2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

Here are my picks from the latest Poll:

Class A:

Gibson County & Trinity Christian are my top 2 favorites. Sleepers are Gordonsville, Greenback, & Lookout Valley.

Class AA:

Covington & Greeneville are my top 2 favorites. Sleepers are Elizabethton, South Gibson, & Creek Wood.

Class AAA:

Collierville & Farragut are my top 2 favorites. Sleepers are Houston, Mt. Juliet, & Clarskville.

Div. II-A:

CAK & CPA are my top 2 favorites. Sleepers are Tipton-Rosemark & USJ.

Div. II-AA:

Baylor is my clear favorite. Sleepers are MUS & Ensworth.

If I had to pick the Champs for each class as of right now they would be as follows:

Class A:

Trinity Christian Academy (TCA)

Class AA:

Covington

Class AAA:

Collierville

Div. II-A:

CAK (Christian Academy Knoxville)

Div. II-AA:

Baylor

Greenback beat Pigeon Forge last week,Beat Loudon twice and 6A William Blount,all are having very good seasons,plays CAK,Greeneville (#1 in 2A),Knox Grace this weekend.I guess we will see what we are made of soon enough.If they run the gauntlet on these 3 heavy hitters im not sure i would call them a sleeper!

Edited by orngnblk

9 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Greenback beat Pigeon Forge last week,Beat Loudon twice and 6A William Blount,all are having very good seasons,plays CAK,Greeneville (#1 in 2A),Knox Grace this weekend.I guess we will see what we are made of soon enough.If they run the gauntlet on these 3 heavy hitters im not sure i would call them a sleeper!

Which team are you talking about? Is it William Blount or Greenback? How you worded your reply sort of confused me on which team you might be saying is a sleeper. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

Which team are you talking about? Is it William Blount or Greenback? How you worded your reply sort of confused me on which team you might be saying is a sleeper. Thanks.

You stated GB as a sleeper.After this weekend and the teams we have to face (i already posted them) and come out on the winning end i said i would remove the sleeper tag.GB was right there at the end last year and return basically the same team so its kinda hard for me to see them as a sleeper anyway.But you always have well thought out posts!

Edited by orngnblk
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, orngnblk said:

You stated GB as a sleeper.After this weekend and the teams we have to face (i already posted them) and come out on the winning end i said i would remove the sleeper tag.GB was right there at the end last year and return basically the same team so its kinda hard for me to see them as a sleeper anyway.But you always have well thought out posts!

I just wasn't sure if you was talking about Greenback or William Blount. I didn't think you were talking about William Blount but you mentioned them in that previous reply so I wasn't sure. :wink:

As far as removing Greenback as a sleeper. I'm not ready to do that myself. They certainly don't seem like the team that made the semifinals of the Class A state tournament last season. Like you said though basically ever player is back from that team. The thing about baseball at the high school level & above is if a team has 2 ace type SP's you can never count them out.

I will go as far as saying even 1 ace type pitcher will work for certain teams that have the hitting to back up the 1 ace/dominate SP. I do agree with you though about Greenback seeming to not look like a contending or sleeper team at this time but I can't remove them just yet from my sleeper lists. Thanks.

9 hours ago, glock22 said:

East Hamilton got swept in 2 games this week by Bradley County.  I doubt their ranking holds.

Yeah, I saw that. East Hamilton has lost 4 of their last 6 games. They are ranked #5 in this latest poll but I would guess next week they just might totally drop out of the Top 10 in Class AAA. Bradley Central might jump into the poll next week as well even though they have 8 losses (17-8).

Edited by tonybologna

2 hours ago, cherokee23 said:

Greenback already up early in the 2nd inning 5-0 against #3 CAK. If this keeps up, I wonder if they’ll still be considered a “sleeper” lol

I don't know whether Greenback should even be in the "sleeper" category to be honest. They made the semifinals of the Class A state tourney last season with most players back so me placing them as a sleeper might be a bit ungenerous. LOL!

Elizabethton in Class AA whom I also placed in the sleeper category just got upset bigtime by a 6-15 Jeff County team. It was close but a loss is a loss. The final score was 7-6 Patriots. A bad loss for the Cyclones. I know in high school baseball a team with a true ACE pitcher can beat ANY team on a given day but this is a MAJOR upset. Glad it wasn't a conference game though for Betsy.

Edited by tonybologna