2019 Top Ten in 5A

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

Back when PrepXtra started expanded coverage, when Drew Edwards was the PX editor, Greeneville's power that be asked to be included in PrepXtra's coverage.  It continued through Jesse, Chris, and the current PrepXtra editor, for what PrepXtra is worth now that Gannett has decimiated the newspaper industry, and especially the high school sports segment of it.  

So, anyway, that was how Greeneville got "tied" to the Knoxville sports coverage market, rather than the NET market.  

I love that we are included in the Knoxville sports coverage market now. (Especially since I have lived in Knoxville for over 10 years now).  I agree with you about how prepxtra and just the general news sentinel has went down hill since being part of the USA Today.  I stopped subscribing to the news sentinel and went with 5starpreps who actually does a good job of following local sports.  I guess tricitiessports, JC press, and Kingsport Times got upset we were part of the Knoxville Market and decided to not include us in awards anymore (The whole team could be made up of Greene Devils since we have dominated that area over the last 10 years)

On 5/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, blazer1set said:

Greeneville is 4A, this is a 5A thread.   But to your point, yes, Greeneville is considered NET.

How about this...  No 5A/6A school from NET will ever be in Cookeville.

Blazer, I know you are normally very reliable with your information and your predictions.  However, I also know you very much enjoy down playing your area.  From the NET, I would argue Crockett should be in the conversation after their season last year, especially if that QB is back.  I would also think that Boone and TN High aren't very far behind them.  If i were to rank the east half of the state (Region 1 - Region 4) in 5A, I think it would look like this:

1. Knox Central

2. Powell

3. Fulton

4. Crockett 

and  then close behind (but not sure in what order) you have Oak ridge, Rhea County, South Doyle, TN High, Daniel Boone and maybe even Knox Halls (supposed to have a strong senior class).

Edited by sx1234

1 hour ago, sx1234 said:

Blazer, I know you are normally very reliable with your information and your predictions.  However, I also know you very much enjoy down playing your area.  From the NET, I would argue Crockett should be in the conversation after their season last year, especially if that QB is back.  I would also think that Boone and TN High aren't very far behind them.  If i were to rank the east half of the state (Region 1 - Region 4) in 5A, I think it would look like this:

1. Knox Central

2. Powell

3. Fulton

4. Crockett 

and  then close behind (but not sure in what order) you have Oak ridge, Rhea County, South Doyle, TN High, Daniel Boone and maybe even Knox Halls (supposed to have a strong senior class).

Crockett and Boone both had great seasons in 2018, unfortunately both cupboards will be more bare this year due to graduation.   Boone will be 5-5.   Crockett will start the season 0-2 before bouncing back to probably 7-3.    Crockett's QB is a rarity in HS football with his passing game, unfortunately it takes way more than a QB to make that type of offense work, you must have a solid line and glue-handed receivers, and that complete package only comes around every so often in NET county schools.    I'm not sure about Tennessee High, but neither of these three will even be able to stay on the field with Knox Central, Powell, Fulton, Oak Ridge.     In 6A, NET has Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill, neither of them will ever get past Maryville.   So the road to Cookeville is just not going to happen from NET.    Once again, NET means the Tri-cities and surrounding areas........

1 hour ago, sx1234 said:

1. Knox Central

2. Powell

3. Fulton

4. Crockett 

I thought Knox Central lost a lot from last year.  I am a huge fan of the coach but not sure if they have quite the right combination this year.  I hear Powell a lot and Oak Ridge mentioned a few times as well.  Fulton is always tough and I would not be surprised to see Rhea Co bounce back.  

I know nothing of West Tennessee but (and I will include HC) Beech will be very good and they think down there they can win it all this year, Henry Co should be tough as well as Hillsboro.  I think Summit might be the team south of Nashville to watch.  

32 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I thought Knox Central lost a lot from last year.  I am a huge fan of the coach but not sure if they have quite the right combination this year.  I hear Powell a lot and Oak Ridge mentioned a few times as well.  Fulton is always tough and I would not be surprised to see Rhea Co bounce back.  

I know nothing of West Tennessee but (and I will include HC) Beech will be very good and they think down there they can win it all this year, Henry Co should be tough as well as Hillsboro.  I think Summit might be the team south of Nashville to watch.  

A lot of folks said he same thing about Bryson and Central before last year.  And all he did was take his team to a State Championship.  Never count out a Bryson Rosser coached team.  Never.  There is a reason several high profile programs who had openings this past off season wanted to talk to him.  Bryson really likes where he is.  

Fulton really is going to be young.  Not to say they won't be talented, but they will be as young as they ever have, especially at the skill positions.  

Matt Lowe has Powell moving forward.  Really good QB coming back (verbal to ETSU baseball as a pitcher), and in Matt's version of the spread option a QB who can think and make the right decision is vital.  He has that, and it's my understanding that he has a freshman coming in who likely won't start over the senior this year, but could start for a lot schools.  I know that anothr Knox County school who thought they were going to get him are sick over losing him.  Powell is very talented. 

South Doyle is as talented as pretty much any school in the East side of the bracket.  Just loaded.  Their issues in the past few years have been staying healthy and keeping those talented guys on the field.  Again, they have a smart QB.  They will definitely be a factor.  

Oak Ridge is a bit of a mystery at this point.  I have had a couple of my Oak Ridge contacts tell me they have a chance to be really good, and a couple of others who indicate that their talent is in the lower grad levels and they may be a year or two away.  Be interested to see which one proves true.  

Knoxville West is Knoxville West again.  Talented, and now much better coached.  They will be a factor before all is said and done.  

Somebody mentioned Halls.  Just don't see them competing yet.  I haven't talked to Scott in a while, but word I am hearing is that he has lost a couple of coaches that he thought would be coming with him and that staff is very fluid right now.  Honestly, just not much talent in Halls right now, and much of what talent is there is going elsewhere.  Scott will get Halls back to a competitive state, IMO, but it's just going to take time.  

And on NET, I really mean no offense, but it doesn't matter how well those teams do in the regular season.  Once playoffs start and they have to meet Knoxville area teams it's a completely different story.  

The one thing that all 5A schools have in common is that they are all elated that they don't have to see Catholic any longer, and I mean that as a compliment to Coach Matthews and that entire program.  They are just at a different level, and especially when it comes to producing linemen.  They are a team that nobody wants to play come playoff time.  Obviously they are in a tough situation now having to play the likes of Ensworth, BA, McCallie, Baylor, etc.  But I have a feeling that they are going to be able to hold there own in that division once all is said and done.  

Edited by HTV

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Central did lose quite a bit, but I have the number 1 on my list for the sole reason that they are the defending state champs, and to quote my favorite wrestler, "To be the man, you got to beat the man".

9 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

Central did lose quite a bit, but I have the number 1 on my list for the sole reason that they are the defending state champs, and to quote my favorite wrestler, "To be the man, you got to beat the man".

The difference in Central and NET 5A teams is that Central has the winning mentality, the winning culture in the school.   They believe they can do it.   NET 5A schools like playing football but we never EXPECT to go far with it.   Football, while loads of fun for the fans, is just really not that important in 5A NET.  By the time the playoffs roll around most 5A NET fans are either getting ready for deer season, or Thanksgiving, or basketball season, or whatever.    I'm not saying that I like this mentality/attitude, but that is just the brutal truth of the situation.

55 minutes ago, HTV said:

A lot of folks said he same thing about Bryson and Central before last year.  And all he did was take his team to a State Championship.  Never count out a Bryson Rosser coached team.  Never.  There is a reason several high profile programs who had openings this past off season wanted to talk to him.  Bryson really likes where he is.  

Fulton really is going to be young.  Not to say they won't be talented, but they will be as young as they ever have, especially at the skill positions.  

Matt Lowe has Powell moving forward.  Really good QB coming back (verbal to ETSU baseball as a pitcher), and in Matt's version of the spread option a QB who can think and make the right decision is vital.  He has that, and it's my understanding that he has a freshman coming in who likely won't start over the senior this year, but could start for a lot schools.  I know that anothr Knox County school who thought they were going to get him are sick over losing him.  Powell is very talented. 

South Doyle is as talented as pretty much any school in the East side of the bracket.  Just loaded.  Their issues in the past few years have been staying healthy and keeping those talented guys on the field.  Again, they have a smart QB.  They will definitely be a factor.  

Oak Ridge is a bit of a mystery at this point.  I have had a couple of my Oak Ridge contacts tell me they have a chance to be really good, and a couple of others who indicate that their talent is in the lower grad levels and they may be a year or two away.  Be interested to see which one proves true.  

Knoxville West is Knoxville West again.  Talented, and now much better coached.  They will be a factor before all is said and done.  

Somebody mentioned Halls.  Just don't see them competing yet.  I haven't talked to Scott in a while, but word I am hearing is that he has lost a couple of coaches that he thought would be coming with him and that staff is very fluid right now.  Honestly, just not much talent in Halls right now, and much of what talent is there is going elsewhere.  Scott will get Halls back to a competitive state, IMO, but it's just going to take time.  

And on NET, I really mean no offense, but it doesn't matter how well those teams do in the regular season.  Once playoffs start and they have to meet Knoxville area teams it's a completely different story.  

The one thing that all 5A schools have in common is that they are all elated that they don't have to see Catholic any longer, and I mean that as a compliment to Coach Matthews and that entire program.  They are just at a different level, and especially when it comes to producing linemen.  They are a team that nobody wants to play come playoff time.  Obviously they are in a tough situation now having to play the likes of Ensworth, BA, McCallie, Baylor, etc.  But I have a feeling that they are going to be able to hold there own in that division once all is said and done.  

I know all about Rosser and him being courted by other schools.  I also know he is a really really good young coach and person.   I do however, also know that they have a bullseye on their back and they may not be at the same talent level this year.  

Lastly....only mama knows how close he came to leaving.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HTV said:

- I agree with you completely about Rosser/Central and why I have them in the top spot.  My friends in the other sport I follow told me that Cleveland went after him heavily and I know that community can put quite a bit on the table.

-Fulton will be young, but they are still the team in Knoxville that absolutely nobody wants to play- and that's for good reason.  They are always athletic and I expect that to still hold true.

-I get the impression that you are a "powell guy" and know Coach Lowe personally.  He gets hated on a lot by a lot of people, but it can't be denied that he is one of the best coaches in the area.  Most people are saying they are the pre-season top team, and had central not won the gold ball last year, I would agree with them.

-Agree with you completely about South Doyle.  They will be as athletic as any team in Knoxville, however they have struggled to maintain their success and go deep in the playoffs the last couple of years when they have had the ability to- maybe this year could be their year?

-Oak ridge is a mystery to me as well.  From what I was told, last year was supposed to be their year.  Take that with a grain of salt though, as I only have a couple of sources that way and rarely see them play.

-Knox West- See what I just said about SD.

-it was I that mentioned Halls and I was really only bringing them up to round out a top 10 (them being 10).  I mentioned them because I had heard that before all the coaching changes that this senior class was one that they were excited about, they have a new coach that's proven he can win in this league, and they did almost pull off a major upset in the first round of the playoffs last year.  I agree with you and don't think they are quite on the same level yet as the others, but I predict they will win at least 1 game this year that they aren't supposed to win.

-Again, with the NET, I respectfully disagree,  No I wouldn't bet money that a musket bowl team will make it to the semi's.  However, i do believe they are closer in comparison than blazer leads on.

32 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

The difference in Central and NET 5A teams is that Central has the winning mentality, the winning culture in the school.   They believe they can do it.   NET 5A schools like playing football but we never EXPECT to go far with it.   Football, while loads of fun for the fans, is just really not that important in 5A NET.  By the time the playoffs roll around most 5A NET fans are either getting ready for deer season, or Thanksgiving, or basketball season, or whatever.    I'm not saying that I like this mentality/attitude, but that is just the brutal truth of the situation.

I don't live that way, but I disagree buddy.  I was at the central/crocket game last year and those boys looked to me like they believed they were going to win, and they played like it.  Had they gotten a couple of breaks, they very easily could have.  You're closer than you think. 

3 hours ago, sx1234 said:

- I agree with you completely about Rosser/Central and why I have them in the top spot.  My friends in the other sport I follow told me that Cleveland went after him heavily and I know that community can put quite a bit on the table.

-Fulton will be young, but they are still the team in Knoxville that absolutely nobody wants to play- and that's for good reason.  They are always athletic and I expect that to still hold true.

-I get the impression that you are a "powell guy" and know Coach Lowe personally.  He gets hated on a lot by a lot of people, but it can't be denied that he is one of the best coaches in the area.  Most people are saying they are the pre-season top team, and had central not won the gold ball last year, I would agree with them.

-Agree with you completely about South Doyle.  They will be as athletic as any team in Knoxville, however they have struggled to maintain their success and go deep in the playoffs the last couple of years when they have had the ability to- maybe this year could be their year?

-Oak ridge is a mystery to me as well.  From what I was told, last year was supposed to be their year.  Take that with a grain of salt though, as I only have a couple of sources that way and rarely see them play.

-Knox West- See what I just said about SD.

-it was I that mentioned Halls and I was really only bringing them up to round out a top 10 (them being 10).  I mentioned them because I had heard that before all the coaching changes that this senior class was one that they were excited about, they have a new coach that's proven he can win in this league, and they did almost pull off a major upset in the first round of the playoffs last year.  I agree with you and don't think they are quite on the same level yet as the others, but I predict they will win at least 1 game this year that they aren't supposed to win.

-Again, with the NET, I respectfully disagree,  No I wouldn't bet money that a musket bowl team will make it to the semi's.  However, i do believe they are closer in comparison than blazer leads on.

It's no secret that I was the radio play by play guy for Powell on WRJZ for 13 years.  I started with Clark Duncan, then Larry Stephens, then Matt, then Derek Rang, then Tobi Kilgore, and then I left when the next guy who came, whom I won't name, and tried to dictate what I and my station could and couldn't do.  Guy didn't realize that I wasn't one of his 15 year old sophomores whom he thought would bow down to him.  We were there to support his program, not to kiss his fraudulent ring.   From the first time I met him I knew he was a fraud, and as it turned out I was right as he didn't even last the entire season.  But his AD, who didn't last long either, didn't have enough sense to listen to others about him before he was hired. 

But I regress.  

So, yes - I know Matt well and consider him a friend.  I don't talk to him nearly as often as I did in previous years. I am now the radio play by play guy for Maryville High School, so I concentrate on 6A football now, but I still have a lot of good friends in 5A, including Bryson, Scott Cummings,Caleb Slover, Clark Duncan (who was my son's coach his first two years of high school football at Powell), other head coaches, and I still am friends with a lot of guys on 5A staffs.  Been in the business of covering high school football for about 25 years, so just by longevity alone I know and interact with a lot of folks.   

And an edit:  I mentioned radio, but I have also been working in print and electronic media covering high school sports for most of those 25 years, as well.  I don't try to be everything to everybody like most of the area media do.  I just cover high school sports, primarily football and baseball.  I have zero interest in covering UT or the college scene.  I tried being part of a small college football radio crew for year, but got stabbed in the back, so that was enough of that for me.  

I'm very happy being involved in covering high school sports and I have met a ton of good people over the years, many of those who have turned in to long term friends.  

Edited by HTV