Westview vs Cheatham Co

BearcatDad

4 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

This was a game in where I was completely disappointed in the officiating towards the end of the game. 

First, it was clearly evident that Cheatham County's coach was calling a time out with 44 seconds left in the game. I mean, you can't miss it. However, a Cheatham County player turned the ball over, in a situation that should not have happened if the official just glanced at the coach for not even a half second. 

Second, with 26 seconds left in the game, Cheatham County #12 took a charge, that should've been a blocking foul. She was clearly moving back and I mean, clearly moving back for there was contact made. In my textbook of "what's a charge/blocking foul" that is clearly a block, but kudos to CC #12 for getting her feet set, but you moved back before contact was made.

Third, Cheatham County was winning 42-40 with 5.8 seconds where I foul occurred. A Cheatham County player missed her first free throw and a Westview player went to grab the rebound (treating it like a 1 and 1 situation), but she got confused. However, she wasn't the only one that got confused because the clock operator started the clock and it went down to 5.2 seconds, and none of the officials realized it. No excuses there. EVERY TICK COUNTS!!!!

Last, same situation as the third one, just after the second free throw was missed (5.2 seconds left). Westview #35 was jumping up to get a rebound but was pushed by Cheatham County's #3 (arm bar in the back) and was missed. You can see clear separation. Cheatham County got the rebound, was foul again and made one free throw.

If you were in Murfreesboro watching the game, you'll probably think I am an idiot. However, if you recorded this game and have the luxury and going back and fourth, you'll see exactly what I am talking about. Report card grade: F

The block/charge call should be more consistent. Some refs would call a block on a statue if the offensive player doesn't hit them square, and some will favor the charge call unless the defensive player hit's them in stride. The block/charge should be called on the player invading space occupied by the opposing player..."moving back before contact" is absolutely not a foul if "back" means away from the contact.

2 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

What about the call where the ball hit bottom of net and then went into the rim from the top and came down through the net? Is it really a “no basket” and automatically given to the other team?! Or is it supposed to be at least a jump ball like when the ball gets stuck between backboard and rim?

Same as behind the backboard.

9 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

What about the call where the ball hit bottom of net and then went into the rim from the top and came down through the net? Is it really a “no basket” and automatically given to the other team?! Or is it supposed to be at least a jump ball like when the ball gets stuck between backboard and rim?

Correct call.

• Like 1

Just now, sportslover88 said:

You sure about that? It’s still in the game of play and not out of bounds like backboard 

The backboard is inside the baseline, but the dead space behind it is considered out of bounds. Shoot over it from behind without touching anything, and it's still "out"... same principal applies.

7 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

This was a game in where I was completely disappointed in the officiating towards the end of the game. 

First, it was clearly evident that Cheatham County's coach was calling a time out with 44 seconds left in the game. I mean, you can't miss it. However, a Cheatham County player turned the ball over, in a situation that should not have happened if the official just glanced at the coach for not even a half second. 

Second, with 26 seconds left in the game, Cheatham County #12 took a charge, that should've been a blocking foul. She was clearly moving back and I mean, clearly moving back for there was contact made. In my textbook of "what's a charge/blocking foul" that is clearly a block, but kudos to CC #12 for getting her feet set, but you moved back before contact was made.

Third, Cheatham County was winning 42-40 with 5.8 seconds where I foul occurred. A Cheatham County player missed her first free throw and a Westview player went to grab the rebound (treating it like a 1 and 1 situation), but she got confused. However, she wasn't the only one that got confused because the clock operator started the clock and it went down to 5.2 seconds, and none of the officials realized it. No excuses there. EVERY TICK COUNTS!!!!

Last, same situation as the third one, just after the second free throw was missed (5.2 seconds left). Westview #35 was jumping up to get a rebound but was pushed by Cheatham County's #3 (arm bar in the back) and was missed. You can see clear separation. Cheatham County got the rebound, was foul again and made one free throw.

If you were in Murfreesboro watching the game, you'll probably think I am an idiot. However, if you recorded this game and have the luxury and going back and fourth, you'll see exactly what I am talking about. Report card grade: F

For the record, myself and all of Gibson County were pulling for Westview. But from a totally unbiased perspective,....the refs did not cost Westview that game. That game could've went either way and they were letting them play on both ends of the court. Johnson did not have her best game today, but Cheatham County just kept coming and they were some costly turnovers late in the game by both teams. CC capitalized where WV didn't.  Those Douglas girls are players. When you hold a team about 26 points below their season average, you typically win. Another 3 here or there, and it's a different outcome. Congrats to Cheatham County on winning the Gold one, but proud of WV for bringing home the Silver. 

.....and something else interesting, Westview has made 9 of the last 11 state tournaments. They've got the best scorer from our area in years joining them from the jr high ranks this summer. Keep your head up in Martin....I don't think you guys are falling off the map anytime soon and I wished Coach W would take some pointers from your defensive shifts to use in the future. See y'all next season. 

8 hours ago, midtnmale said:

And perhaps congratulations can just be given to the winning team. Or nothing said at all. Because it will change nothing. Just as replying to people of your mindset is a waste of time. 

Perhaps, but replying to get under your skin is not a waste of time.  You thinking anyone might care what you say, that is a waste of time.  Just as you said, say nothing at all but what’s the purpose of saying nothing on a message board?  The whole purpose of these boards is for information, the have armchair fans get all excited about kids who don’t care how they feel about them, and to troll people. Seems to be working wouldn’t you say?  Nevermind, don’t respond as it would be just a waste of time.