand up and put in the time that he does. So let's cool it for a bit, allow him to provide more information and have civil discussions about all this.

He's provided all the information he's going to. I have heard countless stories of him just doing whatever he wants and going against what others suggest.

I would be eager to see anybody get on this board who is a voting member and say that they voted to raise the price from 300 to 1500. That price is stupid. Bowers needs to go.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Why then the clandestine nature of operation?  Why are so many meetings held behind closed doors?  How do we know that we need to vote in new members when we don't really know whats going on in all those closed door meetings?  What are the issues that are coming to the board for a vote?  How did our region director vote? How did others within the leadership vote?

Minutes of every Annual Meeting are posted on our web site. (There is a section for Budget)

Please go to https://www.tnusawrestling.com/page/show/948194-meeting-minutes

2018 Annual Meeting of TWF
Holiday Inn Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, TN
Members present
Ben Bowers Chairman
Doug Badon Vice Chairman
Garrett House Membership Director
Michael Scott Women’s Director
Jerry Teaster East Director
David Isabell Middle North Director
Pete Miller Middle South Director
James Torres South Director
Nelson Shirley West Director
Shane Weller Technology and Communication Director
*Also present Josh Sturgill(acting treasurer) and Mark Beckwith(acting Secretary)
Awards
Youth of the year Hunter Sturgill

Schoolboy of the year
Sammy Shires

Cadet FS Cooper Flynn
Cadet GR Cody Chittum

Junior FS Grant Lundy
Junior GR Sawyer Knott and Tommy Brackett
Female of the year Kenya Sloan

Women’s coach of the year Junior Jimenez

Official of the year Garrett Bowers

Volunteer of the year Christa Palmieri
TWF Member of the year Nelson Shirley
Positions up for vote
West TN Director
East TN Director
Membership Director
Secretary
Technology/Communication director
Josh Sturgill to fill vacancy from outgoing midterm departure. Garrett House nominated
Josh and the board unanimously voted to allow Josh to finish the term that had been vacated
Garrett House motions for Treasurer and Technology Director to be voting members of the board and Secretary to be non voting member of the board. This motion passed unanimously by the board members present.
**tabled item** Technology Director training
Policies and Procedures
Athletes for Best of the Best selected by region director and coach per Chairman Ben Bowers
**Tabled item** Athletes for national duals teams. State champion will get first position at the weight they won. If they change weight then coach decides and any positions in question can be appealed to the board.
Athletes to attend SE regionals
MUST attend State tournament
**tabled item** clarification of meaning of validated and verified proof of life events for waivers from State tournament
Male Athletes to attend Junior/Cadet Nationals(Fargo)
MUST attend State and SE regionals or receive waiver from board once the meaning of “validated and verified” proof is detailed from tabled item
Coaches on National Duals teams
MUST fill out coaches application, signed Coaches Code of Conduct, attend the State tournament, be invited(by board approval) to and attend dual team camp, and must also have good chemistry with team and the coach and club must be in good standing with the TWF Coaches for Junior/Cadet Nationals(Fargo)
Coaches application, code of conduct and attend State tournament, Ironman, Best of the Best and help TWF run these events or get a waiver from the board. Attend SE regionals, attend National training camp, interview with a member of the board and have chemistry with team and the coach and club must be in good standing with TWF
Budget for 2019
Presented to board for release to TWF members. Current projected budget expenses and cost for Junior/Cadet Nationals set at $1500. The projected budget was approved unanimously by the board.
**Tabled items**
Women’s director keys on growing women’s wrestling for 2019
Directors roles
Open dates on schedule of events
Amendments to Bylaws
Change where it says “written notice” to “Written notice and/or Email/Electronic notice”.
This change was voted in unanimously by the board
Article 2
Proposed adding the phrase “and chartered as of the last day of the preceding month of
May” . This motion failed to pass the board vote

Huh, last year it was voted on a wrestler must attend SER... This year “a regional tournament “. Why the change after all the we have to wrestle our regional tournament? Three years, three different sets of rules. Call it what you want but I say it’s bull$h1t. 

• Like 1

Having been a member of numerous not for profit (501c3) boards over the years I must say that the minutes and budget of Tennessee Wrestling Federation are quite vague at best.  I see absolutely no reason that a member club that is in good standing (have paid their dues) could not ask for (Send a certified letter) and receive a copy of the 2018 audited books along with receipts for purchased items in a  reasonable (30 days maximum) amount of time.  You should also be able to request a copy of the 2019 proposed budget with financial figures attached.  Most 501c3 organizations will post a copy of the certified and audited books online for everyone's viewing pleasure.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1