Knocking the dust off this board

ReitzFan

Think BGA has to be considered the favorite going in even with the coaching change. ECS should be right there too with how much they return. Can’t count out CPA or Lausanne due to what they’ve shown, though I think everyone expects both to take a step back considering everything they lost. Not sure how Norte Dame stacks up this year but they have been one of the tougher teams in division since they came over from the publics. 

Any other teams out there that could step up and surprise? 

On 7/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, Booger said:

BGA want be damage too much because of that coach loss...and yes they are kinda wouldnt ducks in the trenches..but they will have the best defensive core in the league....at least in the back...especially with that one comitted to play at NW ND's one and only Sam Stovall...they came and took our DC away from the Irish......Booger thinkin BGA has the upper hand on you presbyterians by a hair....yall are well coach tho

Booger just sayin:thumb:

So BGA hired the last DC that beat CPA? Makes sense given CPA has put up over 500 yards of offense each game in 3 meetings since joining D2.

They are pretty fired up to beat us in something. I think their record is something like 3-25 against CPA sports teams since we joined D2... Quite a few season ending loses to the purple. It feels like this is becoming a pretty big rivalry. It'll be fun to watch, hopefully...

But, have you ever seen CPA lose to a passing team? I can only remember Amari Rogers and Knox Catholic in 2016, I think. BGA can be all world in the defensive backfield, but if CPA can run the ball up the middle for 7-10 yards each attempt, well...

On 6/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, ReitzFan said:

Yes, usj did drop down from division 2 AA to D 2 A. They had a drop of a fraction of a percentage point over 20% thus allowing them to petition to drop in class. If my calculations are correct that fraction of a percentage equals out to about three or four students. But if you look at the roster for this year I will be willing to bet that there isn't a 20 percent drop in the number of athletes participating. Nothing illegal but it is working the numbers in every which way to their advantage. Just shaking the bush boss.

I forgot USJ dropped. A little gasoline was added to those rivalries between the Private Schools in Jackson 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, Titanmike said:

Friendship will be down this year compared to the last two.  In fact most of the normal top teams in this division are down.  This is a perfect year for one of the new schools like TCA, USJ or CA to take the gold.  I also see NCS being better as well. 

USJ will be a better team this year, whether they have better talent or not. I have zero doubt about the quality of coaching and preparation there, but I did sort of forget about Columbia Academy. I wrote them off because of their move to DII (as far as keeping up with their returning team), but they were a brutal, physical, and talented team last season... with a slightly above average QB running their team at the end, they would have been trouble for most anyone in DIA or DIAA.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, BreadTruck28 said:

So BGA hired the last DC that beat CPA? Makes sense given CPA has put up over 500 yards of offense each game in 3 meetings since joining D2.

They are pretty fired up to beat us in something. I think their record is something like 3-25 against CPA sports teams since we joined D2... Quite a few season ending loses to the purple. It feels like this is becoming a pretty big rivalry. It'll be fun to watch, hopefully...

But, have you ever seen CPA lose to a passing team? I can only remember Amari Rogers and Knox Catholic in 2016, I think. BGA can be all world in the defensive backfield, but if CPA can run the ball up the middle for 7-10 yards each attempt, well...

incorrecto mondo there BT28.......the last DC to beat you presbyterians is not at BGA.....he retreaded back as HC at Central Harrison to try his hand at trying to run the single wing for one year.......the same DC that beat Haslam School of Knoxville with a base goal line defense all night and shut that speedster Howard feller down to less than 70 yards in our first meeting in 2017.......our DC last season that BGA hired away from the Irish as the OL guru came to us from the HC spot out St George.......Carter made 3 showins at the championship dance with the Gryphons and St George sends him to Vermont Avenue for a year...figure that.......Fant once again loses his DC and OC inb the same off season.....

.......this is what most amateurs dont understand bout Fant and the Irish........in 2010 the Irish as it had many times thruout history won ONLY its first game of the year gainst a newly formed Baptist squad of Grace Christian.....the next year Fant gets hired away from that Church of God school Boyd Buchannon over at the North Brainerd Levee swamp where Fant was a long time OC to become Irishs OC where he breaks some points scored record at Vermont Ave......after his first season as Irish OC he is hired to become HC of ND

....since that date of hire in 2012 .....the dude has averaged 10 wins a season in 3 divisions losing his OC and DC in over half of those years....winning 10 games in one year after losin 5 coaches off his staff...

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

13 hours ago, tradertwo said:

USJ will be a better team this year, whether they have better talent or not. I have zero doubt about the quality of coaching and preparation there, but I did sort of forget about Columbia Academy. I wrote them off because of their move to DII (as far as keeping up with their returning team), but they were a brutal, physical, and talented team last season... with a slightly above average QB running their team at the end, they would have been trouble for most anyone in DIA or DIAA.

Of course, barring major injuries, usj will be better. I would expect a better record when teams such as ECS, Lausanne, and Harding Academy are replaced on the schedule with teams such as tipton-rosemark and Clarksville Academy. However, if usj thinks it is going to be easier this year because they're dropping from D2AA to D2A, they have another thing coming. The Western Division of Class A will be a gauntlet considering you have Nashville Christian, Columbia Academy, and the defending state champion Davidson Academy team to run through. And you had better not forget about Fayette Academy which was a team that made it to the final four last year. Sure they lost some Talent from last year, but they still have the talented quarterback Rube Scott Rhea who will beat you with his arm and his feet. Class A in the east will have Friendship Christian and Middle Tennessee Christian as the brutes from that side of the state. I do not believe, unlike some of these states football gurus, that usj will be a legitimate contender for the class a title. Of course I also wonder what berries may fall and hit the ground if that Bruin bush is shaking hard enough! Shake shake shake

4 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Of course, barring major injuries, usj will be better. I would expect a better record when teams such as ECS, Lausanne, and Harding Academy are replaced on the schedule with teams such as tipton-rosemark and Clarksville Academy. However, if usj thinks it is going to be easier this year because they're dropping from D2AA to D2A, they have another thing coming. The Western Division of Class A will be a gauntlet considering you have Nashville Christian, Columbia Academy, and the defending state champion Davidson Academy team to run through. And you had better not forget about Fayette Academy which was a team that made it to the final four last year. Sure they lost some Talent from last year, but they still have the talented quarterback Rube Scott Rhea who will beat you with his arm and his feet. Class A in the east will have Friendship Christian and Middle Tennessee Christian as the brutes from that side of the state. I do not believe, unlike some of these states football gurus, that usj will be a legitimate contender for the class a title. Of course I also wonder what berries may fall and hit the ground if that Bruin bush is shaking hard enough! Shake shake shake

Didn't mean to imply anything about wins/losses, just that they will be a better team after a full season (and off season) under the tutelage of Stroup and Browder. I've seen first hand what those two can do with enough time for the kids to "buy in" to the things that matter in their development... as cliche' as it sounds, it starts at the bottom with respect, responsibility, and trust... football comes along after the foundation is laid. At Scotts Hill that took a couple of games into their second season to see on the field, and I still remember the game, which we lost by the way. It didn't manifest on the scoreboard, but the way that they carried themselves and fought until the end never reverted back afterward, and the steady progression carried us from doormat and butt of good natured jokes to being (IMHO) one of the top five or six teams in 2AA. There may be factors in place at USJ that impede the coaches from accomplishing what they're capable of, and I don't pretend to know the situation there... I will say that if they have the freedom to run the program as they wish, and the support of everyone involved with it, that success will come in due time.

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Didn't mean to imply anything about wins/losses, just that they will be a better team after a full season (and off season) under the tutelage of Stroup and Browder. I've seen first hand what those two can do with enough time for the kids to "buy in" to the things that matter in their development... as cliche' as it sounds, it starts at the bottom with respect, responsibility, and trust... football comes along after the foundation is laid. At Scotts Hill that took a couple of games into their second season to see on the field, and I still remember the game, which we lost by the way. It didn't manifest on the scoreboard, but the way that they carried themselves and fought until the end never reverted back afterward, and the steady progression carried us from doormat and butt of good natured jokes to being (IMHO) one of the top five or six teams in 2AA. There may be factors in place at USJ that impede the coaches from accomplishing what they're capable of, and I don't pretend to know the situation there... I will say that if they have the freedom to run the program as they wish, and the support of everyone involved with it, that success will come in due time.

They won't be able to run the program the way they want. They will have to run the program the way the boosters want.

Shake shake shake

Edited by ReitzFan

On 8/1/2019 at 2:09 AM, ReitzFan said:

They won't be able to run the program the way they want. They will have to run the program the way the boosters want.

Shake shake shake

I'm hoping the current staff can turn it around, but it's doubtful. There just haven't been any indications to show otherwise in two seasons already. Yes, the boosters are a thing, but when you lose people will always stick their noses around. That's true of any job. 

I also agree with the others about their schedule. There are some good teams in this region. USJ won't be able to just line up and mow these teams.

3 hours ago, Kublah said:

I'm hoping the current staff can turn it around, but it's doubtful. There just haven't been any indications to show otherwise in two seasons already. Yes, the boosters are a thing, but when you lose people will always stick their noses around. That's true of any job. 

I also agree with the others about their schedule. There are some good teams in this region. USJ won't be able to just line up and mow these teams.

Marley is one of the most accomplished, decorated and respected coaches in Tn., and USJ ran him off... Bradley did the (almost) impossible at CAK and took down mighty Alcoa with his offensive wizardry to attract the attention of the USJ administration, and as soon as he became aware of the "environment" there, he left like a scalded cat at the earliest opportunity. All that Stroup did to catch USJ's eye as an up and coming great coach was transform a "new" and terrible team into a threat to beat anyone in our classification within three short years, knocked the undefeated and #1 ranked team out of the playoffs, reached the state quarterfinals, and was voted West Tn. Coach Of The Year. For you to resort to labeling them losers as for the reason a few entitled boosters want influence and control over the football program is ridiculous.

USJ has bought and paid for their previous lessons with Marley and Bradley... they should at least try and learn something from them, and let Stroup fail or succeed all on his own... they have nothing to lose but success.