Wes Jones resigns from HVA wow

GIJoe

4 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

As far as I know he still teaches at Oak Ridge and coaches in KC. Teachers have coached at other schools for years and years now. Tenure is a thing of the past.  Tenure went away when the they introduced the TEAM eval model.   Long time teachers can have built up equity over the years, meaning they have been an established  good employee with good positive relationships with students, parents, cohorts, and admin.  And this equity can help out with job security, but tenure is a thing of the past.

I don't know how I quoted myself, oops lol.  

Edited by oridgecat

On 5/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, GIJoe said:

The timing it would seem easier to hire head coach already ob staff. Probably easiest transition at this time. The school Leaders peiority is on academics and the whole student body. Not that that's a bad thing we all know it's good but that mindset usually hire someone that has familiarity to keep school going same direction.

This discussion started off like a hurricane warning and now is a gentle summer shower. Any word on a decision?

14 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

This discussion started off like a hurricane warning and now is a gentle summer shower. Any word on a decision?

Don't see a decision for a while.  As I posted earlier, Knox County hiring rules and regs generally make the process a long one. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, GIJoe said:

In hearing DC has it. May lose a couple of coaches. That's was talk at track meet yesterday. 

Don't think that is true at all.  He may be a candidate, but the job posting is still open.  If it were done they could have closed the job posting by now and started the interview process.  

I've heard about a dozen names today who have, or will apply by the end of the week.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HTV said:

Don't think that is true at all.  He may be a candidate, but the job posting is still open.  If it were done they could have closed the job posting by now and started the interview process.  

I've heard about a dozen names today who have, or will apply by the end of the week.  

We all know when an in office hire is made.  But they have to put it out for a certain number of days.  I'm betting it is someone in house unless they refuse.  I'm hearing the DC but you could be right HTV.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, oridgecat said:

As far as I know he still teaches at Oak Ridge. Teachers have coached at other schools for years and years now. Tenure is a thing of the past.  Tenure went away when the they introduced the TEAM eval model.   Long time teachers can have built up equity over the years, meaning they have been an established  good employee with good positive relationships with students, parents, cohorts, and admin.  And this equity can help out with job security, but tenure is a thing of the past.

This is not true about tenure. If you were tenured under the old law prior to the TEAM model you still have the same tenure. And teachers who began teaching since the TEAM model came about can still get tenure they just have different requirements and can lose it much easier. But yes tenure does still exist. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

This is not true about tenure. If you were tenured under the old law prior to the TEAM model you still have the same tenure. And teachers who began teaching since the TEAM model came about can still get tenure they just have different requirements and can lose it much easier. But yes tenure does still exist. 

Tenure technically exists, but it's really paper-only for new teachers who started after TEAM.  That was one of the goals of TEAM when it was passed.  A friend of mine was in a teacher program when it went through and one of his professors explained to his class: "What this means it that none of you will ever have tenure.  You will all probably be fired at some point"

Teachers can technically get if they meet very specific requirements in years 4 and 5 of their teaching placement and are then approved by the school board, but that's rare.

Then they can lose it if they have a couple of years of bad scores (or if the subject they don't actually teach but are evaluated on has a couple of years of bad scores), so it's effectively meaningless.

All tenure means is that they are supposed to get an automatically renewed contract at the end of the year and receive due process if the board wants to let them go.  The administration can still do plenty of things to run off teachers by making their jobs miserable/impossible if they want to get rid of them.

Some districts have a policy of automatically firing any teacher who is up for tenure but does not receive it.  McMinn County, I think, fired their coach a few years ago over this.  They claimed it was a state law that they had to dismiss him if he was denied tenure, but it never was

Rumor has it that Nashville is working on a replacement for TEAM now that's designed to make tenure even harder, if not completely impossible, to get.  We'll see what happens.  They want teaching to be a short-term gig that people do for a couple of years after college and move on, which is basically the Teach For America model our lawmakers love.

Edited by BlueDevil58
  • Like 1