Best / Worst Facilities

Raiderforlife

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

I think the grass team has beaten them on the plastic stuff in the fourth round.Running on the pasture field must make them faster and tougher.:roflolk:

Lol. We do have grass and it holds up well. Our field plays well but we do not have seating capacity like many schools. I like ours due to fact that you are close to the action unlike those with running tracks around them. I’ve been to many places and will agree Huntingdon and SP both have very nice facilities. CA has a very nice place also. I’m not gonna call out any of the not so good places as many schools don’t have funding or support needed. I do respect all that play the game so I can enjoy watching......whether it’s a million dollar stadium or a cow pasture with a cable strung around it. I always carry my muck boots in case I need them. Never cared about wearing penny loafers to a football game anyway. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sum1uno said:

Lol. We do have grass and it holds up well. Our field plays well but we do not have seating capacity like many schools. I like ours due to fact that you are close to the action unlike those with running tracks around them. I’ve been to many places and will agree Huntingdon and SP both have very nice facilities. CA has a very nice place also. I’m not gonna call out any of the not so good places as many schools don’t have funding or support needed. I do respect all that play the game so I can enjoy watching......whether it’s a million dollar stadium or a cow pasture with a cable strung around it. I always carry my muck boots in case I need them. Never cared about wearing penny loafers to a football game anyway. 

You remind me of "someone I know"....:-D

On 4/13/2019 at 10:11 AM, GHSblackhelmet said:

I would be willing to say South Pitt has them beat. 

It has been a couple of years since we saw South Pitt, but saw Huntingdon last season and I would have to agree, after seeing it in person, one of the best football facilities I have ever seen, especially for 1A football. Top notch all the way around, and that is from a Cornersville fan. South Pitt is nice for sure, but seeing both in person I would begrudgingly give the edge to Huntingdon.

9 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Nicest and best are two different things... all around, Lewis County is tough to beat. When you walk through the "tunnel" into the stadium (looking at all their history on display), you go into an environment all LC's own... just feels like HS football.

True. Traditionally rich programs are great places to watch a game. 

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Nicest and best are two different things... all around, Lewis County is tough to beat. When you walk through the "tunnel" into the stadium (looking at all their history on display), you go into an environment all LC's own... just feels like HS football.

Thats the key for me,does it make you feel like your at a high school game!

On 4/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

No place like the Creekbank in Trousdale except when it floods!

Worst field is Pickett County. Poor guys have to play on a baseball field. There are no real bleachers on the visitors side.  There are no lights at one end of the field. Fans from there sit up on the hill at the school and watch instead of paying to come in! I admire the players who stick it out all season. 

I was just about to say Pickett County.  Their locker room and "weight room" situation is bad enough, but that field is a nightmare.

The worst part is that the "utility field" they play on is all hard dirt with rocks and thistles sticking out of it.  It's a terrible surface for the players.

Then there are no bleachers and the cheapskate "fans" who can't be bothered to pay the $5 to support the team so they sit on the side of the road.  It's shameful and hands-down the worst I've ever seen in HS football.

As far as nicer ones, both Greenback and Oneida have really nice facilities for small schools.  I'm not sure why there was so much ragging on Sunbright earlier in this thread.  Their place has a certain "quaint charm" to it.  Same goes for Oakdale and a lot of the District 2-A schools.

Unaka, though their team's struggled, has a cool atmosphere on game nights with the bleachers built into the hillside.  It's a shame the football can't be better over there.  I also like Hampton and Happy Valley's stadiums, too.

In terms of newness & convenience, Peabody takes the cake imo. The place is easy to get in & out of, its huge & very accessible. All Peabody lacks is a well maintained playing surface. It usually looks good but it’s not Union City grass by any means. I love & think Huntington’s stadium & facilities are top notch but not as accessible as Peabody’s. That turf field sure is sharp but I’m a sucker for some Bermuda grass. If you never had the chance to catch a game at Peabody, you ought to, it’s a cool place. The season opener on Thursday night against 3A power Milan ought to pack the place out. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, BlueDevil58 said:

I was just about to say Pickett County.  Their locker room and "weight room" situation is bad enough, but that field is a nightmare.

The worst part is that the "utility field" they play on is all hard dirt with rocks and thistles sticking out of it.  It's a terrible surface for the players.

Then there are no bleachers and the cheapskate "fans" who can't be bothered to pay the $5 to support the team so they sit on the side of the road.  It's shameful and hands-down the worst I've ever seen in HS football.

As far as nicer ones, both Greenback and Oneida have really nice facilities for small schools.  I'm not sure why there was so much ragging on Sunbright earlier in this thread.  Their place has a certain "quaint charm" to it.  Same goes for Oakdale and a lot of the District 2-A schools.

Unaka, though their team's struggled, has a cool atmosphere on game nights with the bleachers built into the hillside.  It's a shame the football can't be better over there.  I also like Hampton and Happy Valley's stadiums, too.

Sunbright is ok now I was referring to the early 90's. One corner of the end zone was 5 feet higher than the rest of the field. 

The main drawback at Greenback is the lack of visitor seating I wish they would rebuild a larger seating area for the guests.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, powerp said:

As far as facility, pregame, and history...SP is tough to beat I must say. Our practice field gets more maintenance than some teams game fields.

That practice field looks a lot better now that the lights are up! 

I’m biased so of course SP has one of the best facilities and pregame in 1A. I’d give GB a nod for second but a man with a badge rubbed me the wrong way! No offense to GB or their fans, just one officer needed a lesson in hospitality! GB fans where great, even sit by a few in the back of a truck!

On 4/15/2019 at 10:44 AM, tradertwo said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but you have to agree with his position. If you're going to use a comparison with another school,  Scotts Hill is 2AA football, and there's practically no "town" there around it, just as West Carroll and most 1A programs. Not accusing or speculating anything, but I do find it odd the disparity of size of some communities and their school enrollment.

That's the reason why I believe that it's odd for Huntingdon (a town that has a Walmart, right?) to be considered 1A but Scotts Hill (a town that has nothing other than a BBQ joint and a Mom-and-Pop's pizza place) to be 2A. I know Henderson County is open enrollment I believe, but still.