2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

3 hours ago, gcapride said:

What’s the rule and is there not a warning given with the opportunity to switch gear?

It is a NFHS rule and to my knowledge it is considered illegal equipment and no warning shall be issued.  Much like throwing a pitcher too many innings:  if the pitcher goes out to throw and if he throws one pitch it will be illegal it is not the umpires responsibility to warn the coach and pitcher.  The one that is responsible for the illegal catchers equipment is the player and more importantly the players coach.

59 minutes ago, cbg said:

It is a NFHS rule and to my knowledge it is considered illegal equipment and no warning shall be issued.  Much like throwing a pitcher too many innings:  if the pitcher goes out to throw and if he throws one pitch it will be illegal it is not the umpires responsibility to warn the coach and pitcher.  The one that is responsible for the illegal catchers equipment is the player and more importantly the players coach.

Thank you for the explanation. 

Now, if that’s the case, did GB really get “the pipe”? Should we only play by the rules when the rules benefit our own team? If the roles were reversed and a strapping young RAM was using illegal equipment, should he have been ejected or allowed to continue? As I thought from the beginning of this stuff, you’re all homers that can’t stand GCA and all the beatings you’ve taken over the years. I’ve got a suggestion for you: don’t play us. Your blood pressure and records will be much better. And blackhelmet, thanks for admitting in your post that GCA is in fact above lowly Greenback, lol. I’ve known that for YEARS! 

2 minutes ago, gcapride said:

Now, if that’s the case, did GB really get “the pipe”? Should we only play by the rules when the rules benefit our own team? If the roles were reversed and a strapping young RAM was using illegal equipment, should he have been ejected or allowed to continue? As I thought from the beginning of this stuff, you’re all homers that can’t stand GCA and all the beatings you’ve taken over the years. I’ve got a suggestion for you: don’t play us. Your blood pressure and records will be much better. And blackhelmet, thanks for admitting in your post that GCA is in fact above lowly Greenback, lol. I’ve known that for YEARS! 

:popcorneater:

3 hours ago, gcapride said:

Makes no sense to me. I’d like to know if the rule states the ump has to give the player an opportunity to change gear or if it’s an automatic ejection. Automatic ejection over a helmet doesn’t sound right to me, but I admittedly don’t know the rules. Thanks for letting us know how it went down. Doesn’t seem right unless it’s in black and white in the rule book. 

Let me jump in here as a former assistant high school baseball coach. It's been 6 years since I stopped coaching due to some health reasons but back when I coached the umpires were required to give a warning first before an automatic ejection. Now, I wouldn't think that rule has changed in 6 years. It's a rule that's been around for a long time. Automatic ejections are usually reserved for stuff pitchers might do like sandpaper or spitting on the ball or using any illegal substance.

I've never experienced an incident like this however while coaching. I've had an umpire back in like 2004 or 2005 that warned our team for an improper glove usage by our starting catcher. It was a warning & that's all. The glove was changed & that was it. Nothing further was done by the umps. This seems like a wrongdoing by the umps to Greenback. I would bet the TSSAA will look into this especially if the Greenback coach pushes it. I know as a coach I wouldn't allow this to go without putting up a fuss about it. I don't care if it's a scrimmage, regular season game, or postseason game. 

1 hour ago, cbg said:

That's not true in bold above unless the rule for improper/illegal equipment usage has changed since 2013.

Edited by tonybologna

1 hour ago, gcapride said:

About time you responded to my magnificent trolling. I was about to think I was losing my touch. LOL 

I thought for a couple of hours that we might have found the 1 Ram above reproach, and yet you stoop down to the level us heathens once again!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

About time you responded to my magnificent trolling. I was about to think I was losing my touch. LOL 

I thought for a couple of hours that we might have found the 1 Ram above reproach, and yet you stoop down to the level us heathens once again!

I laughed when I read it. I was waiting for the right time to tag you in a response.  Very well thought out and funny. Idiotic, but funny! :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonybologna said:

That's not true in bold above unless the rule for improper/illegal equipment usage has changed since 2013.

From what I’ve read on the NFHS site, this is a recent rule change in the past couple of years. Wouldn’t have been around during your coaching days. Thanks for the insight, though. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

And 1 more thing. We’ve got to be above those Berean, Concord, Freedom and Blah Blah Blah Christian Schools, we’ve got ALL the sports! Can’t rank us below a school that only has girls volleyball....IN MY MOST HUMBLE OPINION :roflol:

The facts are that the catcher came out with a 2 piece catcher’s helmet and was warned at some point in the game. The next couple of innings he wore the correct and legal catcher’s helmet. But then, out of habit, he grabbed the 2 piece again during the last inning and then was ejected. The coach argued the call and was then ejected as well. But I will go as far to say this... in the game of sports, there will be competitive situations where emotions can get the best of you. I’m not sure if our coach knew whether or not our catcher was warned earlier in the game (I would’ve thought so). But he and every other coach has the right to question as many times as he wants and whenever he wants and however he would like to do it. It’s for none of us to critique and judge whether a coach should’ve yelled at the ump, or little Johnny, or mommy and daddy. It’s his team that he spends his time on more than most people can even imagine. So if he feels like he needs to get in someone’s crawl, then that’s his choice. Plus, if this happens against another team at a different facility, I doubt it would’ve been the same outcome. It just so happens that the reputation of GCA isn’t a great one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cherokee23 said:

The facts are that the catcher came out with a 2 piece catcher’s helmet and was warned at some point in the game. The next couple of innings he wore the correct and legal catcher’s helmet. But then, out of habit, he grabbed the 2 piece again during the last inning and then was ejected. The coach argued the call and was then ejected as well. But I will go as far to say this... in the game of sports, there will be competitive situations where emotions can get the best of you. I’m not sure if our coach knew whether or not our catcher was warned earlier in the game (I would’ve thought so). But he and every other coach has the right to question as many times as he wants and whenever he wants and however he would like to do it. It’s for none of us to critique and judge whether a coach should’ve yelled at the ump, or little Johnny, or mommy and daddy. It’s his team that he spends his time on more than most people can even imagine. So if he feels like he needs to get in someone’s crawl, then that’s his choice. Plus, if this happens against another team at a different facility, I doubt it would’ve been the same outcome. It just so happens that the reputation of GCA isn’t a great one. 

Junior, Here’s what Greenback Coaches have a reputation for at GCA,: Getting ejected from games and showing their butts like little children. If you condone that behavior, you’re part of the problem in sports today.