Gibson County v. Summertown (2019- Quarterfinal matchup)

SuperFan14A

4 minutes ago, BABABA said:

Wow! My post seriously just went right over your head! lol. I was talking about your post and being sarcastic, maybe you can get it now.  Geezzzzzz.  And your calling me idiot lol. Classic, i’ll Stop Now,  but you have gave me a good laugh. 

It didn't go over anybody's head.  U said we're not that good.  I just stated we aren't as good as the best in the state. Don't go crawfishin trying to look smart ..............IDIOT!  

5 hours ago, Vandychris said:

25-28

5-8

Yes, it was badly officiated. When the guard has the ball and gets slapped and the ball stolen, there should be a foul called. There wasnt. Gotta call it both ways.

That is the norm for GC.  They do two things really well.  They attack the basket and draw fouls and they play amazingly disciplined defense.  All three times we played them they shot more free throws than us.  They shot more in their loss to us.  It’s their style of play and it works!  Wilkins has done a really good job teaching them how to play D without fouling!  I feel your pain, trust me!

GC team is 2 things.

1. Not flashy - they don't have any stars, but what they do have are at least  9 fundamentally sound basketball players that make smart decisions.  They won't wow you with super high point outputs, but they dang sure won't give up big points either.

2. Very sound defensively-  they lull you into a sense of complacency and then the next thing you know you are down 12 because they have turned you over on 5 straight possessions.

Their games aren't super exciting but who care because winning is exciting.  GC has to be one of the best coached teams I have seen play.  They have totally bought in to what Coach Wilkins is selling and that is saying a lot given that so many players in today's game love to score but play like defense is "optional."

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

The technical was a bad call, IMO. I didn't see that. One guy called a jump ball which I thought it was and one of them called a tech. Thought that was a terrible call. I thought GC attacked the basket and som times they called it and some times they didn't. I was very shocked at how much trouble Summertown had handling our pressure.

From what I was told.  The technical came after the jump ball as a summertown player threw and elbow.  I was told it was pretty clear.  So the jump ball was called and technical after.  The possession arrow didn’t change because summertown never inbounded the ball. I wasn’t sure about the technical either but was told it was absolutely right call. And that was not from a GC fan.  

GC played a great game<period>. The refs were about as bad as refs can be at the state tourney level. Between the refs and the score keeper they killed the momentum of the game. The Refs didn’t beat Summertown though. GC beat Summertown with very solid defense and what looked like a sleepy Summertown. Summertown defense was slow and not what I seen a week or so ago. GC played great fundamental basketball. I love that brand. Great to job GC!! I hope to see a Loretto v. GC finals. Lady Eagles should be contenders next year if they can hang in to players; basketball loses a lot of good players to other sports.

14 hours ago, westtnsportsfan said:

Thinks that’s happened both times these two teams played.   Maybe it’s just the way these two play and matchup.  GC has been known for good disciplined defense all year.  

You are correct.  As a follower of GC for years. You better get ready to play the whole court, the whole game if your playing any GC team. In my opinion,  GC and Greenfield are head and shoulders above any team in class A. We are used to playing that style.  When you play and beat teams like Westview, Southside, Sommertown,TCA your battle tested. Westview will bring hone the Gold ball in my opinion. Go Gibson County! Go Westview! 

12 hours ago, JacketPride5 said:

Possum stomp?  It was a 5 point victory when Edie Darby was out due to a stress fracture.  I’m not even sure that guy is a Greenfield fan, but either way, that was an ignorant statement from that guy.  We need to focus on beating a good Loretto team before we start talking about beating anyone in the championship game.

Yeah. Must be someone who knows nothing about the two teams.  Any given night either team can win at full strength or not. People thought GC was toast in Region Finals starting out like 12 or so to 0! Gibson County competes the whole game, the whole court just like Greenfield.  Gibson County got within 3, but just couldn't stop trading basket for basket. I predict Greenfield  and Gibson County in the finals. The TSSAA better hope so too. The crowd support will be tremendous!