Top 10 3A

thenextone

7 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Like I said, UHS, who I am most familiar with, doesn't have the talent that Alcoa does but has a heck of a coach in Caine. They do have 3 kids getting some serious looks. Two are like 6'4 300's OL/DL and the other is the QB. I expect all do sign with OVC or higher programs.  

Caine is a heck of a coach. I have tons of friends from Putnam county and I spent some great yrs there in college, so I wish them the best. Keep us posted during the season. I can see Alcoa and Upperman possibly meeting again in the semis.

28 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Was at a Milan spring scrimmage last week. Lost 14-8 to 5A runner up Henry Co. First let me say that Henry Co is loaded and will be a very good team this next year. Milan had every opportunity to beat them. New qb that was a wr last year. Kid can run it or throw it. Will probably see a lot of qb option this next year. However he missed some throws to wide open receivers. Got to learn to put some touch on the ball. If he does that it will free up the run game even more. Defense for Milan looked stout and made HC work for everything they got. And Milan was without a few starters due to spring sports including their best player Orlandis Williamson. Should be a good year. 

Good luck this year BPM.  Be very cool to see Milan win their side of the bracket and be Cookeville!

15 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Good luck this year BPM.  Be very cool to see Milan win their side of the bracket and be Cookeville!

Fingers crossed bro. I will see you sometime this season regardless. However I think Milan has to among 3-4 teams on this side of the bracket that can realistically challenge to be in Cookeville. First game of the season will tell a lot. Have to play 2A champ Trenton Peabody at Trenton. They bring back almost everyone and have gotten several transfers in the offseason. I honestly feel like they will be better than anybody on this side of the bracket in 3A. If we can hang with them or beat them that will be a very good thing. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Like I said, UHS, who I am most familiar with, doesn't have the talent that Alcoa does but has a heck of a coach in Caine. They do have 3 kids getting some serious looks. Two are like 6'4 300's OL/DL and the other is the QB. I expect all do sign with OVC or higher programs.  

Not saying you are not familiar with Upperman but I saw Upperman's JV team last year and they were horrible.  If they are relying on any of them they will have a rough time.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:35 AM, thatdevilforrest said:

Not saying you are not familiar with Upperman but I saw Upperman's JV team last year and they were horrible.  If they are relying on any of them they will have a rough time.

Uppermans jv is mostly freshmen with a couple of sophomores sprinkled in 2-3 sophomores I think. That freshmen group from last year has alot of talent. Maybe you caught them on a bad week. They did however win the championship as 8th graders. They will be a tough group as juniors and seniors. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, MadHatter1 said:

Uppermans jv is mostly freshmen with a couple of sophomores sprinkled in 2-3 sophomores I think. That freshmen group from last year has alot of talent. Maybe you caught them on a bad week. They did however win the championship as 8th graders. They will be a tough group as juniors and seniors. 

I saw them play the York JV and York is pretty much the same (freshmen and sophs) and York abused them.  I was very surprised at how lopsided the game was.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:40 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You know rankings during the season and teams that actually have a chance to make it to Cookeville are 2 different things. My top 5 was strictly based on who I thought has the best chance of going to the ship. Some teams will take losses in the reg season that may drop them in the polls but will make them better. There are some teams that will have great seasons but won’t sniff the title game having said that you can probably count on Fairview to be a good team. Stratford, Giles Co., Camden, Red Bank and Squatch will all probably be good. But I just really think the 5 i previously mentioned will be there in the end. 

This is very true !! Look at what Milan opens up against ,just the 2A champs with the house returning and a couple of huge transfers !!!! A game that's doen to the wire against solid comp. only makes you stronger !!!

• 1 month later...

Covington is losing a lot with this past senior class. However, most of their defense (which faired dang well against a very good Alcoa offense) is returning. Also, Mr. Football finalist MJ is now a Junior! Kirby is about all you could hope for in a replacement to Wheeler. He is a go get’er and will get many kids out on that field. I’ve mentioned earlier, that if Covington had the talent from the stands at those Friday night games, they would be very hard to beat in any classification. Kirby can get those athletes to play on Friday nights and will. I expect Covington to challenge for a 3rd consecutive year, however, the local competition will get tougher!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 8:29 PM, dragonrider said:

3) A-E (if they could just block somebody)

Uh please explain the, "blocking somebody" post?  If you don't know, AE's line was mainly Freshmen and Sophomores last year.  The OLine should be one of the strengths this year