All State Tournament selections

RealisticFan45

The committee for all tournament team must have been watching a different tournament than I was. Karly Weathers balled out, no doubt, but how in the world does the runner up get MVP, but Destiny Wells get left off the all tournament team in AAA and she scored more points in one game than Jada Guinn did in 2 games? Grant it, the studs showed up in that AA semifinal game, but Wells showed out as well. And Johnson for Westview makes it but Tiara Yancy doesn't and they played about the same??? What do you all think?

11 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

The committee for all tournament team must have been watching a different tournament than I was. Karly Weathers balled out, no doubt, but how in the world does the runner up get MVP, but Destiny Wells get left off the all tournament team in AAA and she scored more points in one game than Jada Guinn did in 2 games? Grant it, the studs showed up in that AA semifinal game, but Wells showed out as well. And Johnson for Westview makes it but Tiara Yancy doesn't and they played about the same??? What do you all think?

Destinee Wells was the biggest surprise to me.... she was what made Houston go in all 3 games... she should've been on there.

3 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Was Wells #24 for Houston? If so, was surprised she didn’t make it. She was a baller and was their spark in the 1st quarter/1st half for sure. 

I was actually wondering if Bradley’s 3 pointer didn’t fall, would Jamaryn Blair still have won MVP for AAA. I thought she deserved it as much as anyone, but it is rare for a runner up to win it. It does happen though and I’m ok with it, if they are the most dominant player in the tournament.

1 hour ago, FootballFan51 said:

Was Wells #24 for Houston? If so, was surprised she didn’t make it. She was a baller and was their spark in the 1st quarter/1st half for sure. 

I was actually wondering if Bradley’s 3 pointer didn’t fall, would Jamaryn Blair still have won MVP for AAA. I thought she deserved it as much as anyone, but it is rare for a runner up to win it. It does happen though and I’m ok with it, if they are the most dominant player in the tournament.

There have been several instances where a player from the winning team didn't get the MVP. In 1964 Jane Brock won for Bradley Central and they only finished 3rd back when they still played a consolation game before classification. Also in 1995 Amy Geren of Bradley Central won when they finished 2nd to Shelbyville. 

• Upvote 1

We had four girls make it that was very deserving. We had a guard that scored 51 points and was a beast defensively that I thought was going to win it. I can see giving it to a losing team if the stats were bad but our girl dominated in the clutch. Weathers is a great talent but we had a girl average 17. With them numbers our girl should have won it, IMO. But Butler got jacked around in Miss Basketball for two years so whatever. We got what we wanted!!! The Gold Ball!!!

Edited by pioneer42

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

We had four girls make it that was very deserving. We had a guard that scored 51 points and was a beast defensively that I thought was going to win it. I can see giving it to a losing team if the stats were bad but our girl dominated in the clutch. Weathers is a great talent but we had a girl average 17. With them numbers our girl should have won it, IMO. But Butler got jacked around in Miss Basketball for two years so whatever. We got what we wanted!!! The Gold Ball!!!

I think that the very thing that earned y'all the gold ball was what cost the MVP trophy. No one GC player HAD to be as relied upon as Weathers was for Loretto, because they had no weakness. Every player (sub's too) on the floor was capable of scoring or making a critical play on any possession for GC... team ball. MVP doesn't always mean best overall player (in the tourney I think it did), but most valuable to their team's success, even in a loss.  Take any player off GC's team on Wednesday morning, and they are still capable of winning the tournament... no disrespect to Loretto's other players, but the Lady Mustangs have no shot at playing on Saturday without Weathers.

I do agree that Butler should have been Miss Basketball at least once, probably twice... the comeback to win the 'ship a few years back reminded me of Reggie Miller leading the Pacers back to beat the Knicks that is so famous.

Edited by tradertwo

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I think that the very thing that earned y'all the gold ball was what cost the MVP trophy. No one GC player HAD to be as relied upon as Weathers was for Loretto, because they had no weakness. Every player (sub's too) on the floor was capable of scoring or making a critical play on any possession for GC... team ball. MVP doesn't always mean best overall player (in the tourney I think it did), but most valuable to their team's success, even in a loss.  Take any player off GC's team on Wednesday morning, and they are still capable of winning the tournament... no disrespect to Loretto's other players, but the Lady Mustangs have no shot at playing on Saturday without Weathers.

I do agree that Butler should have been Miss Basketball at least once, probably twice... the comeback to win the 'ship a few years back reminded me of Reggie Miller leading the Pacers back to beat the Knicks that is so famous.

Weathers is a great player as is Chloe Moore. She will be playing wherever she wants in a few years. Hope we all get a chance to play each other next year especially in Holiday Tournaments!!!