Alcoa Boys Head Coaching position open

RCcoach15

22 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

It’s a great job. The potential is there to win big at Alcoa.

We have talent, just need to find the right coach. With the right coach we should be pretty good the next couple of years. There has been a lot of interest in the job with close to 30 applications. People forget Alcoa used to be considered a basketball school instead of football.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHill said:

Who was the last coach...why is he leaving? 

Joel Kirk was the last coach at Alcoa. Where do I start on why he is leaving? He lost the support of the administration,fans, and parents. It was pretty obvious that we needed to make a change. We had kids that would like to play basketball but didn't like the head coach or assistant coach. To make matters worse is the best player in the school wanted to play this year.  the assistant coach said he could't play because he quit the freshman team 3 years earlier.  This kid would have been our best player this year IMO. I could expand on a few other instances but I'll leave it at that.  

15 hours ago, Springbrookrat said:

Joel Kirk was the last coach at Alcoa. Where do I start on why he is leaving? He lost the support of the administration,fans, and parents. It was pretty obvious that we needed to make a change. We had kids that would like to play basketball but didn't like the head coach or assistant coach. To make matters worse is the best player in the school wanted to play this year.  the assistant coach said he could't play because he quit the freshman team 3 years earlier.  This kid would have been our best player this year IMO. I could expand on a few other instances but I'll leave it at that.  

Rat,

My sources over in Aluminum Town also tell me there was a TSSAA violation last year that wasn't properly reported that cost the team their Sub State victory and State Tournament appearance as well? I'm guessing that coupled with all the other inadequacies was the final straw.

If a kid doesn't play a sport he loves just because he doesn't "like the coach" he is not serious as a player anyway. Generation of soft kids. You play the sport because you want to PLAY no matter what. Don't know the coach from Adam, but I know that excuse is tired and lame. Players play, coaches coach, parents support and all three should stay in their own lane.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

If a kid doesn't play a sport he loves just because he doesn't "like the coach" he is not serious as a player anyway. Generation of soft kids. You play the sport because you want to PLAY no matter what. Don't know the coach from Adam, but I know that excuse is tired and lame. Players play, coaches coach, parents support and all three should stay in their own lane.

I got out of coaching a few years ago and I can say that this is much more prevalent now than it was when I was a player (mid-late 90s) I really didn't like my coach but I played because I enjoyed it. 

There is one time I've actually seen a kid justified in not playing because of the coach.

Edited by warmachine7954

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

For the record I generally prescribe to this school of thought, I really do. However, IF a coach actually truly is a demeaning, abusive sicko who gets his rocks off of intimidating and mind-f****** adolescents (which I understand was the dynamic with the assistant at AHS) and the kids respond negatively to it the kids are "soft". If a parent intervenes in any way whatsoever they are cast off as "that dad" or "that mom" (or God forbid "helicopter parents". But for some reason a coach gets a pass because he is "the coach". That excuse is also tired and lame. Sickos are everywhere, just look at the Catholic church. They can infiltrate the coaching profession just as easily. You have to depend on the adults in the administration to finally step up and say they have had enough which it sounds like they finally did at Alcoa.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, Springbrookrat said:

We have talent, just need to find the right coach. With the right coach we should be pretty good the next couple of years. There has been a lot of interest in the job with close to 30 applications. People forget Alcoa used to be considered a basketball school instead of football.  

First integrated team, by my own calculations, to win a State Championship. This was in the old one class system. 

1967_alcoa_boys%20bsk.jpg&w=1070&sharp=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TradgicallyHip said:

For the record I generally prescribe to this school of thought, I really do. However, IF a coach actually truly is a demeaning, abusive sicko who gets his rocks off of intimidating and mind-f****** adolescents (which I understand was the dynamic with the assistant at AHS) and the kids respond negatively to it the kids are "soft". If a parent intervenes in any way whatsoever they are cast off as "that dad" or "that mom" (or God forbid "helicopter parents". But for some reason a coach gets a pass because he is "the coach". That excuse is also tired and lame. Sickos are everywhere, just look at the Catholic church. They can infiltrate the coaching profession just as easily. You have to depend on the adults in the administration to finally step up and say they have had enough which it sounds like they finally did at Alcoa.

Sounds like the admin and head coach failed people in this situation. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Things are not always cut and dry. I was trying to put the situation mildly.  You admit to not knowing the coaches but you want to call my excuse tired and lame. Lol! Maybe you should stay in your own lane, if you know nothing about the situation. 

Edited by Springbrookrat