Gibson County V. Loretto (2019 Single A Championship)

SuperFan14A

45 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Oh don't worry. Karly Weathers WILL be a Class A Miss Basketball Finalists her final 3 seasons in high school & WILL win the Award at least 2 out of 3 years remaining.

I heard talking to some Loretto fans before we played Summertown, that it's in her family.  Dad was a star baseball player, mom a standout at Belmont I think. It's in her gene's. I wish i had some of that in my family! 

Edited by gcfan2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gcfan2 said:

I heard talking to some Loretto fans before we played Summertown, that it's in her family.  Dad was a star baseball player, mom a standout at Belmont I think. It's in her gene's. I wish i had some of that in my fa! 

She's a great player & was only a freshman this season. The only part of her game that I think she needs to work on is going to her left (off-hand). She can dribble OK left-handed but you can tell that she's not as comfortable dribbling and/or taking the ball to her left. If she is able to do that better starting next season she will be unstoppable because she can already shoot the ball from way beyond the 3-pt. line.

She's a good passer too but in the Championship Game there wasn't much of that to show because the coaching was depending/allowing her to do basically all the scoring for them.

42 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

She's a great player & was only a freshman this season. The only part of her game that I think she needs to work on is going to her left (off-hand). She can dribble OK left-handed but you can tell that she's not as comfortable dribbling and/or taking the ball to her left. If she is able to do that better starting next season she will be unstoppable because she can already shoot the ball from way beyond the 3-pt. line.

She's a good passer too but in the Championship Game there wasn't much of that to show because the coaching was depending/allowing her to do basically all the scoring for them.

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind the coaches will work with her on that. She was "unconscious" on some of those 3's she hit. Guarded by one of our best defensive players too. Kudos to her. Very promising future.  They should be in the state title run for the next 2-3 years. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gcfan2 said:

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind the coaches will work with her on that. She was "unconscious" on some of those 3's she hit. Guarded by one of our best defensive players too. Kudos to her. Very promising future.  They should be in the state title run for the next 2-3 years. 

Weathers is a great player and will be playing on TV a bunch soon. Like another poster said, think she needs to work on going left more. But she and her team almost pulled it off beating Greenfield and GC. Great team!!

Edited by pioneer42

8 hours ago, tonybologna said:

Stop trying to punish or discredit Karly Weathers just because she's in Class A & not a higher Class like AA or AAA. It is what it is sir. She's a star basketball player at the Class A level. Stop the nonsense talk!

“Star player at the Class A Level” you said it.  Nobody discredited her for being a star class a player.  

2 hours ago, EagleOldEyes said:

“Star player at the Class A Level” you said it.  Nobody discredited her for being a star class a player.  

You act as if 1A/2AA/3AAA are different levels, and they're not, just different classifications due to size. Statistically speaking, there's a better percentage that a single player of great skill could be found on a 3AAA team... I get that. What you don't seem to accept is the fact that a 1A team can have a player of equal or greater talent than the bigger schools. Find a freshman example of a better (or equal) player in the state right now in any classification and we'll continue this discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleOldEyes said:

She was the best player period at all levels in the tournament.  A, AA & AAA. Ever heard of Walter Payton? Guess where he went to college?  Jackson State in Mississippi.  Randy Moss. ...Marshall.  Classification means nothing in sports if your an athlete. Give the girl her due. She could play on any AAA team I saw playing this weekend. 

Congrats to Gibson County on their game and state championship last night.  You have a great team and coaching staff.  I'm proud of my Loretto Lady Mustangs and their players on a great season.  It was a tough 3 days, especially the last 2.  Catching Greenfield and  Gibson County back to back is super tough work and a tall order.  I think with our group, we will be back to the Boro next year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gogold said:

Congrats to Gibson County on their game and state championship last night.  You have a great team and coaching staff.  I'm proud of my Loretto Lady Mustangs and their players on a great season.  It was a tough 3 days, especially the last 2.  Catching Greenfield and  Gibson County back to back is super tough work and a tall order.  I think with our group, we will be back to the Boro next year. 

It would take a major catastrophe for Loretto to not be in class A state title contention for the next 2-3 years.  They did have a tough road to travel playing Greenfield and Gibson County in order to win Gold. Although,  if either of them (GF or GC) had lost in the first round, (which could have happened) it may have been different. I just think our Seniors were very motivated from the past tournament losses they've had. Loretto is loaded! Tall as most AAA teams at every position. You guys have nothing to be sad about IMO. The future is bright!

It was the best Championship Day in all 3 classes in my opinion in a while. Except what happened after the Houston/Bradley game. That was disappointing. 

Edited by gcfan2