2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

30 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Here are my picks for the Regional Finals since they're all set now:

Region 1-A: Greenback over University High (UH could pull off mild upset)
Region 1-AA: Greeneville over Elizabethton (close game)
Region 1-AAA: Science Hill over Tenn. High (Toppers are HOT!)

Region 2-A: Harriman over Wartburg (Harriman playing better)
Region 2-AA: Alcoa over Pigeon Forge (close one)
Region 2-AAA: Farragut over Hardin Valley (could be run rule game)

Region 3-A: Gordonsville over Monterey (3-5 run win)
Region 3-AA: Signal Mountain over Loudon
Region 3-AAA: Bradley Central over Soddy-Daisy (mild upset)

Region 4-A: Eagleville over Grace Christian (5-10 run win)
Region 4-AA: Sequatchie County over Grundy County
Region 4-AAA: Riverdale won

Region 5-A: Columbia Academy over East Robertson (close one)
Region 5-AA: Hendersonville over Station Camp (upset)
Region 5-AAA: Greenbrier over Sycamore

Region 6-A: Loretto won
Region 6-AA: Nolensville over Forrest
Region 6-AAA: Summit over Independence (mild upset)

Region 7-A: Trinity Christian over Lake County (5+ runs)
Region 7-AA: McNairy Central over Chester County
Region 7-AAA: Bartlett over Arlington (Arlington very well could take this game)

Region 8-A: Middle College over MAHS (5-8 run win)
Region 8-AA: Covington over Haywood (another possible run rule game or at least 5-10 run win)
Region 8-AAA: Collierville over Houston (Collierville & Farragut are probably the 2 best teams in Class AAA)

When Greenback’s ace is on the mound, it will be very hard for anyone to beat them. But the way baseball works, he can’t pitch every game. The pitching staff is good enough to win the whole thing but only if the bats don’t fall off like they have occasionally during past state tournament appearances. If the offense can click, then GB easily makes the state tournament for the 3rd straight year. But as of right now, I believe the favorites for the title are TCA and Loretto.

45 minutes ago, harrisj2238 said:

Wartburg won that district and was the 5 seed. The district those guys play in is a mini region with 9 teams and the top 5-6 seeds are tough in district play just about every year. Both Harriman and Wartburg are loaded with juniors so it should be a good one tomorrow and both will have a shot at being in this game again next year.

I mis-quoted what I wanted to say. I said their District title instead of saying a District title. It was some team winning the District title from being the #7 seed & not necessarily the Conference with Harriman in it. I'm beginning to think now it was the Harriman softball team but I'm still not 100% sure yet.

22 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

When Greenback’s ace is on the mound, it will be very hard for anyone to beat them. But the way baseball works, he can’t pitch every game. The pitching staff is good enough to win the whole thing but only if the bats don’t fall off like they have occasionally during past state tournament appearances. If the offense can click, then GB easily makes the state tournament for the 3rd straight year. But as of right now, I believe the favorites for the title are TCA and Loretto.

I'm from the area where University High plays. Please don't count them out or short. They have 2 ace type pitchers in Degennaro & Meredith. They aren't as strong hitting the ball but they've been in double digits quite a few games this season. They lost a lot of games in tournaments as well against much bigger schools.

They didn't lose a single conference game including their District tourney. They blew everybody in their conference away just about every game. Degennaro can also swing the bat really well. He's UH's leading hitter & not just their pitching ace. I think Greenback has the advantage for sure but if Degennargo is on pitching it will be hard for the Cherokees to score more than 2-3 runs against him.

They also have Meredith available as well. He's not far behind Degennargo in just about every pitching stat. This will probably be a low scoring game. I would be shocked if either team scores more than 3-4 runs. UH can pull off the upset here against Greenback even with Greenback having more past postseason experience. It will just be a matter if Degennaro is fully on with his stuff. If he is Greenback can't hit him & to be honest not many Class A teams can except for maybe TCA & Gordonsville.

11 hours ago, shockernation said:

Don’t worry we used our 1&2...10 innings was a back breaker! Trust me we know who the favorite is but this is far from the team y’all saw earlier in the year! We truly value the underdog role...thinking of changing my user name to underdog?

What time is this game?. May try to come watch it today? Going to be a tough opponent.So will Snyder or Wilson not be able to pitch today?

7 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

What time is this game?. May try to come watch it today? Going to be a tough opponent.So will Snyder or Wilson not be able to pitch today?

Game is at 6...today’s pitching is comparable to who can whisper the loudest or walk the fastest.  With Friday being elimination look for both teams to save their best arms.  

Bad news for Elizabethton in Class AA. Evan Perkins (their starting Catcher) & leading hitter & RBI guy fractured his foot in the Semifinal game vs Grainger. That's a MAJOR blow to the Cyclones. Their backup Catcher is a freshman. They do have a 1B that has played some Catcher when he was much younger but he's not practiced any there since the 6th grade.

Betsy has strong pitching but to throw a freshman receiver in there at this time of the season with very little playing time is going to be tough for Elizabethton. I thought they had a chance of beating Greeneville before this happened but I give them a much smaller chance in doing that now.

It's going to effect them more though in the Sectionals because they don't have to win this game to keep their season going. Giving him 1 game that's not a lose & go home situation will provide the freshman some experience & help Betsy maybe in their Sectional matchup.  

9 hours ago, tonybologna said:

I mis-quoted what I wanted to say. I said their District title instead of saying a District title. It was some team winning the District title from being the #7 seed & not necessarily the Conference with Harriman in it. I'm beginning to think now it was the Harriman softball team but I'm still not 100% sure yet.

I'm from the area where University High plays. Please don't count them out or short. They have 2 ace type pitchers in Degennaro & Meredith. They aren't as strong hitting the ball but they've been in double digits quite a few games this season. They lost a lot of games in tournaments as well against much bigger schools.

They didn't lose a single conference game including their District tourney. They blew everybody in their conference away just about every game. Degennaro can also swing the bat really well. He's UH's leading hitter & not just their pitching ace. I think Greenback has the advantage for sure but if Degennargo is on pitching it will be hard for the Cherokees to score more than 2-3 runs against him.

They also have Meredith available as well. He's not far behind Degennargo in just about every pitching stat. This will probably be a low scoring game. I would be shocked if either team scores more than 3-4 runs. UH can pull off the upset here against Greenback even with Greenback having more past postseason experience. It will just be a matter if Degennaro is fully on with his stuff. If he is Greenback can't hit him & to be honest not many Class A teams can except for maybe TCA & Gordonsville.

Does the Meredith kid play basketball too? That name sounds familiar for some reason.

20 hours ago, tonybologna said:

Degennaro pitched vs GB tonight and didn’t do a bad job but he isn’t near the ace that Reese Plemons is. Seemed like all he had was a fastball tonight. Usually your #1 has some off speed breakers but we saw 95% fastballs. Degennaro did get a nice hit to the wall for a double tho. I expect both GB and UH to make the state tournament with a win over Wartburg and Harriman. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ladykee said:

Does the Meredith kid play basketball too? That name sounds familiar for some reason.

Yes, Meredith plays basketball for UH as well.

1 hour ago, cherokee23 said:

Degennaro pitched vs GB tonight and didn’t do a bad job but he isn’t near the ace that Reese Plemons is. Seemed like all he had was a fastball tonight. Usually your #1 has some off speed breakers but we saw 95% fastballs. Degennaro did get a nice hit to the wall for a double tho. I expect both GB and UH to make the state tournament with a win over Wartburg and Harriman. 

Degennaro does have more than a fastball. I know for a fact because I've seen him pitch twice this season & at least 3 times last season. He is mostly a fastball pitcher though. He depends on placement more than trying to throw it by guys. He does hit 87-88 MPH on the gun at times with that fastball. He also has a slider & a cutter. If he starts trying to throw the slider & it isn't doing what he wants it to do then he usually ditches that pitch for that game after 2-3 slider pitches. He throws the cutter usually only on 2 strike counts. I would say normally he throws 80% fastballs, 15% sliders, & 5% cutters.

The final score of this game against Greenback was about what I figured it would be. I said no team would score more than 3-4 runs. I thought the score would be like 2-0 or 4-2 Greenback. UH just doesn't have enough bats especially when it comes to facing ace pitchers. Then again we can say not many teams can hit ace pitchers at just about all classifications. I thought Rossview was a team that could hit ANY pitcher going into the postseason because their bats were on fire scoring like 8 straight double-digit games going into the Regionals. They were held to 3 runs by Hendersonville though.