2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

I guess that I should add my Regional Final predictions as well. Forgot to do that in my previous post. Here they are:

Region 1-A Final: Greenback over University High
Region 2-A Final: Lookout Valley over Wartburg
Region 3-A Final: Gordonsville over South Pittsburg
Region 4-A Final: Eagleville over Cornersville (tough one, could go either way)
Region 5-A Final: Columbia Academy over Richland
Region 6-A Final: Loretto over Huntingdon
Region 7-A Final: Gibson County over TCA (toss-up)(another rematch)
Region 8-A Final: Middle College over Oakhaven

Region 1-AA Final: Greeneville over Elizabethton (close one)
Region 2-AA Final: Alcoa over Pigeon Forge
Region 3-AA Final: Signal Mountain over Loudon
Region 4-AA Final: Sequathchie County over Smith County
Region 5-AA Final: Greenbrier over Sycamore (another rematch)
Region 6-AA Final: Nolensville over Creek Wood (mild upset)
Region 7-AA Final: South Gibson over Dyersburg
Region 8-AA Final: Covington over Haywood

Region 1-AAA Final: Science Hill over Sevier County (upset)
Region 2-AAA Final: Farragut over Powell (could Powell pull off the major upset vs the state's #1 ranked AAA team?)
Region 3-AAA Final: Soddy-Daisy over Cookeville (tough one to call)
Region 4-AAA Final: Blackman over Riverdale
Region 5-AAA Final: Rossview over Clarksville (Rossview's bats are on fire!)
Region 6-AAA Final: Overton over Independence
Region 7-AAA Final: Brighton over Bartlett
Region 8-AAA Final: Collierville over Houston (good matchup)

Edited by tonybologna
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, tonybologna said:

Class A Favorites:

Region 1: Greenback or University High (sleeper Sullivan North)

Region 2: Rockwood or Lookout Valley (sleeper Midway)

Region 3: Gordonsville or Monterey (sleeper Whitwell)

Region 4: Cornersville or Eagleville (sleeper none)

Region 5: Columbia Academy or East Robertson (sleeper none)

Region 6: Loretto or Summertown (sleeper Huntingdon)

Region 7: Trinity Christian or Gibson County (sleeper Union City & Halls)

Region 8: Middle College or KIPP-Memphis (sleeper Oakhaven)

My actual picks for the state tourney from each Region:

Region 1: Greenback
Region 2: Rockwood
Region 3: Gordonsville
Region 4: Cornersville
Region 5: Columbia Academy
Region 6: Summertown
Region 7: Trinity Christian
Region 8: Middle College

My pick for the state champs: Trinity Christian (sleeper Gordonsville & Cornersville)

What's so interesting about my state title pick is that Gibson County could actually play spoiler on me & knock out Trinity Christian. They are certainty capable of doing it. If that was to happen then I just might have to say Gibson County would eventually be state champs. LOL!

Union City & Halls from that same Region are definitely sleepers in my mind. Halls has played a really tough schedule. Union City was in the state tourney last season. Those 4 teams are ALL from Region 7 & might be 4 of the best 8 teams in Class A but only 1 can advance to the state. Rockwood is another team that is playing really well. They too have a solid team that could make some noise.    

I thought Lake Co were the district champs and Union City was runnerup

On 5/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, tonybologna said:

Class A Favorites:

Region 1: Greenback or University High (sleeper Sullivan North)

Region 2: Rockwood or Lookout Valley (sleeper Midway)

Region 3: Gordonsville or Monterey (sleeper Whitwell)

Region 4: Cornersville or Eagleville (sleeper none)

Region 5: Columbia Academy or East Robertson (sleeper none)

Region 6: Loretto or Summertown (sleeper Huntingdon)

Region 7: Trinity Christian or Gibson County (sleeper Union City & Halls)

Region 8: Middle College or KIPP-Memphis (sleeper Oakhaven)

My actual picks for the state tourney from each Region:

Region 1: Greenback
Region 2: Rockwood
Region 3: Gordonsville
Region 4: Cornersville
Region 5: Columbia Academy
Region 6: Summertown
Region 7: Trinity Christian
Region 8: Middle College

My pick for the state champs: Trinity Christian (sleeper Gordonsville & Cornersville)

What's so interesting about my state title pick is that Gibson County could actually play spoiler on me & knock out Trinity Christian. They are certainty capable of doing it. If that was to happen then I just might have to say Gibson County would eventually be state champs. LOL!

Union City & Halls from that same Region are definitely sleepers in my mind. Halls has played a really tough schedule. Union City was in the state tourney last season. Those 4 teams are ALL from Region 7 & might be 4 of the best 8 teams in Class A but only 1 can advance to the state. Rockwood is another team that is playing really well. They too have a solid team that could make some noise.    

I saw that Lake Co was beaten by Union City twice in regular season but Beat Union City both times in district tournament.Lost to Trenton 5-4 and Halls 10-8 during season so who knows.Beat Middle College 15-1

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mrbigster said:

I thought Lake Co were the district champs and Union City was runnerup

Keep in mind these were my Semifinal picks to win & not all the District winners/runner ups listed. I have both Gibson County & TCA beating Lake County & Union City so that's why they're not listed in my semifinals post. These were just my semifinal picks & not all teams competing. The post you quoted of mine was my state tourney picks anyhow. Thanks.

Edited by tonybologna

By the way guys. I wish the TSSAA would change the format for the Regional Semifinals. It's just one game between opponents. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day. That's just baseball. I wish they would do like some of the Div. II-A & Div. II-AA tourney matchups & make these semifinals or sectionals best of 3. I mean this format would show who deserves to move on & advance in the postseason. If this isn't done for the semifinals then definitely for the Sectionals. One or the other.

Not both necessarily because that would be difficult to pull off because of time limits to get the games in by a certain date. They (TSSAA) could make one of these changes though with enough time to get it done.  I just don't know whether it would be better doing this for the Semis or the Sectionals but either one would be fine with me. 

4 hours ago, tonybologna said:

By the way guys. I wish the TSSAA would change the format for the Regional Semifinals. It's just one game between opponents. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day. That's just baseball. I wish they would do like some of the Div. II-A & Div. II-AA tourney matchups & make these semifinals or sectionals best of 3. I mean this format would show who deserves to move on & advance in the postseason. If this isn't done for the semifinals then definitely for the Sectionals. One or the other.

Not both necessarily because that would be difficult to pull off because of time limits to get the games in by a certain date. They (TSSAA) could make one of these changes though with enough time to get it done.  I just don't know whether it would be better doing this for the Semis or the Sectionals but either one would be fine with me. 

Or take it back a level and resemble basketball... top four district to region, with a double elimination format to go to sectionals. I'd rather see the regionals be double elimination than sectionals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Or take it back a level and resemble basketball... top four district to region, with a double elimination format to go to sectionals. I'd rather see the regionals be double elimination than sectionals. 

The basketball format would be fine too with 4 teams from each District going to the Regionals. I'm more like you in that the Regionals be double elimination rather than the Sectionals. I just wished they would consider doing it for one or the other though. Or, the basketball option of 4 teams advancing to the Regionals.

I just know this 2 team thing with one & done needs to be changed in the Regionals. A bad game by a good team & they could be gone just like that. People could say at this time of the season a good/great time shouldn't have a bad game but it happens.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, tonybologna said:

Keep in mind these were my Semifinal picks to win & not all the District winners/runner ups listed. I have both Gibson County & TCA beating Lake County & Union City so that's why they're not listed in my semifinals post. These were just my semifinal picks & not all teams competing. The post you quoted of mine was my state tourney picks anyhow. Thanks.

ok Thanks