Coach Bray resigns at Cookeville

UTRok

15 minutes ago, UTRok said:

Herald Citizen tweet.

Search complete.. Josh Heard is reportedly the new Cookeville boys hoop Coach

That’s what the rumors have been for a while.  Hopefully he can get the community and players on board quick.   Already lost our best player to a transfer  so he has some work to do.

Garret supposedly transferring to Webb.   Coach Heard mentioned it in the interview with Upper Cumberland Reporter on Facebook.  Just didn't mention a name.  We are also losing some other players who supposedly are not returning to the team.  Maybe a new coach will resolve that but I know one likely starter didn't play travel ball this year and told Bray he wasn't playing.    I believe that one could be resolved over the summer but its a mess right now and I hate it for the players that are still there.  They have won ALOT of games and beat several teams they shouldn't have.    I just want to see them succeed.  And I wish Alex the best too.  He is a GREAT player.   His decision was made based on previous coaching staff and I am not sure that he can change his mind or that he wants to change his mind.  But I look forward to seeing them on a fresh start with a new staff and new style of play.  

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure that the "game passed Coach Bray by".  He has been and is a very good coach.  That being said, I do think CHS hit a homerun with the Coach Josh Heard as the coach... truly cares about Cookeville community and will do a fine job there.  I hope the political side of it all will allow him to coach and build the team his way.  It may take some time to implement his culture and standards... but given enough time, it will happen.  Best wishes, Coach Heard. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 9:55 PM, LadyCavsFan said:

I never said they were ever CHS players.  I said CHS would need to keep the better players in Cookeville for things to change.   But your point on the number of PMS players going to UHS is exactly what I am talking about.  That can’t happen and CHS be a state power.   There were lots of reasons that happened.  Maybe new coach will change all of that.  

And the reason they don’t play currently probably has more to do with the girls team.  I am sure the girls team would have loved to have played Cookeville 15-17 with Levy!  And I am sure Cookeville wanted no part of that.  Hopefully they can work things out and make it happen.  Would be a crazy environment for both schools.  Again maybe new coach will help.  Good luck this year.

Why would Upperman want to play CHS? I mean the only game Cookeville brings any fans to is the White County game. Other than that game there is only parents and a few students attending. So Upperman would lose a good gate and for the most part the only game worth watching would be the boys game. Upperman girls would dominate 90% of the time.  They’d be better off playing a home and home with Clay County or Pickett County. Both teams would bring a much bigger gate and year in and year out there would be two competitive games. 

26 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Why would Upperman want to play CHS? I mean the only game Cookeville brings any fans to is the White County game. Other than that game there is only parents and a few students attending. So Upperman would lose a good gate and for the most part the only game worth watching would be the boys game. Upperman girls would dominate 90% of the time.  They’d be better off playing a home and home with Clay County or Pickett County. Both teams would bring a much bigger gate and year in and year out there would be two competitive games. 

I didn’t say UHS wanted to play CHS.  I said they don’t want the game.  And it has nothing to do with attendance.  That game would be packed year in and year out.  The fans want that game.  The players want that game.  The coaches not so much.  We will see what happens. And predictions like “90% of the time” are exactly why I want the game.  But really there is nothing to talk about until they agree to play the game.   

9 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I didn’t say UHS wanted to play CHS.  I said they don’t want the game.  And it has nothing to do with attendance.  That game would be packed year in and year out.  The fans want that game.  The players want that game.  The coaches not so much.  We will see what happens. And predictions like “90% of the time” are exactly why I want the game.  But really there is nothing to talk about until they agree to play the game.   

I think the girls head coach for Cookeville is doing a great job from the times I’ve watched them play and I have no doubt Coach Herd will get the most out of his players as well. But until they find a way to win a region tournament and against AAA teams and not pat their schedules with Class A teams I’ll withhold judgement. 

23 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

I think the girls head coach for Cookeville is doing a great job from the times I’ve watched them play and I have no doubt Coach Herd will get the most out of his players as well. But until they find a way to win a region tournament and against AAA teams and not pat their schedules with Class A teams I’ll withhold judgement. 

Please look at Cookeville's schedule and tell me where it is "patted" with Class A teams?  In fact, there is not a single Class A team on it this year. Last year there was a home and home with Jackson Co which is no more apparently. 

As LadyCavsFan said above, you are wrong if you think the gate wouldn't be outstanding for Upperman/CHS at both places.  Even more so now with the little rivalry that football has generated in the recent years.  

18 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

Please look at Cookeville's schedule and tell me where it is "patted" with Class A teams?  In fact, there is not a single Class A team on it this year. Last year there was a home and home with Jackson Co which is no more apparently. 

As LadyCavsFan said above, you are wrong if you think the gate wouldn't be outstanding for Upperman/CHS at both places.  Even more so now with the little rivalry that football has generated in the recent years.  

The gate would be good because of Upperman fans mostly. I’ve been around a long time and the only time I’ve ever seen any amount of fans in the stands at a CHS basketball game is when they play White County. Now I’m sure this game would bring more fans in than normal for a CHS home game, however when the venue changes to Upperman high school there would be little support. I do think it would be good though from a basketball perspective and I would absolutely attend. Upperman would win both games this year imo both the girls and the boys. 

4 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

The gate would be good because of Upperman fans mostly. I’ve been around a long time and the only time I’ve ever seen any amount of fans in the stands at a CHS basketball game is when they play White County. Now I’m sure this game would bring more fans in than normal for a CHS home game, however when the venue changes to Upperman high school there would be little support. I do think it would be good though from a basketball perspective and I would absolutely attend. Upperman would win both games this year imo both the girls and the boys. 

Guess we disagree on alot then, ...whats new? 

I actually think it would be the other way around on the outcome of the games, but I guess we will never know.  

1 minute ago, Alumn89 said:

Guess we disagree on alot then, ...whats new? 

I actually think it would be the other way around on the outcome of the games, but I guess we will never know.  

Of course you do as you should since you’re an alumni. It’s ok to disagree :) one thing we do agree on is this game needs to be played!

• Like 1