2019 State Baseball Poll Rankings (Poll #2)(4-14-19)

tonybologna

1 hour ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Lake County beat Gibson County 3 to 2 and Trinity beat Union City 2 to 1. Trinity travels to Lake County Wednesday.

I'm shocked Gibson County got knocked out. But, like I said previously any one team can beat another a game in these Semifinal games. That's why I think the TSSAA has got to figure out a way to make these semi-finals the best of 3 format for ALL classes (A-AAA). It's already like that for most of Div. II-A & Div. II-AA. TCA just barely got through in extra innings but I think they will easily beat Lake County for the Championship & advance to the Sectionals. There was an awful lot of 1 run games tonight. That just shows the competition is solid & also indicates that certain teams like a Gibson County just got upset & having a best of 3 would more than likely end up with Gibson County beating Lake County twice in a row after that 1 loss.

A few upsets tonight for sure but most of them except for the Gibson County game were mild upsets. I don't call Tenn. High in Region 1-AAA beating Sevier County an upset myself. TH was picked to be right where they are to begin the season. Hardin Valley beating Powell could be considered a pretty big upset. GCA (Grace Christian-Franklin) even though their record wasn't good beat a good Cornersville team. Hendersonville beat a red hot hitting Rossview club so that was a little bit of a surprise to me. Some might consider Arlington beating Brighton a pretty big upset. I think it is a mild upset but Arlington had played well the 2nd half of the season.

Lincoln County beating Blackman was a mild upset. Chester County beating South Gibson is a pretty big upset. Forrest even though they had a record just above .500 beat a Creek Wood team that was 24-7 so that's a decent upset. We still have 2 more Semifinal games left to play tomorrow. I can't understand for the life of me why these 2 games were postponed for today. The weather was beautiful ALL across the state of Tennessee.

The Greeneville/Sullivan South game for some crazy reason was rescheduled for tomorrow on Sunday. The other rescheduled game is also from Region 1 as well. These 4 teams have placed themselves or at least the school systems have in a bad situation compared to the rest of the Semifinal games being played today. They will not have a day off now. Some may say high school baseball is played on back-to-back days all season long & they are but it's the postseason now & rest is more important between games than it was in the regular season.

Edited by tonybologna

I did forget one other upset & it might be a bigger upset than the Gibson County loss. Harriman defeated Lookout Valley on the road 4-1. Harriman has been a team that has shown it can be good at times but also very inconsistent as well. Lookout Valley did have 8 losses coming into tonight's game vs Harriman but all of their losses were against Top 10 or Top 20 ranked teams from various classifications. Harriman was a team because of the inconsistent play had a .500 record of 16-16.

This again is another one of these 1 game cases were I feel no way the best team won but they did on this 1 night but if you stick these 2 teams in a 3 game series & Lookout Valley wins just like I feel that Gibson County would have done the same against Lake County. It is what it is for now though. One bad game & you're GONE! If the TSSAA can make the state tourney double elimination then they can do the same for these Regional Semifinals as well.

I know Div. II-A & Div. II-AA are a different class of baseball but still very good teams & even they have implemented this best of 3 series format for the postseason so they already have a double elimination format for their postseason games. I'm not holding my breath though that the TSSAA will make this change to Class A-AAA in the near future.

Harriman’s ace is a good as anyone’s in their area. When he pitches well they are hard to beat. I don’t believe they have lost a game where he has started. Their pitching staff takes a huge step back when he’s not on the mound. Regardless of the outcome Wednesday between them and Wartburg both of those teams will be tough outs Friday in their sectional game.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:56 AM, tonybologna said:

The basketball format would be fine too with 4 teams from each District going to the Regionals. I'm more like you in that the Regionals be double elimination rather than the Sectionals. I just wished they would consider doing it for one or the other though. Or, the basketball option of 4 teams advancing to the Regionals.

I just know this 2 team thing with one & done needs to be changed in the Regionals. A bad game by a good team & they could be gone just like that. People could say at this time of the season a good/great time shouldn't have a bad game but it happens.

The thing that just doesn't feel "right" about the baseball playoffs is that it depends not if you lose a game, but when. You begin with double elimination in district, and end with double elimination at state... lose in regionals or sectionals, and you're done. The entire regular season seeds the district, which is rendered almost meaningless by the double elimination format. In the next two stages, a lone loss ends your season. I'd be more inclined to go single elimination for district with the higher seed hosting all games, double elimination for region, and a sectional with a best of three series, if allotted time isn't enough for all to be double elimination.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The thing that just doesn't feel "right" about the baseball playoffs is that it depends not if you lose a game, but when. You begin with double elimination in district, and end with double elimination at state... lose in regionals or sectionals, and you're done. The entire regular season seeds the district, which is rendered almost meaningless by the double elimination format. In the next two stages, a lone loss ends your season. I'd be more inclined to go single elimination for district with the higher seed hosting all games, double elimination for region, and a sectional with a best of three series, if allotted time isn't enough for all to be double elimination.

I can go with that format too. +1 on that post. Something has got to be changed for sure though. Like you said lose a game at the wrong time of the season now & your GONE! The TSSAA has GOT to fix this but they just don't seem to get it. :-o

2 hours ago, tonybologna said:

I can go with that format too. +1 on that post. Something has got to be changed for sure though. Like you said lose a game at the wrong time of the season now & your GONE! The TSSAA has GOT to fix this but they just don't seem to get it. :-o

Or you could step up and not lose the biggest game of the year. Let’s not forget this is the same lake county team that beat Gibson county 14-4 last year 

Edited by Outsider1998
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tonybologna said:

I did forget one other upset & it might be a bigger upset than the Gibson County loss. Harriman defeated Lookout Valley on the road 4-1. Harriman has been a team that has shown it can be good at times but also very inconsistent as well. Lookout Valley did have 8 losses coming into tonight's game vs Harriman but all of their losses were against Top 10 or Top 20 ranked teams from various classifications. Harriman was a team because of the inconsistent play had a .500 record of 16-16.

This again is another one of these 1 game cases were I feel no way the best team won but they did on this 1 night but if you stick these 2 teams in a 3 game series & Lookout Valley wins just like I feel that Gibson County would have done the same against Lake County. It is what it is for now though. One bad game & you're GONE! If the TSSAA can make the state tourney double elimination then they can do the same for these Regional Semifinals as well.

I know Div. II-A & Div. II-AA are a different class of baseball but still very good teams & even they have implemented this best of 3 series format for the postseason so they already have a double elimination format for their postseason games. I'm not holding my breath though that the TSSAA will make this change to Class A-AAA in the near future.

I wouldn't sleep on Lake Co.The Puckett kid is a stud.Believe several colleges are looking at him.Think he hit 3 home runs in a game last week.The Wilson twins didn't play summer ball in Lake Co last year but played for Dyersburg and won the World Series with one of them pitching.I think Snyder hit one out last week.Games they lost may be because of depth of pitching but if a new series ,and the right pitcher on the mound,who knows.TCA easily beating LC.?Could happen but they didn't easily beat UC.So who knows?  Don't know if Snyder can pitch or not.He went to Dyersburg as a freshman fire baller and moved back to Lake Co where he started at QB.Tore his labrum.So not sure if they ever pitch him any.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Outsider1998 said:

Or you could step up and not lose the biggest game of the year. Let’s not forget this is the same lake county team that beat Gibson county 14-4 last year 

Not about any one game, just an in general conversation discussing which "biggest game of the year" you can lose and still advance in the playoff, and which "biggest game of the year" sends you home.

• Upvote 1

I’m truly struggling to see opinions such as Gibson County would have won a series etc? Gibson Co was a great senior heavy team (6 I think) and had several chances to win last night! Squandered opportunities in the 7th 8th 9th and 10th but it was the same for the Falcons...that’s baseball! GC had 5 hits in 10 innings and neither team hit the ball well...compliments to both pitching staffs! Everyone in LC has been waiting on this group to start producing like we knew they could...maybe a year earlier than some thought? In single A when you have 2 great arms it’ll get you a long way! LC is probably the biggest team you will see and not a speedy bunch but a ton of gritty guys! I’d also say a great group of young men! Hats off to Gibson Co...hard for anyone to lose that one! Study before we start the upset mess because I saw two very equally matched teams!

Edited by shockernation

24 minutes ago, shockernation said:

I’m truly struggling to see opinions such as Gibson County would have won a series etc? Gibson Co was a great senior heavy team (6 I think) and had several chances to win last night! Squandered opportunities in the 7th 8th 9th and 10th but it was the same for the Falcons...that’s baseball! GC had 5 hits in 10 innings and neither team hit the ball well...compliments to both pitching staffs! Everyone in LC has been waiting on this group to start producing like we knew they could...maybe a year earlier than some thought? In single A when you have 2 great arms it’ll get you a long way! LC is probably the biggest team you will see and not a speedy bunch but a ton of gritty guys! I’d also say a great group of young men! Hats off to Gibson Co...hard for anyone to lose that one! Study before we start the upset mess because I saw two very equally matched teams!

Lake County was a good team. GC had their chances. Center fielder for Lake County saved two runs maybe three. Good win for Lake County.