Wes Jones resigns from HVA wow

GIJoe

Would like to say thanks Coach Jones for starting and leading our program. You will be missed on football field and dang sure on track. You know I'm a track homer and my grandkids loved you. Good luck to you and your beautiful (lively) family. Passionate, Loyal and Committed are the 3 words that describe you. Thanks for you service... You will be missed.

The timing of this really puts HVA and the next coach in tough spot, unless they hire an interim that's already on staff and they don't try to install new offensive and defensive schemes.  If whoever comes in decides to change everything they will really struggle this season.   

Wes Jones was a solid coach and did a good job at HVA. He also assembled a good staff, one which I believe the next hire should come from. I believe DC Mike Potter should be given a shot as HC and I believe it would be the best thing at this point in time for the program. Too late in the game to go hire a new coach who may also bring a new staff. Familiarity is what the program needs right now.

8 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Wes Jones was a solid coach and did a good job at HVA. He also assembled a good staff, one which I believe the next hire should come from. I believe DC Mike Potter should be given a shot as HC and I believe it would be the best thing at this point in time for the program. Too late in the game to go hire a new coach who may also bring a new staff. Familiarity is what the program needs right now.

Your most certainly right, promote someone on the staff and keep the show going. If they name an interim it just allows rumors and turmoil to circulate which is no good for the team, staff and fans.

They are going to have to hustle if they are going to beat the Knox Couty Schools deadline.  

The history of hiring football coaches in Knox County is that it is typically a 6-8 week process.  There are requirements in place that have to be checked off one by one, and that just takes time.  With school ending in what, two weeks, that's likely going to slow things down and I believe there is some time when the school offices and central office are closed at school year's end as well.  

There is a drop dead date in the summer, and those involved directly in the system might be able to shed more light on it than I what that date is.  Those dates tend to change year by year.  But in any event, if a hire is not made by that date then an interim will likely have to be named and then a full search done at the end of the 2019 season.  I remember that being the case in similar situations a couple of times over the last decde or so.  

The timing it would seem easier to hire head coach already ob staff. Probably easiest transition at this time. The school Leaders peiority is on academics and the whole student body. Not that that's a bad thing we all know it's good but that mindset usually hire someone that has familiarity to keep school going same direction.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:34 AM, chsbobcat09 said:

Head Coaches in Knox County can't "bring in a new staff".  It all has to do with teaching positions open within the school.  New Coaches in Knox County are lucky to get 1 or 2 of their own guys in place.  

Edited by oridgecat

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Head Coaches in Knox County can't "bring in a new staff".  It all has to do with teaching positions open within the school.  New Coaches in Knox County are lucky to get 1 or 2 of their own guys in place.  

Partially true. 

How many they can get in the building as teachers is totally dependent on what open teaching positions there are.  

But they can hire coaches who teach at other schools as assistants, and as long as they have tenute there isn't anything that the school they teach in can do about it.  Teaching and coaching are two totally different positions.  You'd be surprised how many assistant coaches in Knox County teach at schools other than were they coach.  Example close to you - how many years did Ron Gray teach at Oak Ridge and coach at different Knox County schools?  

As far as I know he still teaches at Oak Ridge. Teachers have coached at other schools for years and years now. Tenure is a thing of the past.  Tenure went away when the they introduced the TEAM eval model.   Long time teachers can have built up equity over the years, meaning they have been an established  good employee with good positive relationships with students, parents, cohorts, and admin.  And this equity can help out with job security, but tenure is a thing of the past.