FORREST | CORNERSVILLE | GORDONSVILLE

All 3 teams were about equal in my view. Some "good", some "need to work on". Forrest was missing their starting QB and several other starters due to baseball. I assume the other 2 teams were missing kids also. 

Good

• Only Cornersville's 1st team offense scored (in the first series of back and forths only, G'ville scored later in the evening), on Gordonsville. Forrest and Gordonsville's offenses moved the ball, but neither were able to score. 
  • Forrest's JV was clearly the best, scoring on both C'ville and G'ville. Which surprised me. 
  • Gordonsville's offense definitely started rolling as the scrimmage went on, exclusively against C'ville's D. 2-3 very good, quick athletes. Scored a couple times on C'Ville. 
  • C'ville lost some people but they looked to still be quality. I def expect them to be a playoff team. They have the mentality now. 
  • Forrest 1st team D gave up a big gainer to C'Ville, but were able to hold them out of the endzone. G'ville never scored on Forrest 1st team D either. 

Not Good

• Forrest's 1st team offense sat for almost an hour as various groupings ran on and off. They finally got a red zone possession late against C'ville's 1st team D, and proceeded to have the worst 4-5 plays I've ever seen called OR executed in the history of mankind. Instead of coming in fresh they were as stale as month old tortilla chips where they get chewy.

Based on results, Gordonsville had the best 1st team offense, and Forrest had the best 1st team defense. 

1st team Offense ranking

1. Gordonsville

2. Cornersville

3. Forrest 

1st team defense ranking

1. Forrest

2. Cornersville

3. Gordonsville 

JV ranking

1. Forrest 

2. Cornersville/Gordonsville (tie)

Thanks to everyone. 3 good teams. Nice fans. Hope you enjoyed the Mexican. Have a safe Spring and Summer.  

Forrest offensive system is still not working. Too long to develop pass plays and poor run blocking. For example. Gordonsville was having kids run to the gaps in the zone and that QB was zipping the ball to them quick.  Was fun to watch. C'Ville, even without some of the studs, runs a system like a machine. Forrest offense resembles a pile of dirty clothes slowly falling off the edge of a couch. Painful to watch, and messy. 

#9 for Forrest is a senior and I'd be wearing that kid out with short and long routes. I'd also have the top 6-7 kids in general ONLY touching the ball. 6, 3, 12, 35, 8, 9, and starting QB who was out, can't remember his #. 

But #9 is just usually running a route, ignored. It's almost criminal. 

Coach Stacey was loud and active after a quiet 2018. Good to see and hear him/ He knows football. Eli was arms folded sort of shuffling around. It's difficult to have any confidence in his leadership, but I am trying. 

• Like 1

Great analysis. Cornersville returned one starter on offense(left tackle) and two on defense(two DT) and one was injured for the scrimmage. I think there are a couple still playing baseball. There were also several that were injured that will play a big role come fall. All three teams should make the playoffs, how deep they go is yet to be seen. Best of luck to all three.

Forrest will benefit from a much easier Region 5. No Columbia Academy, and Lewis Co and Eagleville should be down. Summertown, Loretto, and Community will be their usual win. Lewis Co is at Chapel Hill the final week of the regular season. 

Non region games are Cascade, a win, East Robertson, a win, Moore Co, a win, then two challenging games against 4A schools, both at home.  Portland and Lawrence Co. 

They have a CHANCE TO WIN EVERY GAME. But they gotta get things fixed up front. And in my view, simplify the offense to get these senior playmakers the ball in stride.  

Looked like three evenly matched teams in a spring scrimmage. All three defenses were way ahead of their offenses which is what you expect after a handful of practices. All three teams could walk out with some positives and all three left with things to work on. In a real game it would be a toss up coming down to coaching, preparation, turnovers, and penalties.

Due to an early injury and baseball Forrest had to play 80% of the snaps with the 3rd team QB.  An 8th grader who hasn't taken a meaningful snap since 6th grade (more on that later). Forrest was missing the likely starting QB and one of their best overall players because of baseball.  A few other players could give some depth at DB or WR. 

After getting manhandled last May by Moore County in the scrimmage and having their head coach resign a few days later, Forrest can enter the summer workouts with more optimism this year. They were able to hold their own against two highly ranked 1A schools.

Gordonsville:

The good: QB - if you have 4 years left with this guy the outlook is great. Good arm, dual threat QB who looked like a mature junior or senior on the field. Offensive and defensive line has good size and controlled the LOS. #10 - solid WR/DB that made plays and the coaches made an effort to get him the ball. 

The bad: Center/ QB exchange. Snaps were terrible 2 out of 3 were at the QB's ankles. Snaps really messed with the timing of the offense. RB's didn't run hard after the first series. Team speed. With the exception of #3 and 10 they looked to be the slowest team on the field. 

Edited by Salem
  • Like 1

Cornersville: 

The good: While no where near as good as the 2018 Bulldogs this team can be as good as the 2017 version and pull some home playoff upsets. The new QB is a playmaker with his arm and legs. #33 is a shifty WR that makes plays. They have a committee of hard running backs and sound defense. Coaching is top notch with well disciplined players.

The bad: Center/QB shotgun snaps were worse than Gordonsville.  Lack of explosive running backs this year will mean less big plays and the need for more sustained drives. 

• Like 1