Goodin resigns @ McMinn Central

OldCharger

On 3/14/2019 at 9:14 PM, hohmaster said:

I can't answer you because I don't know your definition of what a "central guy" is.  I talked directly to Brent two weeks ago and he said he wouldn't be interested. His wife told a relative of mine a week ago he wouldn't be interested. It was known over a month ago that Goodin wasn't going to coach next year so that's what brought about the talk.

Vestal has zero experience as a head coach. McMinn Co. folks weren't disappointed when he left the program, and I'll just leave it at that. Watching his offensive playcalling this past season at Central made me and many others question his ability as an offensive playcaller. It's nothing against him as a person but it would be foolish to hire him. I didn't say it would be foolish to hire a young coach but hire one that's done something.

I hope the new Supt. wants a successful program at Central and all over the county in every sport, and will be sure the AD and Principals are on board to make coaches accountable. He needs to raise the bar and let the people below him know he means what he says. Looking at past performances of some coaches in the county I'll wait to see what the new Supt. does before I pass judgment on him. 

The challenges at Central and all over the county in a lot of sports are because fans and players have been forced to accept mediocre coaches who can coach forever depending on who they are or if they are in tight with someone they report to. When apathy sets in everyone loses interest.   

I agree with you that any coach of any sport needs to create excitement for the kids and raise the performance expectations at the same time. It's been done at Central before and can be done again.

Pros and Cons about Central?? Seem to have some talent down in the McMinn area...

Boys Basketball is always represented nicely it seems. 

Does the school want football to be special? Do they go the route that every mediocre program does and hire within??? Not saying it’s a bad choice all the time. However, lots of programs are doing this now. 

The fact of getting a 1st year guy is a good thought if that guy brings all the intangibles to the table. However, admin, and school board have to give that person a chance. 

Outsiders view, I think this can be a solid job with the right candidate moving forward. 

IDK who you are assuming is "huge" but I don't see it being Davis. That'd be like him going to Basin, there is already enough drama going on about his departure no need to fan the flames and go to a rival 20mins up the road. Not to mention all the beatings and trash talking that was inflicted by Derrick (to the baby blues) over 19 seasons.

18 hours ago, beardog said:

IDK who you are assuming is "huge" but I don't see it being Davis. That'd be like him going to Basin, there is already enough drama going on about his departure no need to fan the flames and go to a rival 20mins up the road. Not to mention all the beatings and trash talking that was inflicted by Derrick (to the baby blues) over 19 seasons.

You certainly have a right to your opinion. I don't know what the thought process is either, however, he could possibly be wearing those "baby blues" next season. 

On 3/21/2019 at 1:39 PM, OldCharger said:

I am positive there is a process they have to go through before they hire someone. I expect several more interviews but the job is his to lose. Unless somebody just blows it up in an interview coming up. 

I've heard the same thing but I'll believe it when I see it. He would be a great hire but I'd be surprised by him making this move unless he's bitter at Polk for something. I hope to be proven wrong.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:07 AM, EastTNGoogleGuy said:

Pros and Cons about Central?? Seem to have some talent down in the McMinn area...

Boys Basketball is always represented nicely it seems. 

Does the school want football to be special? Do they go the route that every mediocre program does and hire within??? Not saying it’s a bad choice all the time. However, lots of programs are doing this now. 

The fact of getting a 1st year guy is a good thought if that guy brings all the intangibles to the table. However, admin, and school board have to give that person a chance. 

Outsiders view, I think this can be a solid job with the right candidate moving forward. 

There's plenty enough talent at Central to have a team competing for a district championship most years, but a lot of that talent isn't on the team. Central needs a culture change, where the athletes in the stands want to play on the field. I think the culture change will have to be driven and demanded from the Director of Schools.

• Like 1