Goodin resigns @ McMinn Central

OldCharger

Spring practice targeted to start next Monday the 29th. Coach D working on getting enough equipment right now since he had 60 sign info sheets so far. A little short of helmets right now for that many. Next big step is get the booster club cranked up like it was back a few years ago as there is several items that need to be replaced and upgraded. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldSchoolCharger said:

Spring practice targeted to start next Monday the 29th. Coach D working on getting enough equipment right now since he had 60 sign info sheets so far. A little short of helmets right now for that many. Next big step is get the booster club cranked up like it was back a few years ago as there is several items that need to be replaced and upgraded. 

That's awesome to hear that many coming out

19 minutes ago, Blaster7 said:

That's awesome to hear that many coming out

And more on their way. There are a few upcoming Freshman that will see playing time this year and still 5-10 walking the halls that are close to coming out. Heard Davis was excited about the roster and the boys he has met already! Central might shock a few this year. Just sayin'

5 hours ago, OldCharger said:

And more on their way. There are a few upcoming Freshman that will see playing time this year and still 5-10 walking the halls that are close to coming out. Heard Davis was excited about the roster and the boys he has met already! Central might shock a few this year. Just sayin'

I figured Davis getting the job and the kids knowing he can put them in the position to win games would get some kids out. I know one thing if put I the effort and have the right attitude you will play and the results will be good. I'm excited to see how this goes. Definitely be an improvement this year but next year and the years to come Central should be tough to handle. 

Alright, I hate to be “that guy,” and please don’t take this personal.....but for years I’ve always heard the same narrative concerning McMinn Central football - the same old “we have athletes walking the halls, but they don’t play football” statement. And I’m gonna be honest, I really don’t see it right now. I mean the boys basketball team was mediocre at best this year, and the baseball team has only won like 1 game?? And I’ve never heard of the boys soccer team ever being any good. So if there are big time athletes at Central who do not play football, how come these same athletes are not having success in other sports? 

Again, PLEASE don’t take this personal. I have a lot of respect for Central, and I think DD will turn the program around and be successful....But I’m tired of hearing “We have athletes, but they just don’t play football.”  That narrative might have been true a decade ago or even a few years ago, but I don’t think it’s true right now. 

50 minutes ago, Kee4Life said:

Alright, I hate to be “that guy,” and please don’t take this personal.....but for years I’ve always heard the same narrative concerning McMinn Central football - the same old “we have athletes walking the halls, but they don’t play football” statement. And I’m gonna be honest, I really don’t see it right now. I mean the boys basketball team was mediocre at best this year, and the baseball team has only won like 1 game?? And I’ve never heard of the boys soccer team ever being any good. So if there are big time athletes at Central who do not play football, how come these same athletes are not having success in other sports? 

Again, PLEASE don’t take this personal. I have a lot of respect for Central, and I think DD will turn the program around and be successful....But I’m tired of hearing “We have athletes, but they just don’t play football.”  That narrative might have been true a decade ago or even a few years ago, but I don’t think it’s true right now. 

Central finished the season this year with around 35 kids dressed from 4 classes. Coach Davis had 60 show up when he ask to meet the kids, and that was just 3 classes. Nothing personal taken.... just making a point. Same thing happened when Brandon Derrick was hired, Central's team numbers increased by about 20 during that time too. Time will tell...

10 hours ago, Kee4Life said:

Maybe because they don't play ANY sports! 

Basketball has a Freshman that played football for the Knights last year that is an athlete. 

Basketball had a Junior that did not play any other sports and did not start that would make for an excellent football player! He is coming out for football. 

Basketball has a transfer that had to sit out all last year because of the transfer rule that is an athlete. 

Plenty of Freshman and Sophomore basketball boys that would make better football players. 

There are plenty of "farm" kids and FFA kids that focus solely on FFA that would have helped. One of them is 6'5 250lbs, strong and has a mean streak. 

There are PLENTY more examples of this. Why do you think baseball is struggling? They have players that simply aren't playing at all. Some choosing to focus solely on golf. Sport specialization is hurting CHS. Hopefully Derrick fixes that issue. 

1 hour ago, OldCharger said:

Maybe because they don't play ANY sports! 

Basketball has a Freshman that played football for the Knights last year that is an athlete. 

Basketball had a Junior that did not play any other sports and did not start that would make for an excellent football player! He is coming out for football. 

Basketball has a transfer that had to sit out all last year because of the transfer rule that is an athlete. 

Plenty of Freshman and Sophomore basketball boys that would make better football players. 

There are plenty of "farm" kids and FFA kids that focus solely on FFA that would have helped. One of them is 6'5 250lbs, strong and has a mean streak. 

There are PLENTY more examples of this. Why do you think baseball is struggling? They have players that simply aren't playing at all. Some choosing to focus solely on golf. Sport specialization is hurting CHS. Hopefully Derrick fixes that issue. 

One of the things Coach Davis told the kids on that first meeting when ask was that he wants kids to play multiple sports if they want. At this level, you got to share athletes to be competitive. I have read a couple reports from orthopedic Dr.s that the "specialization" in sports of the middle and high school age kids actually increases the chance of injury due to the repeated impacts and same motor movements that occur year round. Makes a lot of sense to me, when I grew up in a time that you played whatever sport was in season, we never had the number of joint injuries that kids have now.