Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2019-20 and why?

gogold

6 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

Viewed a bit of summer ball over @ Bethel monday afternoon. Huntingdon looked good as did Trenton. Peabody did a good job penetrating the Fillie defense. They've got very good quickness. Mckenzie looked OK but we missing a couple starters. Clarksburg may surprise some folks. Pretty solid team. Bradford looked OK. South Gibson has a lot of work to do. Fillies probably looked to be the best team I saw. Girls seem to be buying in to coach Wilkins system. Reed and Swenson are elevating their game. Very talented duo.

We are playing Huntingdon in Covington on Monday. Huntingdon will be really good I predict with their new coach. Them Loretto and Summertown 2 of the three I predict will be in the Boro. We will be without our starting PG for a while with an injured hand looks like. Did it against TCA in the first half on Thursday, a game which we were leading by 6 before she went out and eventually lost as TCA took advantage and created some TO's late. We were playing lights out until we lost her as it has changed everyone up and we are sacrificing games to get some guard depth built up. Guard that broke her ankle in the state was playing her first game back when our PG went down. If we can get healthy and stay healthy during season we will be really good. We have one of the better offensive teams we have had in a while. We just have to get better defensively which I feel confident we will. Injuries will be bad short term but will give some young kids some playing time that will help us during season.

3 hours ago, gogold said:

Karly Weathers received an offer from the Lady Vols today !   Coach Kelli Jolly Harper will be getting a really good one as a player and a leader on the floor, if she can sign her in the next few years.  

Good for her. She is a good player. If they play like they did against Greenfield last year, they will be tough to handle. Single A is going to be tough again this year. No gimmes for sure. TCA will be a big favorite to win Single A Division II. They are loaded. Going to be interesting. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, Croppygenius said:

Viewed a bit of summer ball over @ Bethel monday afternoon. Huntingdon looked good as did Trenton. Peabody did a good job penetrating the Fillie defense. They've got very good quickness. Mckenzie looked OK but we missing a couple starters. Clarksburg may surprise some folks. Pretty solid team. Bradford looked OK. South Gibson has a lot of work to do. Fillies probably looked to be the best team I saw. Girls seem to be buying in to coach Wilkins system. Reed and Swenson are elevating their game. Very talented duo.

That’s great to hear if Peabody is looking decent this early on after everything they have graduated the last 2 years. I know this years team for Coach Hart will be extremely young and inexperienced! All current sophs and below. Be interesting to see how Hart develops the 8th graders and how quickly they can play because they didn’t have much in middle school. Not a huge group of kids either, I think will only be 8-10 kids playing so that could be a problem when pressing with fouls as Peabody is usually very aggressive with Coach Hart’s style of defense and offense. 

GC, Huntingdon and Covington played more or less a round robin at Covington with three good games. Huntingdon beat GC, GC beat Covington and Covington beat Huntingdon. Covington looked the better of the three today, IMO but all three teams are tough. We are playing without our starting PG and Huntingdon is just getting started with a new system and they are going to be a handful with Fuller back especially once they get their new system in tact. Covington beat us last Friday and Dyersburg and Huntingdon today. Really good AA team as is Dyersburg. TCA is loaded as well but will be in Division 2.

Got a chance to see South Side play Trenton Peabody today at Westview's team camp. And let me tell you, the pace of the game was fun to watch. South Side is young now after losing key players to graduation. Ditto for Trenton Peabody. Lots of mistakes, as you would expect working new players into starting roles. But I think come after the new year, both teams will be gradually improved. CeCe Johnson for Peabody (2021) Speedy, left handed guard who can attack in transition and is a solid passer, also gets after it defensively. Needs to develop her offensive game but the tools are there. South Side has a post in (2022) Sharneece Currie-Jelks who already has offers from D1 schools, athletic-long forward who is a willing ballhandler with a evolving offensive game. Also #12 for Peabody (heard she's a freshman) is gonna be a player to watch the next few years. She is one of the quickest players I've seen in a while.

Edited by dmm88

On 6/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, dmm88 said:

Got a chance to see South Side play Trenton Peabody today at Westview's team camp. And let me tell you, the pace of the game was fun to watch. South Side is young now after losing key players to graduation. Ditto for Trenton Peabody. Lots of mistakes, as you would expect working new players into starting roles. But I think come after the new year, both teams will be gradually improved. CeCe Johnson for Peabody (2021) Speedy, left handed guard who can attack in transition and is a solid passer, also gets after it defensively. Needs to develop her offensive game but the tools are there. South Side has a post in (2022) Sharneece Currie-Jelks who already has offers from D1 schools, athletic-long forward who is a willing ballhandler with a evolving offensive game. Also #12 for Peabody (heard she's a freshman) is gonna be a player to watch the next few years. She is one of the quickest players I've seen in a while.

That’s great! I know Coach Hart at Peabody has said this could be his fastest and quickest group that can trap and press all over the floor! They got to figure out the offensive end but with all being current sophomores and below they could be very dangerous after new year and into next season! He’s excited about 2 incoming freshmen, especially one who he’s said could be better than Mayberry! I need to get to a camp and see them play this summer! 

12 hours ago, BABABA said:

That’s great! I know Coach Hart at Peabody has said this could be his fastest and quickest group that can trap and press all over the floor! They got to figure out the offensive end but with all being current sophomores and below they could be very dangerous after new year and into next season! He’s excited about 2 incoming freshmen, especially one who he’s said could be better than Mayberry! I need to get to a camp and see them play this summer! 

Peabody needs to get better shooting the ball more consistent, IMO. Mayberry could make you pay for playing zone. And the first statement is not based on summer ball. Just based on last year. Peabody will always be a tough matchup for anyone because of their quickness and athleticism. Looks like it is going to be three wars this year between GC and Peabody. Will be interesting for sure.

Edited by pioneer42

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 10:52 PM, pioneer42 said:

Good for her. She is a good player. If they play like they did against Greenfield last year, they will be tough to handle. Single A is going to be tough again this year. No gimmes for sure. TCA will be a big favorite to win Single A Division II. They are loaded. Going to be interesting. 

I watched TCA and Gleason play a couple of days ago at a team camp. It was a great game with fast pace and went down to the wire. I think TCA won by 3, very fun to watch. I agree with your statement, TCA will be favored to win the state in their division. So tough down low. And if anyone is overlooking Gleason that would be a big mistake, they can play ! They are long and lanky and played fast which surprised me.Still had a starter or 2 that didn’t even play in that game. Also saw Trenton and Mckenzie play. Trenton is the fastest team I’ve seen all summer. If they could shoot outside they will be dangerous. Mckenzie is big, I look for them to have a good year. I think they will give Huntingdon all they want in that district but Hunt still the favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing them play with the new coach. Greenfield and Loretto are my pics to be in the Championship. With the transfer Greenfield got from Dresden that gives them enough depth to be the favorite.