Wes Jones resigns from HVA wow

GIJoe

17 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Fulton priorities and tradition and other factors are no where comparable to HVA priorities, tradition, factors, etc. Not an excuse, just the way of the world in Knox County football and other sports.

Oh, I disagree 110%.  Fulton and HVA are two totally different communities, but the goals are the same - educate the young folks and prepare them for what comes in the next stages of their lives.  Appreciate your passion, but let's not get on a holier than thou path, here.  

Farragut is a West Knoxville school with an upper income level demographic. They have a state football championship in their trophy case, and let's not even begin to count the baseball championships.  

Bearden just won a basketball championship in AAA, for goodness sakes.  And basketball is supposed to be a sport dominted by inner city Memphis schools that that level. 

Edited by HTV

14 minutes ago, HTV said:

Oh, I disagree 110%.  Fulton and HVA are two totally different communities, but the goals are the same - educate the young folks and prepare them for what comes in the next stages of their lives.  Appreciate your passion, but let's not get on a holier than thou path, here.  

Farragut is a West Knoxville school with an upper income level demographic. They have a state football championship in their trophy case, and let's not even begin to count the baseball championships.  

Bearden just won a basketball championship in AAA, for goodness sakes.  And basketball is supposed to be a sport dominted by inner city Memphis schools that that level. 

Not all of those BHS basketball players are BHS kids. Farragut football championship will always have an asterisk by it.  Basketball does not need the players football does. BHS basketball tradition and history is better than it's football success. Extremely hard to equate baseball success to football success. I see the reasoning but that formula will never be equal to the formula that the traditional football power houses have for their consistent success.

22 minutes ago, HTV said:

I don't think you can compare HVA academics to Fulton academics. Not the success but the goals. Two totally different scarinos. The sports goals are totally different also.

4 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Not all of those BHS basketball players are BHS kids. Farragut football championship will always have an asterisk by it.  Basketball does not need the players football does. BHS basketball tradition and history is better than it's football success. Extremely hard to equate baseball success to football success. I see the reasoning but that formula will never be equal to the formula that the traditional football power houses have for their consistent success.

And not all of the athletes at HVA are zoned HVA, either.  Every football program in Knox County has it's share of out of zone transfers.  Every one of them.  

25 minutes ago, HTV said:

Do you think the Fulton principal went to HVA to bring the sports/athletic teams more  championshis or to make more money/change his environment?

10 minutes ago, HTV said:

And not all of the athletes at HVA are zoned HVA, either.  Every football program in Knox County has it's share of out of zone transfers.  Every one of them.  

It is what it is. There are transfers. The key question is why. Transfers are not supposed to be for athletic reasons. Many ruled ineligible for that reason. And the number of transfers for that reason more often than not equals sports/athletic success as compared to transfers for educational/other reasons. Just make sure those transfers stay happy or they are on the move again. Just not what l think Knox County Administration designed transfers for. Wouldn't it be great if Knox County would put out a list of all of the numbers, not individuals names of what schools/ teams have the most transfer players in each sport. I think then most people would really see what is going on. I don't think it would change anyones mind. But it would be interesting.

2 hours ago, bonkers said:

I must be making this harder than it really is. If "the wildcats know him really well", then I assume he coaches for OR, and RG is some kind of code since I looked at the program from last year and there's no coach with those initials. I guess I'm the only guy around who has no idea who this could be. I'll ask a friend who may know, and try to get this mystery solved.

I don’t know why you can’t just say Ron Gray’s name. Everyone else gets named on here. 

Don't mean to jump in but HVA has never seemed like a football school to me since the beginning. The whole setup with the football field seems like track and soccer were more of a priority than what pays the bills for those two sports. Who would set the home side looking right into the blinding sun and the closest seat to the sideline would be 85 feet from the 1st row in the stands. Promise you the dingleberry that drew that plan up couldn't have ever played football before. I'm pretty sure any schools that has to go there for a game has to dread that everytime they look at the schedule. Worst away seating of any school in the entire TSSAA and then the nightmare traffic jam to get out of the place. Thank goodness for Pilot stepping in and covering that horrible scorched earth of a football field up with some decent looking carpet. It looked like the farm Mr. Haney sold the Douglass's on Green Acres. Sure glad we don't have to go there in the near future.

A lot of turnover at HVA, Jones leaves and goes to SH. Dykes leaves and goes to Cocke Co and takes a great assistant with him(congrats Coach Howard :thumb:). Ultimately tho I called it and I believe they got it right by hiring Mike Potter. Great man and coach. If they can produce more this year on offense, Hardin Valley could surprise some people.

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Don't mean to jump in but HVA has never seemed like a football school to me since the beginning. The whole setup with the football field seems like track and soccer were more of a priority than what pays the bills for those two sports. Who would set the home side looking right into the blinding sun and the closest seat to the sideline would be 85 feet from the 1st row in the stands. Promise you the dingleberry that drew that plan up couldn't have ever played football before. I'm pretty sure any schools that has to go there for a game has to dread that everytime they look at the schedule. Worst away seating of any school in the entire TSSAA and then the nightmare traffic jam to get out of the place. Thank goodness for Pilot stepping in and covering that horrible scorched earth of a football field up with some decent looking carpet. It looked like the farm Mr. Haney sold the Douglass's on Green Acres. Sure glad we don't have to go there in the near future.

It is a bad field alignment, for sure. If I remember correctly, a football field was not even in the original plans for building the school. That was squeezed in as an after thought due to some clamoring. Of course I can also remember that several schools were built without a stadium. Some had a field but were used only for practice as the stadiums had to be built later after having fund raisers.

17 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

IF THEY GO TO BHS (Bearden), they are BHS KIDS!

18 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

What do you mean the BHS players aren't BHS kids? What is the asterisk next to Farragut's state championship?