Alcoa Boys Head Coaching position open

RCcoach15

On 3/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, TradgicallyHip said:

Rat,

My sources over in Aluminum Town also tell me there was a TSSAA violation last year that wasn't properly reported that cost the team their Sub State victory and State Tournament appearance as well? I'm guessing that coupled with all the other inadequacies was the final straw.

This is not the main reason he was let go but it didn't help matters. His assistant coach didn't help his case either. That was probably his ultimate demise. IMO..

On 3/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, chill said:

Jared Laverdiere is a great person and Alcoa was lucky to have him as an assistant coach. He could easily be the head coach. 

Jared Laverdiere is not the assistant coach in the previous posts, either... correct?  I believe he has done an outstanding job as an assistant at Alcoa.  You can see his fingerprints throughout the improvements Alcoa has made in past couple years.

45 minutes ago, threeball said:

Jared Laverdiere is not the assistant coach in the previous posts, either... correct?  I believe he has done an outstanding job as an assistant at Alcoa.  You can see his fingerprints throughout the improvements Alcoa has made in past couple years.

That is correct, it was the other assistant that was the problem. Coach Laverdiere is an outstanding coach and person and from what I heard over the weekend is a serious candidate to get the job (along with two other current head coaches at other schools that have been interviewed). I know many in the coaching ranks who feel that Coach Laverdiere is more than deserving of that opportunity.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, Springbrookrat said:

Joel Kirk was the last coach at Alcoa.  He lost the support of the administration,fans, and parents. It was pretty obvious that we needed to make a change. To make matters worse is the best player in the school wanted to play this year.  the assistant coach said he could't play because he quit the freshman team 3 years earlier.  

My only question to this response is, if he's had trouble with the administration and or the parents, why is he going into the Administration Role at the school?  Secondly, there's local school here in Knoxville, that goes by that same thing about quitting the freshmen team. I don't like that rule/statement either.  Who is this so call "best player" you are talking about?

15 hours ago, Turtle said:

My only question to this response is, if he's had trouble with the administration and or the parents, why is he going into the Administration Role at the school?  Secondly, there's local school here in Knoxville, that goes by that same thing about quitting the freshmen team. I don't like that rule/statement either.  Who is this so call "best player" you are talking about?

That’s a tricky question and I’ll refrain from giving my opinion. As for your second question, the kid played basketball at Alcoa as an 8th grader. He was the best player on the team then. If you have followed Alcoa basketball the last few years you should know. 

Edited by Springbrookrat

On 3/28/2019 at 4:29 PM, Red Rebels said:

First integrated team, by my own calculations, to win a State Championship. This was in the old one class system. 

1967_alcoa_boys%20bsk.jpg&w=1070&sharp=1

Red Rebel, wanted to respond to this the other day but wanted to make sure I got the stats right. This team in 3 years went 96-11 with 3 state appearances, 1 Runner up, and 1 State Championship. Remarkable run for a school that had less than 400 students at the time. This team was givin the nickname mighty mites in 1965. The reason being is their tallest player was 6’2. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turtle said:

Everyone I know close to the situation says it is because Kirk genuinely is a good dude and they wanted him to be able to save face a little. It had just become apparent that he was in way over his head with the cheating, the eroding of the program and the failure to address the loose cannon assistant. They also say the new position is a title in name only with no real responsibilities. I mean seriously, why would a school that size need an assistant A.D.?