White House 2019

BDP2003

A new year brings a new coach roaming the sidelines. Coach Porter has been the HC since the late 80s and is no longer in charge. Ryan Hamilton is now the man tasked with leading BDP back to the promise land. I hope he does well and I believe he will lead this program to new heights. BDP baby! Go Devils. 

Thoughts? 

I am a Blue Devil through and through but I don't see us making the playoffs anytime soon. I hope I am wrong but we are losing the only offensive weapon we have had over the last few years which was the QB (and he was actually average at best). Based on what I saw of the backup last year we will be in major trouble plus I think we are going to struggle mightily in the trenches. There are just no real bright spots. I just hope I am wrong but I wouldn't count on it. Just my eval

On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, LocoLupe said:

I am a Blue Devil through and through but I don't see us making the playoffs anytime soon. I hope I am wrong but we are losing the only offensive weapon we have had over the last few years which was the QB (and he was actually average at best). Based on what I saw of the backup last year we will be in major trouble plus I think we are going to struggle mightily in the trenches. There are just no real bright spots. I just hope I am wrong but I wouldn't count on it. Just my eval

I definitely think Nixon was better than average.... You don’t think the 10-0 team had any offensive weapons? You don’t think number 13 coming back is good?  And I think 27 is a good running back he just had two seniors in front of him.  There’s actually quite a few kids in this senior class that I’ve been impressed with honestly so I’m not sure why you’re being so negative.  

Everyone can have their opinion, but I feel like every year in high school football is different so it’s hard to tell this early how good or bad a team will be. There’s 20 seniors in this years class, that’s a lot.  I really think we’re gonna be okay.  

I believe BDP will be better than some think. The turnover may be a good thing for all involved. Changes sting for some early on but long term. Blue Devil football will be fine. I think WH finishes in the top 4 and makes the playoffs. Their non-region schedule did get tougher with Station Camp and Watertown replacing East Robertson and Sycamore. 

Any staff additions? 

On 3/13/2019 at 11:53 PM, copacanobra said:

I definitely think Nixon was better than average.... You don’t think the 10-0 team had any offensive weapons? You don’t think number 13 coming back is good?  And I think 27 is a good running back he just had two seniors in front of him.  There’s actually quite a few kids in this senior class that I’ve been impressed with honestly so I’m not sure why you’re being so negative.  

Everyone can have their opinion, but I feel like every year in high school football is different so it’s hard to tell this early how good or bad a team will be. There’s 20 seniors in this years class, that’s a lot.  I really think we’re gonna be okay.  

I am not being negative. I am being realistic. I like him but I  think Nixon was an average high school qb at best. He was an above average White House QB bc of statistics. I mean even his statistics were still only a little over 1000 passing yards a year. Depending on playoffs he probably averaged somewhere around 80-90 passing yards a game. However; the statistic that really matters was not very good and thats his record as a starter. His overall record as a player was a losing record. He missed the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was at WH. We have come to accept average or a little above average as being ok at WH. When I played there if we lost 2-3 games in the regular season that was a big let down. Our defense was always solid and we were built on a solid running game with a complimentary passing game. 

I think the 10-0 team had an extremely easy schedule to be frank. This really showed itself in the playoffs that year when they should have been beat in the first round but came back in a miracle and was destroyed in the second round. Does going 10-0 really matter if you get waxed in the second round? I don't think so/ They set the schedule up like that bc the year before the team was horrific and mentally weak. That team the year before just gave up to be honest. I also believe this past year the team gave up at times. This is my honest opinion and the facts back it up. 

Cope I really want the Blue Devils to be good. I really do I can promise you that. Im just very very pessimistic about this team with everything that has happened. I believe it will be very tough on the new coaching staff. I haven't heard anything but I am assuming they still haven't hired a DC or other assistant coaches? They have to fill this coaching staff out asap bc it will hurt them greatly. The DC has to start implementing his defense now with the kids and during spring practice. If they don't get one til summer, I can guarantee they won't win more than 5 games. The reason our teams had always been great through the 90s and early 2000s was because of the assistant coaches tenure. Coach Porter honestly had nothing to do with any wins. He was a joke as far as football goes but the assistants he had around him were some of the best in the business. When WH had Dawson, Grantham, Honeycutt, Newsome, and Lamberth we won games bc of great coaching. They set up game plans that exploited the other teams weaknesses. I don't believe that has been happening the last few years. We had a large turnover in coaches and just to be honest they aren't very good. Our offense has no identity which is extremely frustrating and the defense has been getting gashed over and over. 

I say all of that to say this. I will always be a Blue Devil and I love WH. I want to see them do great things but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I hope they prove me wrong. I hope they use this as bulletin board material and pisses them off and they go out and prove me wrong.

Well, WHHS has definitely gone through some changes the past 10 years. The stability of the coaching staff has been something the program has had to overcome outside of Porter and Hamilton. I don’t think they’re as far away as you make think Loco. They do play in a tough region where 6-4 doesn’t get you in the playoffs as was the case last season. I think Hamilton will make the right hire. It may not be a quick hire as you want it to be but it’ll be the right hire. Worst thing you can do is make a quick one and the coach stays a year and is out. However, I sure hope an experienced coach is hire to help the overall young staff. I trust the admin and coach to make the best hire possible. 

I hope BDP can get back to the days where 2-3 losses is painful and stings. 

17 hours ago, LocoLupe said:

I am not being negative. I am being realistic. I like him but I  think Nixon was an average high school qb at best. He was an above average White House QB bc of statistics. I mean even his statistics were still only a little over 1000 passing yards a year. Depending on playoffs he probably averaged somewhere around 80-90 passing yards a game. However; the statistic that really matters was not very good and thats his record as a starter. His overall record as a player was a losing record. He missed the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was at WH. We have come to accept average or a little above average as being ok at WH. When I played there if we lost 2-3 games in the regular season that was a big let down. Our defense was always solid and we were built on a solid running game with a complimentary passing game. 

I think the 10-0 team had an extremely easy schedule to be frank. This really showed itself in the playoffs that year when they should have been beat in the first round but came back in a miracle and was destroyed in the second round. Does going 10-0 really matter if you get waxed in the second round? I don't think so/ They set the schedule up like that bc the year before the team was horrific and mentally weak. That team the year before just gave up to be honest. I also believe this past year the team gave up at times. This is my honest opinion and the facts back it up. 

Cope I really want the Blue Devils to be good. I really do I can promise you that. Im just very very pessimistic about this team with everything that has happened. I believe it will be very tough on the new coaching staff. I haven't heard anything but I am assuming they still haven't hired a DC or other assistant coaches? They have to fill this coaching staff out asap bc it will hurt them greatly. The DC has to start implementing his defense now with the kids and during spring practice. If they don't get one til summer, I can guarantee they won't win more than 5 games. The reason our teams had always been great through the 90s and early 2000s was because of the assistant coaches tenure. Coach Porter honestly had nothing to do with any wins. He was a joke as far as football goes but the assistants he had around him were some of the best in the business. When WH had Dawson, Grantham, Honeycutt, Newsome, and Lamberth we won games bc of great coaching. They set up game plans that exploited the other teams weaknesses. I don't believe that has been happening the last few years. We had a large turnover in coaches and just to be honest they aren't very good. Our offense has no identity which is extremely frustrating and the defense has been getting gashed over and over. 

I say all of that to say this. I will always be a Blue Devil and I love WH. I want to see them do great things but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I hope they prove me wrong. I hope they use this as bulletin board material and pisses them off and they go out and prove me wrong.

I really don’t know what was going on the 0-10 year because I was away at school and only got to come back for a couple games.

Yes the 10-0 year we did have a soft schedule, but I still think that team was good.  In my opinion that defensive coordinator was trash and was a big reason why they got beat like they did in the 2nd round.  

I agree that wins are really the only statistic that should matter, but I don’t think those losses were all his fault. It’s still a team game, and upfront we were soft last season, there’s not much any quarterback can do from his back.  I don’t think he was the greatest quarterback we’ve ever had, but I think he was above average.  

I don’t have much information on the coaching situation, but yeah it’d be nice if he was there for spring practice.  I completely agree that the standard needs to be raised and that just being good shouldn’t be the goal at White House.  

And THANK YOU for saying coach porter didn’t know what he was doing as far as Xs and Os goes.  I’ve been arguing with people on here for the last two years about this and no one seems to believe me.  Would also like to point out that Porter was part of the reason for a lot of the coaching turnover because he would piss off the assisstant coaches and they got tired of it.