2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

12 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Phoney I am actually only 17 and have zero children. I hope that you have not reproduced and will not. I would hate to think, that there are more people out there that take what some stranger, that posts on a high school sports message board so serious. With all that being said I appreciate all of your insight and input on the sport of high school baseball.  Good day sir 

The only reason I responded with a post towards you like I did was that you called me a clown. That's going a little too far. That's name calling so I have to protect myself. Wasn't trying to ruffle anybody's feathers myself. If you had kept the clown part out of it then I'm all OK with that post.

7 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Eat this post with a side of sweet crow. Phoney

LOL! I prefer sweet, cheesy corn instead of sweet crow! :grin:

6 hours ago, orngnblk said:

New rankings just came out

#1 GREENBACK CHEROKEES

Yep. That's what we're going to have now come tomorrow's final state rankings.

6 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

He already said he was done with me LOL

I thought I was done with you after calling me a clown but no need to have any hard feelings. I'm actually pretty easy to get along with. It was just your post calling me that clown in which it got to me a bit. No hard feelings buddy. Congratulations on Greenback winning the state title!

6 hours ago, WarChant said:

I’m glad he keep picking against us just fueled the fire for the boys. Congrats on the state championship Cherokees!!!!

I fueled them? Oh well. Maybe I should have done this to my 3 teams in the state tourney. Maybe they would have done better! LOL!

Congratulations to Greenback- Class A, Covington- Class AA, & Farragut- Class AAA in winning state Championships. All well deserved! Covington was probably the team that played the best overall from start to finish of the state tourney. I picked Covington just before the season started to win it all in Class AA but changed my pick midway through the season to Greeneville. Covington just hit & pitched well the entire state tournament.

I did have Farragut as my Class AAA pick from before the season til the end. The only other team from Class AAA I thought had a chance was Station Camp but they lost in the Sectionals. I certainly didn't expect Bradley Central in the Championship Game despite their tradition. In Class A, I picked Greenback to make the state tourney but not to win it. I had Gibson County as the winners before the season. I actually had TCA as the 3rd best team behind both Gibson County & Greenback. I think without a doubt though Greenback & TCA are the 2 best teams from Class A.   

I've got a question for you guys. How many of you would like to see high school baseball games changed to 9 innings? I'm for this myself. I mean college is 9 innings, the minors are 9 innings, & MLB are 9 innings. I would love to see the TSSAA to make this change. For Double-Headers make them 7 inning games instead of the 5 innings we have now .

Some might say this is too much on pitchers. Some might say this is too much for all players. I say it's a good idea to prepare the players that will sign with some type of college for the next level. 2 extra innings isn't that much. I would say for regular season 9 inning games that go extra innings just make a rule that stops the game after an inning limit if still tied. Maybe 12 innings as a limit? If still tied after 12 innings then it's a tie. That's until postseason play where somebody must win.

One other thing. Let's bring back up the Class A Championship Game between Greenback & TCA. Look at this linescore:

Greenback 2R 5H 1E
Trinity 1R 7H 5E

Looking at just the linescore who should have won this game? I know games aren't won on linescores except for the most important part which is Runs. However, TCA had 5 errors with 7 hits. Greenback had 5 hits with 1 error. Did TCA give this Championship Game away or did Greenback earn it? It's kind of like the post from the Greenback/Lake County game were Lake County did this same exact thing. 4 errors & a key 2-R error with the score tied 2-2 helped Greenback to a win. There is no right or wrong answer here.

I would just like some honest non-biased opinions on this. I'm saying that even though Lake County had that key 2-R error vs Greenback in which the score ended up being 6-2 Greenback anyhow that the Cherokees earned that game more than they did the Championship Game vs TCA. But, I feel like both games they were helped to the wins more than actually earning them. Again, there are no right or wrong answers. These are strictly opinion based. Thanks guys & it's been a very fun high school baseball season.  

Edited by tonybologna

7 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I tried to let him know nicely but he didnt hear me i guess.Thanks for pulling this up.:popcorneater:

Please go back & read that post of mine. What did I post? I said Greenback AT THAT TIME didn't seem like a contender BUT what else did I post about them? I stated I wasn't ready or going to remove them as a sleeper. I always felt like Greenback could end up at least being in the Championship Game. I NEVER posted anything different either. :wink:

44 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Please go back & read that post of mine. What did I post? I said Greenback AT THAT TIME didn't seem like a contender BUT what else did I post about them? I stated I wasn't ready or going to remove them as a sleeper. I always felt like Greenback could end up at least being in the Championship Game. I NEVER posted anything different either. :wink:

I watched the last part of the game on my phone and have you ever seen any thing like this in a title game in any sport? TCA won the game and lost because a kid got caught up in the moment. I feel really bad for the kid and TCA. I will pray for the kid and all involved. Mike Keith even complimented TCA for getting Greenback out in the 8th. He knew that was a mental dagger. The Greenback run in the 9th would have never happend had the base running mistake not happend. Pitcher had the Greenback runner probably out at third if he looks him down and he never looked him down. Congrats to Greenback for winning the title, but in my eyes they lost the game. I have never seen any thing like this.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tonybologna said:

The only reason I responded with a post towards you like I did was that you called me a clown. That's going a little too far. That's name calling so I have to protect myself. Wasn't trying to ruffle anybody's feathers myself. If you had kept the clown part out of it then I'm all OK with that post.

LOL! I prefer sweet, cheesy corn instead of sweet crow! :grin:

Yep. That's what we're going to have now come tomorrow's final state rankings.

I thought I was done with you after calling me a clown but no need to have any hard feelings. I'm actually pretty easy to get along with. It was just your post calling me that clown in which it got to me a bit. No hard feelings buddy. Congratulations on Greenback winning the state title!

I fueled them? Oh well. Maybe I should have done this to my 3 teams in the state tourney. Maybe they would have done better! LOL!

Congratulations to Greenback- Class A, Covington- Class AA, & Farragut- Class AAA in winning state Championships. All well deserved! Covington was probably the team that played the best overall from start to finish of the state tourney. I picked Covington just before the season started to win it all in Class AA but changed my pick midway through the season to Greeneville. Covington just hit & pitched well the entire state tournament.

I did have Farragut as my Class AAA pick from before the season til the end. The only other team from Class AAA I thought had a chance was Station Camp but they lost in the Sectionals. I certainly didn't expect Bradley Central in the Championship Game despite their tradition. In Class A, I picked Greenback to make the state tourney but not to win it. I had Gibson County as the winners before the season. I actually had TCA as the 3rd best team behind both Gibson County & Greenback. I think without a doubt though Greenback & TCA are the 2 best teams from Class A.   

I've got a question for you guys. How many of you would like to see high school baseball games changed to 9 innings? I'm for this myself. I mean college is 9 innings, the minors are 9 innings, & MLB are 9 innings. I would love to see the TSSAA to make this change. For Double-Headers make them 7 inning games instead of the 5 innings we have now .

Some might say this is too much on pitchers. Some might say this is too much for all players. I say it's a good idea to prepare the players that will sign with some type of college for the next level. 2 extra innings isn't that much. I would say for regular season 9 inning games that go extra innings just make a rule that stops the game after an inning limit if still tied. Maybe 12 innings as a limit? If still tied after 12 innings then it's a tie. That's until postseason play where somebody must win.

One other thing. Let's bring back up the Class A Championship Game between Greenback & TCA. Look at this linescore:

Greenback 2R 5H 1E
Trinity 1R 7H 5E

Looking at just the linescore who should have won this game? I know games aren't won on linescores except for the most important part which is Runs. However, TCA had 5 errors with 7 hits. Greenback had 5 hits with 1 error. Did TCA give this Championship Game away or did Greenback earn it? It's kind of like the post from the Greenback/Lake County game were Lake County did this same exact thing. 4 errors & a key 2-R error with the score tied 2-2 helped Greenback to a win. There is no right or wrong answer here.

I would just like some honest non-biased opinions on this. I'm saying that even though Lake County had that key 2-R error vs Greenback in which the score ended up being 6-2 Greenback anyhow that the Cherokees earned that game more than they did the Championship Game vs TCA. But, I feel like both games they were helped to the wins more than actually earning them. Again, there are no right or wrong answers. These are strictly opinion based. Thanks guys & it's been a very fun high school baseball season.  

The nine inning thing... no. Too much emphasis, and too much damage done to pitchers already. In no other sport can one player have the impact on a game that a HS pitcher does now, then in turn can't play (in that position) for the next two or three games (typically). College, pro, or whatever... this is high school, kids are developing still, and (some) coaches aren't good enough, or trustworthy enough to decide how much wear and tear a 14 to 18 year old's arm can take. The game it's self is fine at this level with the mercy rule at 5 innings, and the extra innings games extending to 9 or 10 innings often. The 120 pitch count rule sort of takes care of an arm for one game, but the season is long enough without adding 60 to 80 innings.

I'm not going to answer the class A title question... sometimes "it is what it is" is enough... any answer is the wrong answer other than that.

12 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

The nine inning thing... no. Too much emphasis, and too much damage done to pitchers already. In no other sport can one player have the impact on a game that a HS pitcher does now, then in turn can't play (in that position) for the next two or three games (typically). College, pro, or whatever... this is high school, kids are developing still, and (some) coaches aren't good enough, or trustworthy enough to decide how much wear and tear a 14 to 18 year old's arm can take. The game it's self is fine at this level with the mercy rule at 5 innings, and the extra innings games extending to 9 or 10 innings often. The 120 pitch count rule sort of takes care of an arm for one game, but the season is long enough without adding 60 to 80 innings.

I'm not going to answer the class A title question... sometimes "it is what it is" is enough... any answer is the wrong answer other than that.

What on the bold above? "It is what it is" is the only answer & anything other than that is the WRONG answer? Well, I know the Championship Game might could go with that answer but "It is what it is" IS NOT the only answer to stuff like this happening. I already had mentioned there are no WRONG answers because every answer will be an OPINION on this. So, you saying anything other than "It is what it is" as a wrong answer would not be correct. There are multiple possible opinions/answers. 

58 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I watched the last part of the game on my phone and have you ever seen any thing like this in a title game in any sport? TCA won the game and lost because a kid got caught up in the moment. I feel really bad for the kid and TCA. I will pray for the kid and all involved. Mike Keith even complimented TCA for getting Greenback out in the 8th. He knew that was a mental dagger. The Greenback run in the 9th would have never happend had the base running mistake not happend. Pitcher had the Greenback runner probably out at third if he looks him down and he never looked him down. Congrats to Greenback for winning the title, but in my eyes they lost the game. I have never seen any thing like this.

Well I will Put in my final thoughts then it is back to the football thread. I myself Have never seen anything like it. I really Hate it for the young man. TCA did their best and I am So proud of them. Sometimes in life things don’t go the way you planned. G if you read this there is nothing to hang your head for. I have Enjoyed watching  you play and grow up. But more important I cant Wait to see how God uses you and this situation in the future. I love All those young men and glad to say they represent my school. We can pick out this and pick out that but the truth is that it is just a game. I myself Have to be reminded of that. Good luck to all the players from both schools in their future endeavors. And congrats to Greenback. 

• Upvote 4

The Covington Chargers(CHS) just made SportsCenter for their state title win today. It showed the HR by the kid that either his Dad or himself had been really sick & it was a pretty touching short spot on SportsCenter. I can't remember the kids name from Covington though. He was a pretty big kid but the HR was hit as a PH HR off the bench. I don't think he had played much in recent weeks. 

2 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

Well I will Put in my final thoughts then it is back to the football thread. I myself Have never seen anything like it. I really Hate it for the young man. TCA did their best and I am So proud of them. Sometimes in life things don’t go the way you planned. G if you read this there is nothing to hang your head for. I have Enjoyed watching  you play and grow up. But more important I cant Wait to see how God uses you and this situation in the future. I love All those young men and glad to say they represent my school. We can pick out this and pick out that but the truth is that it is just a game. I myself Have to be reminded of that. Good luck to all the players from both schools in their future endeavors. And congrats to Greenback. 

Excellent post & explanation. +2 on that post buddy. Something like this happening can really take a toll on a kid's life. You said it great about what God has in store for him in the future. Sometimes bad things happen in order for God to allow something good to take place in the future. More importantly what you said is that this is just a game. Not the GAME OF LIFE but just a baseball game. 

Going 9 innings is too much in my mind for high school kids with TraderTwo pointing out the reasons why.

As far as the championship game?  It was a nail biter to the very end.  I feel very saddened for the player and the play that ultimately decided the outcome. 

Both teams were thisclose in comparison.  I feel as though Trinity was the better team but not on the day it counted the most.

And as far as the play mentioned above, I have spend a few years here on CoachT and have read the Trinity Christian posters all this time.  They seem like a very well respected and tight knit bunch of folks.  I'm sure they will gather around their school, team and inner circle and see this young man through what has to be a difficult time.

I hope and pray the young man can put this one play behind him,  hold his head high, continue his education and rise above this game of baseball or any game for that matter and make a difference in this chaotic world in which we live.  

I believe he will as I've stated above the Trinity folk seem to be those type of people.  

42 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

What on the bold above? "It is what it is" is the only answer & anything other than that is the WRONG answer? Well, I know the Championship Game might could go with that answer but "It is what it is" IS NOT the only answer to stuff like this happening. I already had mentioned there are no WRONG answers because every answer will be an OPINION on this. So, you saying anything other than "It is what it is" as a wrong answer would not be correct. There are multiple possible opinions/answers. 

Sometimes things are better for all involved to leave everything unsaid... it is what it is.

You asked for input on the championship game, even stated the participants... don't back up and say "might go for that answer" for what you specifically asked, then get your panties in a bunch trying to include "stuff like this". For you to entice folks to pontificate whether Greenback "won" the game, or TCA gifted it to them is just a little bit twisted... these are kids, and they read this junk.

By the way... just because you said that there was no WRONG answer (in your eyes) doesn't mean that it isn't better not to answer at all.

Just stick to bragging about how many picks you've gotten right, and you'll only mildly irritate a few people.

Edited by tradertwo