West TN Coaching jobs

WestTNHoopsFan

14 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Who is going to be her assistant? Also, did the boys every hire anybody as an assistant?

The administration usually tries to allow the HC to hire their own assistants, unless there's just not room to accommodate for it... probably be a few days before they can assess fitment, unless that was a negotiating point during the interview process.

Haven't heard anything on the boys side, there may be the same circumstances there.

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The administration usually tries to allow the HC to hire their own assistants, unless there's just not room to accommodate for it... probably be a few days before they can assess fitment, unless that was a negotiating point during the interview process.

Haven't heard anything on the boys side, there may be the same circumstances there.

That makes sense for sure.

Just heard that one of the "locals" who's name was cast about for the head girls job, has been granted an assistant position with the boys... been at several schools in the area over the last couple of decades, and should be made public soon. Also talks of hiring another assistant, but not confirmed.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, tradertwo said:

Just heard that one of the "locals" who's name was cast about for the head girls job, has been granted an assistant position with the boys... been at several schools in the area over the last couple of decades, and should be made public soon. Also talks of hiring another assistant, but not confirmed.

Who is the "Local"? Is it Terry Clement?

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Close, but no cigar! If you're as familiar as I think you are with hoops around here, your next guess will nail it. One clue should seal it... Duke.

Not sure... Just knew Terry Clement use to coach there a while back and he is the only name I know from Lexington that would fit that description.

Lexington hired a great coach for the girls. coach Bowman is a winner. She will do fine. She just won't have much to work with after Taylor leaves.

7 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Not sure... Just knew Terry Clement use to coach there a while back and he is the only name I know from Lexington that would fit that description.

Lexington hired a great coach for the girls. coach Bowman is a winner. She will do fine. She just won't have much to work with after Taylor leaves.

They're never going to have the pure athletes that South Side has, but with development and discipline they will be consistently toward the top of district, provided she's as good as advertised. Clement's name was mentioned around town for the girls job, but the hire for boys assistant (also mentioned for girls) is Rick Johnson...he's had stints at Riverside, Scotts Hill, Lexington, and Jackson Christian that I know of, and maybe others. The Duke clue was that he was a graduate assistant (or something of that sort) in Coach K's early years there.

15 hours ago, tradertwo said:

They're never going to have the pure athletes that South Side has, but with development and discipline they will be consistently toward the top of district, provided she's as good as advertised. Clement's name was mentioned around town for the girls job, but the hire for boys assistant (also mentioned for girls) is Rick Johnson...he's had stints at Riverside, Scotts Hill, Lexington, and Jackson Christian that I know of, and maybe others. The Duke clue was that he was a graduate assistant (or something of that sort) in Coach K's early years there.

I gotcha. I know that name. He has been around for a while! Will that work?

11 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I gotcha. I know that name. He has been around for a while! Will that work?

It should work...the added pressures of being the "front man", along with managing accounts, accounting for ref's, scorekeepers, concession workers, ect… (all the insignificant duties that a head coach does besides coaching kids) are old hat for Rick, so that should ease that part of the burden. The addition of another assistant is almost a lock now too, and the frontrunner for that position is a solid young guy who is already proven at the local level that will help coach relate to the kids. I'm glad to see that things are being addressed to pave the way for a first time head coach, rather than just write him off because of parents complaints, it could make all the difference between a long term success, or a flame out.