2019 Top Ten in 5A

Not sure that there is a whole lot of mystery surrounding Oak Ridge. Our new QB played some last season and played very well. The OL and DL are pretty much the same and developed into solid units last season. Coach Gaddis talks about them being small like OR lines usually are but he likes this group of linemen. The LBs are a solid unit led by Jacob Adams and he may have his little brother head hunting with him.

Now, the MYSTERIES. This mostly surrounds the skill players but the Wildcats have skill players every year so I am not worried.

Finally, the main concern Scooby Doo and the Mystery Solving Gang have is the Kicking game. Punter and PK more so than the return and coverage guys. Hee again, I am not concerned because Coach Saunders almost always produces solid talent.

Here's hoping everybody has a successful season and enjoy the ride to State for the lucky ones.

16 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

HTV.....I didn't know you did Maryville games. I have actually listened to you and enjoyed the work you do.  Of course, my favorite Radio God works for Oak Ridge.

I know you do radio but if you also work in Print write a book about Maryville. I have often wondered what made the Rebels so dominant. 

GQ

2 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Of course, my favorite Radio God works for Oak Ridge.

Radio was my second career, and I was very fortunate to be able to work in the same building with David when I first started in the business.  I have state publically many times that he, along with Eric Gerhart, who is the Farragut radio play by play guy, and Glen Morton, who did Bount County games forever, are my mentors in the business.  We all worked for the same station group at the time.  

I had to take last year off to battle some eye issues and go through a series of major eye surgeries. My former color analyst filled in as the play by play guy for me last fall.  He's moving back to Middle Tennessee in a few weeks, and I am stepping back in to the play by play chair.  

Just wanted to throw this out there. Henry County just got a transfer Freshman QB that is ranked #1 QB in the State of Tennessee and #21 in the nation for the 2023 class. Lot of expectations from that kid over the next 4 years. Dont know if he will start 5A football as a freshman yet but my guess is it is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Top 3 Knoxville teams in no order.

1) Powell: With the second year under Matt Lowe I think Powell is loaded with potential and has the athleticism in the backfield. However, I believe they are going to have the same problem as Knox Central and that is their line. Most all of their big men graduated if I am correct and that was a very strong point for them this past year. Their QB is a very good, talented QB and if they can figure out their offensive line then they will be set. Powell is very up in the air.

2) Knox Central: Just like someone said above, to be the best you have to beat the best. I do think based on them winning the championship that they deserve to be #1. However they lost a lot. They graduated their entire offensive line, dline, starting receiver, and star CB in Xavier Washington. Central has a HUGE target on their back and I am saying that as a South Doyle fan. Central mauled some opponents last year and some are not happy about that. I do not believe that their new offensive line will be able to handle the pressure that they receive this year. Also have a great QB but what will he be able to do with a new, struggling offensive line?

3) South Doyle: Healthy is the key word for this team. If this team can stay healthy I think this would be the year they can win it all. Two star players that tore an ACL last year are finally back and looking very good. They lost no starters on the offensive line but did lose a star LB, Farrell Scott, and WR in Tonquez Ball. However they still have Elijah Young and if he can stay healthy, will have a big year. I believe he is the fastest back in the state. Ran the 100 in 10.79 a couple weeks ago, the fastest in Knoxville. Their QB, Mason Brang, is setup for a great senior year. Also, they have been developing a nasty front seven. They demolished Bearden's offensive line in a scrimmage last week and ended up winning 6 TD's to 0. Elijah Young also rushed for 3 TDs and 200 yards. Again, key word is healthy. They must stay healthy because this team does not have a lot of depth. But I do believe they are the biggest sleeper out of any 5A team.

9 hours ago, knoxfan28 said:

1) Powell: With the second year under Matt Lowe I think Powell is loaded with potential and has the athleticism in the backfield. However, I believe they are going to have the same problem as Knox Central and that is their line. Most all of their big men graduated if I am correct and that was a very strong point for them this past year. Their QB is a very good, talented QB and if they can figure out their offensive line then they will be set. Powell is very up in the air.

2) Knox Central: Just like someone said above, to be the best you have to beat the best. I do think based on them winning the championship that they deserve to be #1. However they lost a lot. They graduated their entire offensive line, dline, starting receiver, and star CB in Xavier Washington. Central has a HUGE target on their back and I am saying that as a South Doyle fan. Central mauled some opponents last year and some are not happy about that. I do not believe that their new offensive line will be able to handle the pressure that they receive this year. Also have a great QB but what will he be able to do with a new, struggling offensive line?

3) South Doyle: Healthy is the key word for this team. If this team can stay healthy I think this would be the year they can win it all. Two star players that tore an ACL last year are finally back and looking very good. They lost no starters on the offensive line but did lose a star LB, Farrell Scott, and WR in Tonquez Ball. However they still have Elijah Young and if he can stay healthy, will have a big year. I believe he is the fastest back in the state. Ran the 100 in 10.79 a couple weeks ago, the fastest in Knoxville. Their QB, Mason Brang, is setup for a great senior year. Also, they have been developing a nasty front seven. They demolished Bearden's offensive line in a scrimmage last week and ended up winning 6 TD's to 0. Elijah Young also rushed for 3 TDs and 200 yards. Again, key word is healthy. They must stay healthy because this team does not have a lot of depth. But I do believe they are the biggest sleeper out of any 5A team.

Agree if SD can stay healthy. Noah Myers will surprise some folks. Will Myers, Young, Etc play in the scrimmage Monday?

10 hours ago, knoxfan28 said:

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Clark Duncan.  My son played his first two years at Powell for Clark before Clark left for the AP job at South Doyle and would run through a brick wall for Clark.  Can't say enough good things about him.  

That said, the one thing I have seen from SD over the past 5-6 years is that they just play too many guys both ways too many plays.  At the 5A level, and running offenses that can run up to 80 plays in a game, you just can't leave guys on the field both ways any longer.  Bodies just wear out.  And it gets even more maginfied late in the season and in the playoffs.  

And it's not just SD.  It's something too many coaches do, IMO.  Teams that can at least give guys rest, if not completely two platoon, in the regular season are teams that have much better opportunities for playoff success.  I've seen it over and over.  

16 minutes ago, HTV said:

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Clark Duncan.  My son played his first two years at Powell for Clark before Clark left for the AP job at South Doyle and would run through a brick wall for Clark.  Can't say enough good things about him.  

That said, the one thing I have seen from SD over the past 5-6 years is that they just play too many guys both ways too many plays.  At the 5A level, and running offenses that can run up to 80 plays in a game, you just can't leave guys on the field both ways any longer.  Bodies just wear out.  And it gets even more maginfied late in the season and in the playoffs.  

And it's not just SD.  It's something too many coaches do, IMO.  Teams that can at least give guys rest, if not completely two platoon, in the regular season are teams that have much better opportunities for playoff success.  I've seen it over and over.  

I agree, especially with these fast offenses.  Developing depth is huge due to fatigue and injury.  

I will keep a watch on South Doyle this year.  Most of my East Tenn incite comes from the posters on here.  Thanks guys.  

5 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I agree, especially with these fast offenses.  Developing depth is huge due to fatigue and injury.  

I will keep a watch on South Doyle this year.  Most of my East Tenn incite comes from the posters on here.  Thanks guys.  

Yep.  And what I think too many coaches miss is that football, just like basketball, baseball, etc., is now a playoff sport.  You don't have to go undefeated to have a legit chance at winning a state championship.  Too many coaches let pride get in the way of developing depth and finding "gamers" IMO.  

10 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep.  And what I think too many coaches miss is that football, just like basketball, baseball, etc., is now a playoff sport.  You don't have to go undefeated to have a legit chance at winning a state championship.  Too many coaches let pride get in the way of developing depth and finding "gamers" IMO.  

We are usually quite lucky here at Gallatin.  There may be a handful of players that play both ways but there are always a lot of subs or should I say players that may not start, that get a lot of playing time.  That is the way it has been for years.  Luckily the last 3 coaching staffs have really worked hard in putting top players on the field and having those next level guys ready to play when needed.  That helps so much with the next year as well.  

I did not know you were the play by play guy for Maryville now.  Congratulations on the gig.  I always enjoyed our talks back when Powell and Gallatin went to the McCallie camp.  

Edited by GWAVE1

10 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

We are usually quite lucky here at Gallatin.  There may be a handful of players that play both ways but there are always a lot of subs or should I say players that may not start, that get a lot of playing time.  That is the way it has been for years.  Luckily the last 3 coaching staffs have really worked hard in putting top players on the field and having those next level guys ready to play when needed.  That helps so much with the next year as well.  

I did not know you were the play by play guy for Maryville now.  Congratulations on the gig.  I always enjoyed our talks back when Powell and Gallatin went to the McCallie camp.  

First year at Maryville was 2016.  Great gig. 

And, yes, I know about Gallatin well.  Scott Holt is one of my very closest friends, and Jeff and Daryl are also good friends.  Been in Gallatin more times than I can even begin to county.