Transfer Thread - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

A player is a solid, well above average high school player. 

A few scenarios:

1. The current school he is attending is not ideal for his high school football career. Either his current team is second rate - below average team, coaches, and facilities. Team will have a small chance of making the playoffs or a certain first round drubbing. 

2. Coaches have him completely out of position or their scheme will not allow the player to reach his potential. So they're playing a running back at guard or the player has all the tools to be a solid QB or WR but the coach will not throw the ball. 

3. Player only plays defense at a big 5A or 6A program but could be the star running back at the local 2A or 3A school. 

There is an opportunity to make a legit transfer to another school with a team that he can contribute on right away and have more team and individual success. Anyone transfer for the above reasons and regret it? Anyone choose to stay at their school and regret that?

What would you recommend for a young, talented player in one of the above situations ? Stay at a school you've always attended or transfer for a better football opportunity?

• Like 1

I would let my child decide provided the academics was in line. I would not let him transfer from a top academic school to a small school with way less academic programs just to get playing time. Many factors involved but child must be happy in the end. Parents must work towards what’s best for child and not themselves. Daddy may have played for the Mud Dawgs back in the day but little Johnny might have a better chance in life playing for ole Red Beaulieu than Coach Klein. 

The only way I would transfer my son out of a high school program is if, I feel like the coaches are overall immoral or teaching him immoral lessons. Otherwise suck it up and play the position your coach puts you at. I don't care if the coaches are sub par coaches. I don't care if the team goes 0-10. If the coaches are good men, my son is getting a good education, and he is growing as a person then he stays, The only other way I would transfer is if I had a career change and had to move. 

• Upvote 1

High school is supposed to be one of the best times you have in school. Sports are a bonus that you get to enjoy and if your not having fun playing where your at because... A- your team is bad...B-Your coaches are terrible or whatever else the problem may be. then I say leave and go enjoy sports elsewhere to benefit yourself and have fun. 

• Upvote 1

Good answers! I think the personality and the abilities or inabilities of the coaches play a bigger factor today.

10-15 years ago I had the same attitude as haweanbula. When my son was in school he stayed and finished out with the guys he grew up with and made some great memories even though that didn't include a ton of postseason success. Today, with a grandson coming up I would recommend he look at all his options like WarChant said. 

Seems like every week another player "transfers" for primarily sports related reasons.  It's seems way more prevalent in high and especially NCAA now. It's been long accepted for a coach to jump ship and go to a better program but if a player does it he and his family are often criticized for not being loyal.  

Edited by Salem
  • Like 2

When it's all said and done only about 1-2 % of these kids will play at the next level.  Like someone else said, if you are in that percent, go to camps and put together a highlight video and somebody will find you.  

My advice would be to stay put unless it's so obvious your kid is getting done wrong that a lot of other parents have approached you about it.   Don't just assume LIttle Johnny should be the starting QB based on your opinion.

Edited by FridayMainEvent
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FridayMainEvent said:

When it's all said and done only about 1-2 % of these kids will play at the next level.  Like someone else said, if you are in that percent, go to camps and put together a highlight video and somebody will find you.  

My advice would be to stay put unless it's so obvious your kid is getting done wrong that a lot of other parents have approached you about it.   Don't just assume LIttle Johnny should be the starting QB based on your opinion.

Good post

To me, it depends on the player. If a player wants to win, then the kid has to be placed at a school that gives him/her the best chance to win. 

If a kid wants to be a “star athlete in high school” then he/she will need to go to a 1A/2A school that will give you way more opportunities to play and you’re able to produce. In addition to that, the chances of him staying in a football game will be longer because a 1A/2A football usually only has 30-40 players on it. The only downside, you’re having amazing stats against terrible teams. 

I will say this, if a coach is willing to sacrifice winning to improve the character of a player, I will get that kid the heck out. If I was a parent, it’s my job to raise my child, not the coach. I see a lot of coaches that gives two flips about winning, but wants to be a dad and improve their character and Yadi Yadi ya. High School athletes wants to win, they don’t want to be better individuals, they want to win and enjoy being high school athletes. No high school kid is going to say “man, we only went 2-8 in football but I sure did improve a whole lot as a person.” 

Playing at the next level is only one factor for justifying a transfer. A positive memory of high school football shouldn't be limited to those good enough to be picked for college. Some schools are academically inferior and some schools have sports programs are horrendous. 

54 minutes ago, Mrfootball88 said:

It's ridiculous to allow a small 1A charter school be zoned for the entire Memphis metro area.

Also, what does it say about a team with so much "talent" being unable to get out of the 1A quarterfinals? Sometimes the experts' ratings are wrong.