2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

Final thoughts.... TCA had many chances to win this game. I mean they basically did. Errors killed them. Leaving bases loaded twice hurt. And then the kid not touching first base of course didn’t help. Watching today, the batting lineups were pretty even. The defense was better for Greenback. The pitching I guess you could say was even, even though I think Reese Plemons was the best player in the entire tournament. As said earlier, this is a “it is what it is” situation and sometimes the big moment can get the best of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigEdMo said:

Well I will Put in my final thoughts then it is back to the football thread. I myself Have never seen anything like it. I really Hate it for the young man. TCA did their best and I am So proud of them. Sometimes in life things don’t go the way you planned. G if you read this there is nothing to hang your head for. I have Enjoyed watching  you play and grow up. But more important I cant Wait to see how God uses you and this situation in the future. I love All those young men and glad to say they represent my school. We can pick out this and pick out that but the truth is that it is just a game. I myself Have to be reminded of that. Good luck to all the players from both schools in their future endeavors. And congrats to Greenback. 

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

Going 9 innings is too much in my mind for high school kids with TraderTwo pointing out the reasons why.

As far as the championship game?  It was a nail biter to the very end.  I feel very saddened for the player and the play that ultimately decided the outcome. 

Both teams were thisclose in comparison.  I feel as though Trinity was the better team but not on the day it counted the most.

And as far as the play mentioned above, I have spend a few years here on CoachT and have read the Trinity Christian posters all this time.  They seem like a very well respected and tight knit bunch of folks.  I'm sure they will gather around their school, team and inner circle and see this young man through what has to be a difficult time.

I hope and pray the young man can put this one play behind him,  hold his head high, continue his education and rise above this game of baseball or any game for that matter and make a difference in this chaotic world in which we live.  

I believe he will as I've stated above the Trinity folk seem to be those type of people.  

The kid will think about this a while I am sure but time and the good Lord heals all wounds. IMO, he can look at it as if they did win the title but didn't get the trophy. He will always remember the good feeling he had seeing the ball hit the ground and the feeling he had running to his teammates. But all of you guys are right. It is a game and I am sure the TCA and West TN fan bases will lift this kid up and be a positive influence for him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

Final thoughts.... TCA had many chances to win this game. I mean they basically did. Errors killed them. Leaving bases loaded twice hurt. And then the kid not touching first base of course didn’t help. Watching today, the batting lineups were pretty even. The defense was better for Greenback. The pitching I guess you could say was even, even though I think Reese Plemons was the best player in the entire tournament. As said earlier, this is a “it is what it is” situation and sometimes the big moment can get the best of you.

Congrats on the win and a great tournament. Greenback dug deep.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

Well I will Put in my final thoughts then it is back to the football thread. I myself Have never seen anything like it. I really Hate it for the young man. TCA did their best and I am So proud of them. Sometimes in life things don’t go the way you planned. G if you read this there is nothing to hang your head for. I have Enjoyed watching  you play and grow up. But more important I cant Wait to see how God uses you and this situation in the future. I love All those young men and glad to say they represent my school. We can pick out this and pick out that but the truth is that it is just a game. I myself Have to be reminded of that. Good luck to all the players from both schools in their future endeavors. And congrats to Greenback. 

I have spent several hours thinking of something to say without success. I can stop thinking because Big Ed said it good. 

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Sometimes things are better for all involved to leave everything unsaid... it is what it is.

You asked for input on the championship game, even stated the participants... don't back up and say "might go for that answer" for what you specifically asked, then get your panties in a bunch trying to include "stuff like this". For you to entice folks to pontificate whether Greenback "won" the game, or TCA gifted it to them is just a little bit twisted... these are kids, and they read this junk.

By the way... just because you said that there was no WRONG answer (in your eyes) doesn't mean that it isn't better not to answer at all.

Just stick to bragging about how many picks you've gotten right, and you'll only mildly irritate a few people.

My panties in a wad? LOL! There are only opinions on what I asked & no right or wrong answers. That's the facts buddy. You just blown what I posted way out of proportion dude. Enticing folks? Are you kidding me? I asked for opinions but YOU came back with a post stating anything otherwise than what you said would be WRONG! That's not enticing anybody! You put this on yourself with saying there is only one answer & that's simply not true.

You post it another way other than saying you're right in what you said regardless then I wouldn't had a problem with what you posted at all. Had to call you out though because of what you posted which wasn't really an opinion because you added that anything else other than what you said was WRONG! Don't come back at me when what you said is to blame. I was trying to get opinions from folks & not someone saying there is ONLY 1 answer & nothing else.

By the way, I wasn't bragging about my picks either. Someone mentioned my % on the picks before. Somebody else poked fun at the games I missed. I was simply posting my % stats from all of postseason picks which weren't bad at all. That's all I was doing. Not bragging at ALL! No need to brag. It's something that I like to do. There's not a single thing wrong in me doing it either. No rules against me posting whatever picks I want to make either.

Edited by tonybologna

8 hours ago, tonybologna said:

The only reason I responded with a post towards you like I did was that you called me a clown. That's going a little too far. That's name calling so I have to protect myself. Wasn't trying to ruffle anybody's feathers myself. If you had kept the clown part out of it then I'm all OK with that post.

LOL! I prefer sweet, cheesy corn instead of sweet crow! :grin:

Yep. That's what we're going to have now come tomorrow's final state rankings.

I thought I was done with you after calling me a clown but no need to have any hard feelings. I'm actually pretty easy to get along with. It was just your post calling me that clown in which it got to me a bit. No hard feelings buddy. Congratulations on Greenback winning the state title!

I fueled them? Oh well. Maybe I should have done this to my 3 teams in the state tourney. Maybe they would have done better! LOL!

Congratulations to Greenback- Class A, Covington- Class AA, & Farragut- Class AAA in winning state Championships. All well deserved! Covington was probably the team that played the best overall from start to finish of the state tourney. I picked Covington just before the season started to win it all in Class AA but changed my pick midway through the season to Greeneville. Covington just hit & pitched well the entire state tournament.

I did have Farragut as my Class AAA pick from before the season til the end. The only other team from Class AAA I thought had a chance was Station Camp but they lost in the Sectionals. I certainly didn't expect Bradley Central in the Championship Game despite their tradition. In Class A, I picked Greenback to make the state tourney but not to win it. I had Gibson County as the winners before the season. I actually had TCA as the 3rd best team behind both Gibson County & Greenback. I think without a doubt though Greenback & TCA are the 2 best teams from Class A.   

I've got a question for you guys. How many of you would like to see high school baseball games changed to 9 innings? I'm for this myself. I mean college is 9 innings, the minors are 9 innings, & MLB are 9 innings. I would love to see the TSSAA to make this change. For Double-Headers make them 7 inning games instead of the 5 innings we have now .

Some might say this is too much on pitchers. Some might say this is too much for all players. I say it's a good idea to prepare the players that will sign with some type of college for the next level. 2 extra innings isn't that much. I would say for regular season 9 inning games that go extra innings just make a rule that stops the game after an inning limit if still tied. Maybe 12 innings as a limit? If still tied after 12 innings then it's a tie. That's until postseason play where somebody must win.

One other thing. Let's bring back up the Class A Championship Game between Greenback & TCA. Look at this linescore:

Greenback 2R 5H 1E
Trinity 1R 7H 5E

Looking at just the linescore who should have won this game? I know games aren't won on linescores except for the most important part which is Runs. However, TCA had 5 errors with 7 hits. Greenback had 5 hits with 1 error. Did TCA give this Championship Game away or did Greenback earn it? It's kind of like the post from the Greenback/Lake County game were Lake County did this same exact thing. 4 errors & a key 2-R error with the score tied 2-2 helped Greenback to a win. There is no right or wrong answer here.

I would just like some honest non-biased opinions on this. I'm saying that even though Lake County had that key 2-R error vs Greenback in which the score ended up being 6-2 Greenback anyhow that the Cherokees earned that game more than they did the Championship Game vs TCA. But, I feel like both games they were helped to the wins more than actually earning them. Again, there are no right or wrong answers. These are strictly opinion based. Thanks guys & it's been a very fun high school baseball season.  

Here is my uneducated opinion on Greenback/Lake County/TC.The better coached/prepared team won both games.They committed less errors and played better D.Thats what won the games and some good pitching also.JMO!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Here is my uneducated opinion on Greenback/Lake County/TC.The better coached/prepared team won both games.They committed less errors and played better D.Thats what won the games and some good pitching also.JMO!

54 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

7 innings is the right amount for HS.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Congrats to Greenback for winning the title, but in my eyes they lost the game. I have never seen any thing like this.

I checked the box score and it had Greenback as the winner. Lasik surgery is about $4,500.00, or they also make meds for being butt hurt. 

Edited by MLREB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MLREB said:

I checked the box score and it had Greenback as the winner. Lasik surgery is about $4,500.00, or they also make meds for being butt hurt. 

I am not butt hurt. Just stating the facts. Your team played well but Santa Clause came early this year. It was a gift from TCA. You ought to thank the TCA faithful for the gift. I am from Gibson County. 

29 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

In my eyes and the box score the better prepared team won!

You made fewer mistakes than TCA obviously. TCA had five errors to 1 right? And a mental mistake on the run scored in the 9h. Mike Keith said on broadcast that both runs were unearned.