Wes Jones resigns from HVA wow

GIJoe

1 hour ago, GIJoe said:

We all know when an in office hire is made.  But they have to put it out for a certain number of days.  I'm betting it is someone in house unless they refuse.  I'm hearing the DC but you could be right HTV.

Oh, I have heard the same thing on the DC for about a week, now, but yesterday I was told that there may be a step back and start again coming.  Not saying that the DC is not going to end up being the guy when all is said and done, only that there were some "unexpected" names that applied and are going to be considered.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Tenure technically exists, but it's really paper-only for new teachers who started after TEAM.  That was one of the goals of TEAM when it was passed.  A friend of mine was in a teacher program when it went through and one of his professors explained to his class: "What this means it that none of you will ever have tenure.  You will all probably be fired at some point"

Teachers can technically get if they meet very specific requirements in years 4 and 5 of their teaching placement and are then approved by the school board, but that's rare.

Then they can lose it if they have a couple of years of bad scores (or if the subject they don't actually teach but are evaluated on has a couple of years of bad scores), so it's effectively meaningless.

All tenure means is that they are supposed to get an automatically renewed contract at the end of the year and receive due process if the board wants to let them go.  The administration can still do plenty of things to run off teachers by making their jobs miserable/impossible if they want to get rid of them.

Some districts have a policy of automatically firing any teacher who is up for tenure but does not receive it.  McMinn County, I think, fired their coach a few years ago over this.  They claimed it was a state law that they had to dismiss him if he was denied tenure, but it never was

Rumor has it that Nashville is working on a replacement for TEAM now that's designed to make tenure even harder, if not completely impossible, to get.  We'll see what happens.  They want teaching to be a short-term gig that people do for a couple of years after college and move on, which is basically the Teach For America model our lawmakers love.

I know all this. I have been a teacher and administrator for almost 20 years now. I only mentioned it because a previous poster said “it does not exist”. Which as you already know isn’t true. However I do want to state again that any teacher that gained tenure under the old law prior to the TEAM model still has tenure under that law and cannot be taken away because of evaluation scores. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I know all this. I have been a teacher and administrator for almost 20 years now. I only mentioned it because a previous poster said “it does not exist”. Which as you already know isn’t true. However I do want to state again that any teacher that gained tenure under the old law prior to the TEAM model still has tenure under that law and cannot be taken away because of evaluation scores. 

I wasn't implying that you didn't know it or directing that comment at you, so apologies if it came off that way.  I was simply elaborating more on what you said, as a response to the previous comment and to others on here who may be confused.

I see and hear so many weird and factually incorrect things from non-teachers and administrators about how easy teachers have it with tenure and guaranteed jobs for life.  That's just not the case anymore and hasn't been for some time.

Edited by BlueDevil58

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Can you lose your tenure for being on the T during school?  lol, just kidding BPM

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HTV said:

Oh, I have heard the same thing on the DC for about a week, now, but yesterday I was told that there may be a step back and start again coming.  Not saying that the DC is not going to end up being the guy when all is said and done, only that there were some "unexpected" names that applied and are going to be considered.  

Got it thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, HTV said:

Man, this train has stopped dead in it's tracks. It's almost off the first page. Keeps dropping lower and lower. It's five spots away from not being on the same page. Can HVA players transfer to another school if the don't get a coach soon. Seems players transfer for all kinds of reasons. Maybe Powell needs some more transfer players to sit the bench behind all of their All- Stars. Maybe they should go to BHS. I heard BHS is pitiful this year. It's closer than Powell and they won't sit the bench at BHS.                           What about all of the big time applicants for this job? Don't tell me they found out the cubbord is empty, player pool dried up, and coaching staff is falling apart. That's why Jones left anyway wasn't it?

• Like 1

Fulton principle is now the HVA principal. This in my opinion will be a game changer for HVA If he is allowed to do what's best for the athletics programs. The list of candidates that have been interviewed is somewhat underwhelming. I imagine that list will upgrade rapidly with the hire of Rob Speas. There is State Championship talent in Hardin Valley and with the right hire it could come to fruition. 

2 hours ago, OldandBusted said:

Fulton principle is now the HVA principal. This in my opinion will be a game changer for HVA If he is allowed to do what's best for the athletics programs. The list of candidates that have been interviewed is somewhat underwhelming. I imagine that list will upgrade rapidly with the hire of Rob Speas. There is State Championship talent in Hardin Valley and with the right hire it could come to fruition. 

I was told last night by one of the candidates that the interviews will begin next week.  

And I couldn't disagree more about HVA having state championship level talent at this point.  They are nowhere near Farragut/Blackman level, much less Maryville/Oakland/Whitehaven  level. 

There is  good athletic ability in the school, but much of it plays only one sport, and that isn't football.  And that's not going to change. 

And I don't know what list you are looking at, but the actual list is as strong as any in Knox County has been in years.