2019 Top Ten in 5A

2 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Agree if SD can stay healthy. Noah Myers will surprise some folks. Will Myers, Young, Etc play in the scrimmage Monday?

All of them played against Bearden last week when they won 40 something to nothing. From what I know Myers is playing tonight against William Blount but I do not think Young is. I believe they have a track competition coming up. Myers does not run track however so he will be playing. I think one thing we saw from Bearden last week is there were some players that stepped up this spring that I for one didn't think would. I believe there will be more depth this year. It is hard getting kids to play football South of the River and it shows by the way we have been making kids play both ways. But this senior class is extremely bought in and I think if they do stay healthy and figure out a couple depth issues, like not having Myers, Young, Wilson always playing both ways, then they will have a huge year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HTV said:

First year at Maryville was 2016.  Great gig. 

And, yes, I know about Gallatin well.  Scott Holt is one of my very closest friends, and Jeff and Daryl are also good friends.  Been in Gallatin more times than I can even begin to county.  

Those are good people.  I do not know Jeff as well as Scott and Daryl.  Scott always makes me laugh and Daryl has great game incite.  I always enjoyed his perspective on the radio.  Daryl has so much first hand knowledge of the game and Vandy insides.  I am just lucky they never injured me when we played backyard football back when haha! 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, HTV said:

First year at Maryville was 2016.  Great gig. 

And, yes, I know about Gallatin well.  Scott Holt is one of my very closest friends, and Jeff and Daryl are also good friends.  Been in Gallatin more times than I can even begin to count.  

14 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Those are good people.  I do not know Jeff as well as Scott and Daryl.  Scott always makes me laugh and Daryl has great game incite.  I always enjoyed his perspective on the radio.  Daryl has so much first hand knowledge of the game and Vandy insides.  I am just lucky they never injured me when we played backyard football back when haha! 

Next time you see Scott ask him about his love/hate relationship with ketchup bottles.  

On 5/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, knoxfan28 said:

Top 3 Knoxville teams in no order.

1) Powell: With the second year under Matt Lowe I think Powell is loaded with potential and has the athleticism in the backfield. However, I believe they are going to have the same problem as Knox Central and that is their line. Most all of their big men graduated if I am correct and that was a very strong point for them this past year. Their QB is a very good, talented QB and if they can figure out their offensive line then they will be set. Powell is very up in the air.

2) Knox Central: Just like someone said above, to be the best you have to beat the best. I do think based on them winning the championship that they deserve to be #1. However they lost a lot. They graduated their entire offensive line, dline, starting receiver, and star CB in Xavier Washington. Central has a HUGE target on their back and I am saying that as a South Doyle fan. Central mauled some opponents last year and some are not happy about that. I do not believe that their new offensive line will be able to handle the pressure that they receive this year. Also have a great QB but what will he be able to do with a new, struggling offensive line?

3) South Doyle: Healthy is the key word for this team. If this team can stay healthy I think this would be the year they can win it all. Two star players that tore an ACL last year are finally back and looking very good. They lost no starters on the offensive line but did lose a star LB, Farrell Scott, and WR in Tonquez Ball. However they still have Elijah Young and if he can stay healthy, will have a big year. I believe he is the fastest back in the state. Ran the 100 in 10.79 a couple weeks ago, the fastest in Knoxville. Their QB, Mason Brang, is setup for a great senior year. Also, they have been developing a nasty front seven. They demolished Bearden's offensive line in a scrimmage last week and ended up winning 6 TD's to 0. Elijah Young also rushed for 3 TDs and 200 yards. Again, key word is healthy. They must stay healthy because this team does not have a lot of depth. But I do believe they are the biggest sleeper out of any 5A team.

What has happened to BHS football. Injuries, lost to much from last year, player pool dried up, or just bad coaching.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:37 AM, knoxfan28 said:

All of them played against Bearden last week when they won 40 something to nothing. From what I know Myers is playing tonight against William Blount but I do not think Young is. I believe they have a track competition coming up. Myers does not run track however so he will be playing. I think one thing we saw from Bearden last week is there were some players that stepped up this spring that I for one didn't think would. I believe there will be more depth this year. It is hard getting kids to play football South of the River and it shows by the way we have been making kids play both ways. But this senior class is extremely bought in and I think if they do stay healthy and figure out a couple depth issues, like not having Myers, Young, Wilson always playing both ways, then they will have a huge year.

40 to 0 vs BHS. Is SD that good or BHS that bad?

On 5/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, knoxfan28 said:

Top 3 Knoxville teams in no order.

1) Powell: With the second year under Matt Lowe I think Powell is loaded with potential and has the athleticism in the backfield. However, I believe they are going to have the same problem as Knox Central and that is their line. Most all of their big men graduated if I am correct and that was a very strong point for them this past year. Their QB is a very good, talented QB and if they can figure out their offensive line then they will be set. Powell is very up in the air.

2) Knox Central: Just like someone said above, to be the best you have to beat the best. I do think based on them winning the championship that they deserve to be #1. However they lost a lot. They graduated their entire offensive line, dline, starting receiver, and star CB in Xavier Washington. Central has a HUGE target on their back and I am saying that as a South Doyle fan. Central mauled some opponents last year and some are not happy about that. I do not believe that their new offensive line will be able to handle the pressure that they receive this year. Also have a great QB but what will he be able to do with a new, struggling offensive line?

3) South Doyle: Healthy is the key word for this team. If this team can stay healthy I think this would be the year they can win it all. Two star players that tore an ACL last year are finally back and looking very good. They lost no starters on the offensive line but did lose a star LB, Farrell Scott, and WR in Tonquez Ball. However they still have Elijah Young and if he can stay healthy, will have a big year. I believe he is the fastest back in the state. Ran the 100 in 10.79 a couple weeks ago, the fastest in Knoxville. Their QB, Mason Brang, is setup for a great senior year. Also, they have been developing a nasty front seven. They demolished Bearden's offensive line in a scrimmage last week and ended up winning 6 TD's to 0. Elijah Young also rushed for 3 TDs and 200 yards. Again, key word is healthy. They must stay healthy because this team does not have a lot of depth. But I do believe they are the biggest sleeper out of any 5A team.

No disrespect but I think you and everyone else will be surprised by that “struggling” offensive line we have. They held up well against Farragut in the scrimmage we had, we have some things to work on no doubt. But I believe 3 months is plenty enough time to fix any problems we have.

3 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

No disrespect but I think you and everyone else will be surprised by that “struggling” offensive line we have. They held up well against Farragut in the scrimmage we had, we have some things to work on no doubt. But I believe 3 months is plenty enough time to fix any problems we have.

Zero disrespect from me.  I know who is coaching your OL. 

6 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

If anyone can figure out that offensive line I do believe it is Central High School. I have seen parts of the Farragut scrimmage. At times your o line looked very good, especially during run game. Seemed to me like Dakota had to scramble a lot as well which he is phenomenal at doing. Your returning center looks great. If your two big kids at offensive tackle learn how to get a little quicker off the ball, will be able to stop a pass rush better. But those guards looked very small to me. Line was HUGE last year and just seems to be small with seniors gone but I do believe they will have things figured out by fall. Farragut's defense also did not look like its normal self. There pass rush seemed non existence by d lineman but linebackers played decent. Those players at Central are completely bought in and will do whatever it takes. Again, all respect from over here south of the river. We were mauled last year so we have to prove ourselves this year. 

16 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

If anyone can figure out that offensive line I do believe it is Central High School. I have seen parts of the Farragut scrimmage. At times your o line looked very good, especially during run game. Seemed to me like Dakota had to scramble a lot as well which he is phenomenal at doing. Your returning center looks great. If your two big kids at offensive tackle learn how to get a little quicker off the ball, will be able to stop a pass rush better. But those guards looked very small to me. Line was HUGE last year and just seems to be small with seniors gone but I do believe they will have things figured out by fall. Farragut's defense also did not look like its normal self. There pass rush seemed non existence by d lineman but linebackers played decent. Those players at Central are completely bought in and will do whatever it takes. Again, all respect from over here south of the river. We were mauled last year so we have to prove ourselves this year. 

HTV I know you didn’t mean anything, although my stance on Powell still stands. Not that others aren’t doing what they are, but they need learn how to keep quiet. Knoxfan, SD will be a force to be reckoned with IF they fix some problems on their Oline which I believe they will. We didn’t have about 5-6 normal starters in that scrimmage the other day either so that played a factor. 

3 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

HTV I know you didn’t mean anything, although my stance on Powell still stands. Not that others aren’t doing what they are, but they need learn how to keep quiet. Knoxfan, SD will be a force to be reckoned with IF they fix some problems on their Oline which I believe they will. We didn’t have about 5-6 normal starters in that scrimmage the other day either so that played a factor. 

Totally agreed. Two o line starters were out for us this spring plus our track guys. I am looking forward to our matchup again this year, hopefully it'll be better than the blowout last year. Should be for 1 and 2 in the region. Especially with you all getting Gaston back and that transfer from Carter.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:37 AM, knoxfan28 said:

KF28 you sound like you were at the BHS vs SD scrimmage. I know SD is loaded, but is BHS football gone down that much. Did not BHS beat SD regular season last year?