Derrick Davis's Chargers

OldCharger

Lol wow. When Davis had those very talented teams. He scheduled upperclass trans for out of district games. I also don't see Central only winning two or three games. Davis will have his team prepared and to be honest this Central team has more talent then he had at Polk for the last 5 seasons. I mean it's his first year there give the man some time. He's had to go in and change attitudes and the culture. Central has the right man for the job no doubt

Edited by Blaster7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haters going to hate lol.

I hope they have a winning season. Same kids different Head Coach, OC and DC. Retained some of the better staff members. Lost a few like Goodin and Styles. That hurts bc they're good position coaches. New OC Larry Davis should improve the offense and Derrick Davis calling the defense helps! Central's lone win was against a below average Bledsoe team last year. Sandman may be saying talent limited the OC last year and he thinks it will limit this team. Beating Tellico and Basin is on the level of beating Bledsoe but if they can beat teams like Sweetwater, Brainerd, Signal, Polk then that shows improvement. 

As far as the "right hire", Davis' record alone made him the correct choice. You know what you're getting with him. He has a winning record as a HC not a losing record in his career as a coordinator. It would have been crazy for the AD or Principal to go in ANY other direction. Dude can coach and when he changes the attitude, culture and confidence then Central will be winning ballgames consistently. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OldCharger said:

Haters going to hate lol.

I hope they have a winning season. Same kids different Head Coach, OC and DC. Retained some of the better staff members. Lost a few like Goodin and Styles. That hurts bc they're good position coaches. New OC Larry Davis should improve the offense and Derrick Davis calling the defense helps! Central's lone win was against a below average Bledsoe team last year. Sandman may be saying talent limited the OC last year and he thinks it will limit this team. Beating Tellico and Basin is on the level of beating Bledsoe but if they can beat teams like Sweetwater, Brainerd, Signal, Polk then that shows improvement. 

As far as the "right hire", Davis' record alone made him the correct choice. You know what you're getting with him. He has a winning record as a HC not a losing record in his career as a coordinator. It would have been crazy for the AD or Principal to go in ANY other direction. Dude can coach and when he changes the attitude, culture and confidence then Central will be winning ballgames consistently. 

Couldn't agree more. Davis will have them turned around fast and this season there will be improvement for sure. And when kids that ain't playing see what is happening more will come out. Looking forward to this season and supporting Davis and the Chargers. Be on doing my normal thing on Friday nights just in a different location and different colors. Go Chargers!!!

The excitement has definitely increased and the work ethic has too on this team. But, being realistic.... McMinn Co (6A) is a reach, Meigs is a beast, Red Bank returns several from a very good team last year and Loudon is going to be potent this year. That's 4 very difficult wins right off the top. The rest are winnable if key injuries don't hit this team. 

Just my humble opinion on what I am hearing from a few connected to the program. 

Go Blue! 

10 hours ago, elhosel said:

The excitement has definitely increased and the work ethic has too on this team. But, being realistic.... McMinn Co (6A) is a reach, Meigs is a beast, Red Bank returns several from a very good team last year and Loudon is going to be potent this year. That's 4 very difficult wins right off the top. The rest are winnable if key injuries don't hit this team. 

Just my humble opinion on what I am hearing from a few connected to the program. 

Go Blue! 

Here is my thought, I felt like Davis made a hard choice, but the correct one for this team.  I felt a QB change was needed last year.  The QB showed a lot of heart and played his guts out, but I felt it was just not his position.  .  I would have loved to have seen the QB from last year stay with the team, he was athletic and would have made a great DL or DE and offensively a great TE.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 9:54 PM, elhosel said:

Go Blue! 

After playing 6 games and no key injuries to the Chargers, do you think they're better than they were last year?

2 hours ago, elhosel said:

Central has had some key injuries but the downfall has been lack of concentration and old habits creeping back in when the going gets tough. So far the cumulative records of the loses are 20-1 with another undefeated team in Loudon up next. Hard to change some attitudes with this schedule! 

Who are the key players that are injured?
Do you think there should still be lack of concentration and old habits continuing 6 games into the season?
This years schedule was made easier, with two 1A schools. I only see 2 more probable wins. 

Edited by hohmaster

Not naming kids but the lineup has constantly been changed due to nagging injuries the past few games. And I don't know how you can say this schedule is easier when you see the records the opponents have that Central has played so far. Coming up, Copper Basin has only one loss right now. Brainerd has struggled against a strong schedule and Signal is down a little with a 2-4 record. Coach Davis wants the team to have some fight like they played with early in the season. Since Polk Co game, it seems like that level has dropped some... just my observation from the cheap seats. You may be right about the wins but that being said, a 4 win season would be a step forward. 

22 hours ago, hohmaster said:

Who are the key players that are injured?
Do you think there should still be lack of concentration and old habits continuing 6 games into the season?
This years schedule was made easier, with two 1A schools. I only see 2 more probable wins. 

Yeah the culture isn't going to change in a year. Davis got there late and been working hard on changing that. Have seen improvement. Central big problem too is turning the ball over and killing momentum

On 9/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, Blaster7 said:

Yeah the culture isn't going to change in a year. Davis got there late and been working hard on changing that. Have seen improvement. Central big problem too is turning the ball over and killing momentum

The culture should change from the day a new coach is hired. That doesn't mean the team will win every game, but every player should know the standards and expectations of the new coach. I think with 6 games into the season that most of the mental mistakes and turnovers from the previous season would have been eliminated. I just don't see the improvement there.

• Upvote 2