BA question

panfan

I totally disagree with your statments. I see it along with everyone I know that MBA is that way they are mommas boys that are stuck up think that the world revolves around then and are classless. So you see its all in the eye of the beholder and it all depends on where you are from and what you have seen. Anyways what kind of class do you have pointing someone elses out. No one is perfect unlike what all you rich belmeade people think. Sorry! I respect MBA and BA but BA is a different place it tries and some times fails to be a christian school and do the right thing. All this hate comes from BA being the best and when they are the best you say they recruit and when they arent the best you say they are classless. Until everyone knows all the facts and all that happened with Tom Moore (no one ever will) all you can do is assume. Assume this assume that!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panfan you either enjoy stirring things up or you are very jealous or bitter for some reason. BA is not a perfect school; but show me one that is. Here is an unbiased opinion for you as I sent children to both Brentwood High and Brentwood Academy. I only wish I had learned about BA earlier. I have for the most part seen BA attempt to fulfill it's mission of helping its students to excel academically, athletically and spiritually. I hope something changes for you and you can become more positive and constructive. Peace.

Panfan,

That's a bit much!

Some people do well in certain environments, and others don't. I spent some time there, and quickly determined that it was not for me. I do not care for the school, but I do know that there are a tremendous number of quality people there including coaches, teachers, and students. They definitely live in their own world, but that is perfectly fine for them to do. It is their school, not yours. Many of their alumni are friends of mine; we give each other a hard time when our schools face off, but I can certainly say that they are solid individuals worthy of much more credit than you are giving.

I am FlyBy

Panfan, you are a noteworthy member of this message board, and I respect many of your posts. However, your latest one is outrageous:

Posted by panfan:

BABILL,

the purpose of these posts is to point out what a classless institution BA has the reputation of being. You see, well you don't see, but everyone else does, BA is a cult. Everyone in BA thinks what they do is ok. Everyone outside BA, including all graduates I know, think BA is a terrible place to bring up children. BA is like that compound in Waco a few years back. Everyone inside thinks things are great, but on the outside, well you remember. learn to take a non bias stance and look around.

First, you claim that Brentwood Academy is a cult. The word cult is defined in Webster's dictionary as "a body of adherents to a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious based on dogma set forth by is promulgator." Brentwood Academy worships God. Its mission statement reads: Brentwood Academy is an independent, co-educational, college-preparatory school dedicated to nurturing and challenging the whole person - body, mind, and spirit - to the glory of God. If there is any "promulgator" at BA, it is God, not Carlton Flatt. Devotions are held every morning, students frequently participate in voluntary service projects, Bibles are in every classroom, there is a Spiritual Emphasis Week, many students tutor children twice a week, and numerous voluntary Bible classes are full (Christian ethics, philosophy, Christian leadership, Christian dynamics). If anything, BA is more like a church family than a cult body.

Second, you state that Brentwood Academy is a "terrible place to bring up children." This morning I sat in a school-wide Thanksgiving open-mic session for 1 hour. Students, faculty, and parents were encouraged to step forward and share what they were thankful for. The session was supposed to last 30 minutes, but the duration was doubled because people would not stop coming forward. Dominating the service was the statement that of all the places parents could send their children, BA is the only school they would ever consider. My father is on the advisory board, and he sums it up quite simply by saying, "This place changes lives." I was witness to a few powerful testimonies today regarding how BA has altered numerous lives. And football was not mentioned ONCE. Terrible place??? Apparently not if parents are willing to sacrifice $9,000 per year (and that's for ONE child) to send their children there.

Finally, you make an absolutely disrespectful, almost shameful reference to the Waco disaster. I won't even comment on your analogy of the Waco cult to BA, except to state that you should be embarrased that something like that is posted under your name.

It's fine with me if you don't like Brentwood Academy. But don't hurl insults at a place you haven't experienced. There is more to Brentwood Academy than football. If you don't believe me, ask me and I'll write an even longer post detailing BA's success in ventures having nothing to do with athletics. If you don't want to see this list, just trust me that it's impressive.

As a Brentwood Academy student, I know that my school is not perfect. But it's definitely not a "terrible place." It's changed my life, and the lives of countless others I know. If you don't believe me, just ask any BA parent. They'll tell you the same.

Although I think Panfan could have worded his thoughts differently, I agree with them somewhat. Both my mom and aunt graduated from BA and now would never want anything to do with the school. My aunt won't even consider sending her children there and my mom, well she's upset she sent me and my brother there. While I was at BA, I loved it. Now that I've expereinced Franklin High for three years, I never want to go back to BA. BA has issues I think they need to deal with. Wes, I respect your opinion, but I disagree somewhat. I'm glad your expereince has been positive...and mine was too, but I wouldn't sugest to anyone now to go to BA. Just my two cents! :x

FHSRebel, I respect your opinion. Obviously BA is not for everybody. No school meshes with everybody's personality, though. Does BA have issues? Sure. Does every school? Most certainly.

If you want to take a look at BA's non-athletic success, ask me and I'll tell you. If you want to take a look at a life improved by BA, ask a student or parent. They'll tell you.

[Edited by WesVols on 11-27-02 11:32P]

I have to agree with WesVols. Although I have questions about some of Coach Flatt's past actions, I know BA has great people at the school.

Panfan suggested that everyone is drinking the kool aid and lost their minds at BA. The Waco analogy was moronic beyond comprehension.

People are people...no school is perfect, and to modify an old saying, "if you find a perfect school, don't send your kids there because they will mess it up."

The lock should be coming soon to this thread.

you guys are great. all I was saying was that I have never met a single person outside BA that agrees with what they do. That is the only school I have ever heard of where that is true. That is all i was saying. You can name ANY private school in this state and I have heard people not associated with that school say good things about it. Never one time have i heard any outsider say anything good about BA. never once. that is all. maybe bringing up waco was a bit much, but really maybe not.

i know I know, people from BA are going to say that if you're on the outside, how can you judge. It is like this: if i hear 15 good things about a place and two bad, i am going to pretty much think good. If I hear 5 good, five bad, the truth is probably in the middle. But, when you hear not a single report of good: probably not good. That is kinda what I am getting at. Either way, go back to these questions: why isn't Flatt firing himself? did they take the trophy this time.