If the tournament was set up like the NCAA...

Rade Butcher

I would take the top 16 teams left in the state to the boro'.  I think this would create a more competitive state tournament.  This would keep teams from having to play the same regions in the substate from year to year. I would eliminate sub-state game all together.  Probably come in to time problem, but it sure would be a lot more interesting.  A committee at that point could set tournament teams by their body of work, ie. strength of schedule, power rankings, and such. 

I'm always reminded of the time the TSSAA left Sullivan South out of the football playoffs under the "Z Plan" and sent them to Columbia at the last minute. I don't trust them.

I would put the top four teams from each District in a playoff. I would cross bracket every four districts (two regions) until they were down to two teams. Then at state there would be 16 teams.  Still working on the state part of it. I don't like the blind draw, but I don't trust the TSSAA to seed.

Yes, I like your plan.  I just think the best teams to be at the boro.  I realize that you do have to beat what's in front of you, but there have been years where weak regions send teams to state tournament and better teams are knocked out in close games.  I think better teams need to be rewarded for their body of work.  

Football wise, how many times have you seen the two best teams being from the east.  I remember years past when CAK and Alcoa were top AA in state.  A mid or west team ends up with the silver ball, when they are not the better team.  The argument is, you have to beat what is in front of you.  I still feel the same way in football that top 4 football teams should play in Middle Tennessee with a flipped bracket.  

Edited by logcabinman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, logcabinman said:

I would take the top 16 teams left in the state to the boro'.  I think this would create a more competitive state tournament.  This would keep teams from having to play the same regions in the substate from year to year. I would eliminate sub-state game all together.  Probably come in to time problem, but it sure would be a lot more interesting.  A committee at that point could set tournament teams by their body of work, ie. strength of schedule, power rankings, and such. 

I like it...we all know the best teams don't make the Final 8...and quite honestly what we consider the "state" in many cases isn't anywhere near as good as some district or region tournaments. For the record in my mind if you make the regions you are in the state championship playoffs.