Cadet and Junior Nationals Wrestler Qualifications and Details for Fargo

BMBowers

7 minutes ago, Thethunda190 said:

The Junior team has had success the past couple years, we have had multiple Fargo AA's, I think the sportsmanship award a couple times at the duals and all this while a man, who apparently everyone hates, is the chairman. I think this could all be solved if just a couple guys would sack up an apologize to each other. So all though i don't always agree with Bowers I do believe if him and a couple other people would get there #### together Tennessee would take people by storm this summer  

This specific example is a reflection of the coaching staff, not Bowers.

There are issues within the board that need addressing. Funds, ref pay, coaches pay, etc that are a direct reflection of the chair of the board. The fish rots from the head, so to speak.

Edited by Ummmno

36 minutes ago, Thethunda190 said:

Not true.. While I don't agree with everything the man does he does have a lot of traits that are useful for a chairman. I think, and i have told him this face to face, if he wasn't so controlling and let the people put around him do more he actually wouldn't be doing that bad. 

The Junior team has had success the past couple years, we have had multiple Fargo AA's, I think the sportsmanship award a couple times at the duals and all this while a man, who apparently everyone hates, is the chairman. I think this could all be solved if just a couple guys would sack up an apologize to each other. So all though i don't always agree with Bowers I do believe if him and a couple other people would get there #### together Tennessee would take people by storm this summer  

sorry thunda i do not agree. you are listing accomplishments that are accomplished by athletes and coaches.  if you are referring to him as a coach that is comical. list me some things the head of the board is accomplishing.

1 hour ago, woodywoodpecker said:

sorry thunda i do not agree. you are listing accomplishments that are accomplished by athletes and coaches.  if you are referring to him as a coach that is comical. list me some things the head of the board is accomplishing.

Isn't one of his responsibilities to bring the best coaches and athletes from the state together for the team? Or did i forget something and we just pull them out of a hat? As someone who has coached the Junior team the last two years I can tell you he is definitely not a coach but he did give us the freedom of making our line ups and giving us the freedom to do what we saw fit with the team on the mat. As for the funds, ref pay,and coaches pay I have no clue.

5 minutes ago, Thethunda190 said:

Isn't one of his responsibilities to bring the best coaches and athletes from the state together for the team? Or did i forget something and we just pull them out of a hat? As someone who has coached the Junior team the last two years I can tell you he is definitely not a coach but he did give us the freedom of making our line ups and giving us the freedom to do what we saw fit with the team on the mat. As for the funds, ref pay,and coaches pay I have no clue.

I mean its not like the coaches weren't already known.  Its pretty well accepted who they will be, for both styles. We have extremely established coaches in this state with extremely well established set of credentials. These guys would be coaching no matter who was in charge of the TWF.

1 hour ago, Thethunda190 said:

Ed, heres the deal.. yes our junior teams have done sightly better the last 2 seasons but why? 

Right now,  TN currently has 7 wrestlers wrestling in D1.   8 if we count Oliver as a TN wrestler.  

This year’s graduating class of seniors has 7 TN wrestlers that signed with D1 programs. That is a huge jump in the number of D1 wrestlers that TN inormally produces each year.  This year’s Junior class is even better and looks to have about 10 D1 wrestlers and then it really starts to explode with  this year’s sophomore and freshman classes as they looks to have about 15 to 20 D1 wrestlers for each class.  

Tn wrestling is exploding and we are starting to become very competitive at the national level.  Go back and watch some of the matches from National Prep, Willie wouldn’t stop gushing about TN Wreslting.  

Now why is TN wrestling exploding right now and jumping levels and why did our USA Junior team do slightly better the past 2 years? 

The answer to that goes back a little over a decade ago, when Don Barnett took over TNAAU and slowly every year he improved that organization until it became one of the best run, most competitive, largest youth wrestling program in the country today. 

TN wrestling interest and numbers are growing as fast as any state in the country and the quality of our wrestling is exploding. 

Every high school coach in this state should call up Don and the current TNAAU board and tell them thank you!  I would guess that almost every kid that stood on the TSSAA podium was a product of the TNAAU system and it is the TNAAU that has become the feeder program to TSSAA WRESTLING!! 

Edited by durdon
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, durdon said:

Ed, heres the deal.. yes our junior teams have done sightly better the last 2 seasons but why? 

Right now,  TN currently has 7 wrestlers wrestling in D1.   8 if we count Oliver as a TN wrestler.  

This year’s graduating class of seniors has 7 TN wrestlers that signed with D1 programs. That is a huge jump in the number of D1 wrestlers that TN inormally produces each year.  This year’s Junior class is even better and looks to have about 10 D1 wrestlers and then it really starts to explode with  this year’s sophomore and freshman classes as they looks to have about 15 to 20 D1 wrestlers for each class.  

Tn wrestling is exploding and we are starting to become very competitive at the national level.  Go back and watch some of the matches from National Prep, Willie wouldn’t stop gushing about TN Wreslting.  

Now why is TN wrestling exploding right now and jumping levels and why did our USA Junior team do slightly better the past 2 years? 

The answer to that goes back a little over a decade ago, when Don Barnett took over TNAAU and slowly every year he improved that organization until it became one of the best run, most competitive, largest youth wrestling program in the country today. 

TN wrestling interest and numbers are growing as fast as any state in the country and the quality of our wrestling is exploding. 

Every high school coach in this state should call up Don and the current TNAAU board and tell them thank you!  I would guess that almost every kid that stood on the TSSAA podium was a product of the TNAAU system and it is the TNAAU that has become the feeder program to TSSAA WRESTLING!! 

Definitely true. 

20 hours ago, durdon said:

As someone that try's to keep up with wrestling around the country I made a few calls to friends to get their opinion.  

1.  Was told by someone in PA that they are being told by other coaches in PA that USA Wrestling wants all teams to stay together, eat meals together, travel together, etc...  The reason has something to do with liability even if the athlete is traveling, lodging, eating, with their parents.  We both agreed that this sounds strange but who knows what the legal eagles at USA Wrestling are doing.  The individual had a call in to both the PA chairman and USA Wrestling for clarification.  

2.  Ohio and PA do not allow athletes to pick and choose what part of the state team travel program they want.  There is a flat fee and you may use it if you want but no discounts are allowed if you elect to not stay in the dorms or make your own travel arrangements.  

** Also just spoke with someone from Indiana and in past years they have charged about $925.00 for one style and $1025.00 if the wrestler competes in both styles.  This is a flat fee and they will not allow you to pick and choose what parts of the package you wish.  If you want to stay in a hotel, eat meals off campus, fly to Fargo, ND, etc... you still pay the entire fee.  The Indiana gentlemen also said that he has not heard anything about USA Wrestling not allowing kids to stay with their families and he didn't feel as if that could be enforced.  He did say the state association had the right to say that certain individuals could not be on the coaching staff but he had never heard of this happening.

Included in the package are the following:

A.  Charter bus transportation

B.  Room & Board in the dorms

C.  Uniform package

D.  5 day training camp

3.  In the past both PA and OH have both charged about $1000.00 to attend.

4.  In OH the coaches volunteer to coach the team during the training camps and the coaches personal clubs typically pay the travel cost for the coach to attend Fargo.  

5.  Both states are doing everything possible to keep the cost down for the wrestlers.  One of the coaches told me that his club will send 5 or 6 kids to Fargo this year and his club will pay 50% of the cost for the wrestlers.  He said that on rare occasions the private clubs have paid 100% of the cost to help families that were struggling with money.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biffmar4 said:

Just FYI Biffmar4 is me, Biff Curtis, 615-627-8708. You guys lose all credibility with me when you make silly accusations about one person having multiple accounts. If you were to put a price on the line items, what would it cost?  Simple question. 

Thank you, Biff. As another person accused of being Ben with a fake account, I appreciate your statement. I have been a long time reader and just felt the need to respond on this thread. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, durdon said:

Scott, I understand that and agree that Don and AAU wrestling have helped tremendously with the growth of Tennessee wrestling along with my growth as a coach. I wouldn't be in the spot i'm in today without them. They were the ones to first see my potential as a coach and give me the  opportunity to coach a national team and work with some of the best wrestlers in the state. 

We are talking about USA wrestling though and they don't have much, if any,  involvement in USA to my knowledge. With the number of wrestlers Tennessee has you need both AAU and USA working together not competing against each other.