Spring Practice time is near,anyone know any practice dates yet.

BarneySox2007

Spring Football Scrimmages are starting to be fizzled out at many programs.  The combination of spring sports taking place and risking an injury going into summer workouts is just too great of a chance nowadays.  Teams get more out of 7vs7 in the summer before they start fall practice and the Scrimmages and Games really crank up.  

• Upvote 1

How are most schools handling Spring Football and kids that participate in other Spring sports?

What do most football programs do with regards to kids that participate in Summer baseball and AAU basketball?  If the kids are participating in legitimate national tournaments are they excused from early Fall practices or are they punished or cut from the football team?

48 minutes ago, cbg said:

How are most schools handling Spring Football and kids that participate in other Spring sports?

What do most football programs do with regards to kids that participate in Summer baseball and AAU basketball?  If the kids are participating in legitimate national tournaments are they excused from early Fall practices or are they punished or cut from the football team?

I can say at Gallatin that kids have been encouraged to play multiple sports.  When Ponchez Mason played just a few years ago, he competed in a travel baseball team that were playing at a high level and that coincided with early fall football practices.  He did what he could until the baseball games were over and he could practice full time.  Did not seem to hurt him at all since he is at Georgia Tech on a full ride and was a Mr Football finalist.  

Edited by GWAVE1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, cbg said:

My experience at murvil was good. They let him play baseball in the spring. I don’t think they would have liked missing fall practice though. I would guess you would be treated like any other missed practice-xtra running.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, strongx said:

My experience at murvil was good. They let him play baseball in the spring. I don’t think they would have liked missing fall practice though. I would guess you would be treated like any other missed practice-xtra running.

That's the problem that I have with football coaches.  If you have a kid that is a legitimate college recruit and their national tournament is in late July the coaches want to punish them if they show up to practice the day after the national tournament is over.  

On 3/14/2019 at 11:47 AM, cbg said:

From a smaller school 85% of our skill guys are on the track. This is our time to get a look our big boys and some of the younger guys. Mostly freshmen and sophomores.