2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

5 minutes ago, gcapride said:

Junior, Here’s what Greenback Coaches have a reputation for at GCA,: Getting ejected from games and showing their butts like little children. If you condone that behavior, you’re part of the problem in sports today. 

I’m not condoning the reaction by the baseball coach specifically but the football one, most definitely. The referee deserved it and it was needed. If you can condone a player ripping a helmet off and saying his hand got stuck then that’s kind of the pot calling the kettle black. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, gcapride said:

Junior, Here’s what Greenback Coaches have a reputation for at GCA,: Getting ejected from games and showing their butts like little children. If you condone that behavior, you’re part of the problem in sports today. 

Ok Lady Kee here otherwise known to you as Crazy Lady lol (trust me I took that as a joke and not a stab). Just to clarify your statement regarding Greenback coaches....I disagree with your statement that they have a reputation for getting ejected during games and here is why. To my knowledge since head coach Caldwell has been at Greenback he has only been ejected from the game one time and that was last night vs GCA. Coach Ryan has been ejected once vs GCA in baseball and may have been confined to dugout vs GCA in a previous season vs GCA in baseball but someone else will need to confirm if that is indeed the outcome that I recall from a previous game. He was also ejected once vs GCA in football and that was due to “Helmetgate” lol. In all the years he has coached both sports he has never been ejected playing vs anyone else and trust me he has had issues with officiating from time to time as does most coaches AND it never mattered if we were winning or losing at the time it was about principle. So if you want to say we occasionally or more truthfully often have issues with officiating vs GCA at GCA to the point that GB coaches get reprimanded and/or ejected then hey I agree with that but a reputation in general WILL NOT FLY! It’s only happened on GCA fields! Now I will say there is a lot of mutual respect between the players over recent years and all the kids involved just play the game. This is all at the hands of officiating and coaches. I sure bet the GCA players would much rather win straight out without all the **astericks as well as GB players. In this rivalry the winner should be able to win outright and the loser should not feel robbed. It was a 2-2 ballgame going into the 7th that ended in controversy robbing either team of a glorified win. So not only did GB kids get robbed but in my book so did the GCA kids. The adults need to get over themselves and let these kids duke it out fair and square on the field for these are some of the best years of their lives and both squads have perfected their craft for many years. And might I add it didn’t help any wondering the intentions of the field judge that ejected the GB catcher for he was the same guy who 2 years ago in the postseason called the GB player out for missing 2nd base when the batter behind him hit a HR and they were both just jogging thru to home plate. #23 wears a size 14 cleat so that’s a lot of foot to make contact with a bag plus when he says he touched it I know he touched it. That’s just the kind of person he is. If he missed it or even thought he might have he would have admitted it. So to say we are a little jaded is an understatement for it seems the craziest stuff always happens on the field next to the church.

I know in life we are supposed to turn the other cheek but just how many cheeks are GB kids expected to have!

Edited by ladykee
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, cherokee23 said:

I’m not condoning the reaction by the baseball coach specifically but the football one, most definitely. The referee deserved it and it was needed. If you can condone a player ripping a helmet off and saying his hand got stuck then that’s kind of the pot calling the kettle black. 

The kid had fat fingers and Breeden shouldn’t have jammed his face mask right into the kids fat fingers....I’m more of a gray kettle guy.

Well, CAK beat GCA 2-0 @ GCA today so no excuses from you guys about the umps in this one for GCA. LOL! :wink:

Also, Farragut in Class AAA won again this afternoon against Bearden. I think that's 5 of their last 6 games now for Farragut in which they have won by only 1 run. It's something close to that anyhow. I said a couple weeks back that Collierville & Farragut were the 2 best teams in AAA but I give the slight advantage to Collierville.

Now, Farragut did defeat Collierville in a tournament game last weekend by a score of 3-2 but that was just one game. I still think Collierville has a slightly better team. I give them the advantage in pitching just a little even though Farragut has the better team ERA. Going to be interesting to see these 2 teams in the postseason & which one advances the farthest. I think both of them will probably make the state tourney though. 

TCA (Trinity Christian Academy) got upset tonight by Halls (West, TN) by a score of 5-3. That was only their 2nd loss on the season (23-2). Halls (West, TN) isn't a bad team coming into the game @ 12-9 but I did not expect this especially with one of TCA's best pitchers on the mound. This loss just might drop TCA from that #1 state ranking they've had for so long this season in Class A. Their only other loss was a District game to a very good Gibson County team (24-3).

Gibson County will more than likely be the only team that gets in the way of TCA making the state tourney. They both are such really good teams. Either team can beat the other on a given day so if they meet in the Regionals let's hope it's not before the Regional Championship Game because both teams deserve to be in the Sectionals & a chance to make the state tourney. Right now, I think Gibson County is the better team or should I say playing the best but that doesn't mean TCA can't beat them or can't make the state tourney. 

On 4/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, gcapride said:

And 1 more thing. We’ve got to be above those Berean, Concord, Freedom and Blah Blah Blah Christian Schools, we’ve got ALL the sports! Can’t rank us below a school that only has girls volleyball....IN MY MOST HUMBLE OPINION :roflol:

Blah Blah Blah might be Maryville Christian or Knoxville Christian School since they are not in the TSSAA.

:popcorneater:

On 4/23/2019 at 10:54 PM, Catchersdad44 said:

A 2 piece helmet is illegal per the NFHS rules and illegal gear is a disqualification what I don't like is it cost a kid 2 more games for a ejection in baseball! Football it's a penalty, Basketball it a tech foul only baseball has this stupid rule

What seems a little over the top for me with the ejection rule for a two piece helmet in general is that the rule is a safety issue with the full piece being the better option thus the rule change. Correct me if I’m wrong but there’s no unfair advantage to the other team. Apparently a lot of umpires either don’t know there has been a rule change or just do not enforce it if it is even noticed. Why eject players over a safety issue when an umpire can very easily stop the game once they realize it, address the issue with the head coach and demand the equipment be replaced with appropriate equipment then resume game. I mean if it is for safety wouldnt you handle the issue immediately and not allow play to continue until it is corrected? What coach or player is going to refuse to comply? You can’t play without a catcher. Coach could try to argue but what would be the point? Just switch gear and move on. Why umpire continued to let GB catcher play and then after bottom of 6th between innings approached dugout to issue ejection was a headscratcher. If it was incorrect equipment it should have been nipped in the bud and everyone just move on with the game. There is no reason this type thing should lead to an ejection of a player and a 2 game suspension. Now cheating, loaded bats, gross unsportsmanlike behavior etc., those warrant ejections not safety equipment.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:10 AM, tonybologna said:

TCA (Trinity Christian Academy) got upset tonight by Halls (West, TN) by a score of 5-3. That was only their 2nd loss on the season (23-2). Halls (West, TN) isn't a bad team coming into the game @ 12-9 but I did not expect this especially with one of TCA's best pitchers on the mound. This loss just might drop TCA from that #1 state ranking they've had for so long this season in Class A. Their only other loss was a District game to a very good Gibson County team (24-3).

Gibson County will more than likely be the only team that gets in the way of TCA making the state tourney. They both are such really good teams. Either team can beat the other on a given day so if they meet in the Regionals let's hope it's not before the Regional Championship Game because both teams deserve to be in the Sectionals & a chance to make the state tourney. Right now, I think Gibson County is the better team or should I say playing the best but that doesn't mean TCA can't beat them or can't make the state tourney. 

Going to be interesting to see what happens with TCA and GC both good teams trying to get to the state. Peabody and Halls are scrappy as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Hey balogna we need an update and prediction of your picks for the Single A state tournament :thumb:. Media don’t cover baseball like they do football.

I will get my predictions for Class A baseball posted up either later today (Friday) or Saturday. Right off the top of my head without putting much thought into it & checking all the Districts/Regions I would have to say TCA (Trinity Christian Academy) is the favorite to take the title. And, I believe Gibson County might be their best competition or the team that could get in their way. I will post more on this in a day or 2. Thanks.

Edited by tonybologna
  • Thanks 1