Reggie Grimes to Ravenwood

3 hours ago, TeeterTot said:

If there was open zoning like Maryville and Alcoa, this would not be an issue.

You are wrong

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

Williamson County and Wilson County are both open zoning in the eyes of the TSSAA so i don't see your point

You are correct

2 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Swipes is correct. I believe they currently live in Davidson County. So he "open zoned" his way to MJ. I bet he didn't even have to pay tuition like Maryville and Alcoa kids do.  

I think you are also correct

2 hours ago, MLREB said:

Educating yourself is typically a good idea prior to commenting, otherwise you look pretty stupid. 

You are really, really correct

3 hours ago, TeeterTot said:

If there was open zoning like Maryville and Alcoa, this would not be an issue.

Actually, the kids would still be ineligible at any "open zone" school, as well.  And Maryville and Alcoa aren't "open zoned" schools, by the way.  They have zone boundries.  They simply can take out of zone students who opt to pay a tuition if the school is not at capacity.  

Unless one moves in the zone, once a student has established an athletic record as a 9th grader or beyond, if they don't pysically and legitimately move in to a new zone or get a legitimate hardship exception from the TSSAA, they have to sit 12 months before being eligible to play varsity sports.  They can play at the freshman or JV levels.  

But nice try at taking a shot, however.  But your shot missed badly.  

After the thousands of remarks, hundreds of accusations, and dozens of threads about TSSAA transfer/eligibility rules, you'd think that everyone would know that individual school zoning has nothing to do with TSSAA. Those zones are parameters set and policed by Boards of Education for each respective school and may be modified in any way, at any time the board see's fit. 

So the father was not a certified teacher at MJ, but the kids can go to the school and live out of zone?  Not blaming the dad, I would take advantage of whatever the powers that be in Wilson Co. let me get away with all in the name of winning a few more football or basketball games.  My question would be does the janitor get the same privileges?  Does the lunch lady?  No.  Yes I get it that Wilson Co. is open zoning but only if the school is below capacity which MJ is not.  And you have to at least live in the county, remember it is our property taxes that pay for a big chunk of schools.   It is amazing how many kids Mj has gotten in their school in the past few years that do not live in their zone, and all of them are athletes.  No band kids, no FFA kids,  If you call MJ and tell them you have a kid in the Walter J. Baird middle school band who wants to play in MJ band but you live in Lebanon zone they tell you that you have to move, but if you have a kid who is a good basketball (girls and boys), football, or baseball/softball player they suddenly have room for you.  I get it that a good athletic program is good for the overall health of a school, but what about those kids who have worked their way through middle school and played jv and now  as a junior or senior you are getting replaced by some kid who does not even live in your school zone?  Something is wrong about that, we are putting way too much emphasis on sports and it has gotten out of hand.  This is an extracurricular activity we are talking about.  

1 hour ago, delrod said:

So the father was not a certified teacher at MJ, but the kids can go to the school and live out of zone?  Not blaming the dad, I would take advantage of whatever the powers that be in Wilson Co. let me get away with all in the name of winning a few more football or basketball games.  My question would be does the janitor get the same privileges?  Does the lunch lady?  No.  Yes I get it that Wilson Co. is open zoning but only if the school is below capacity which MJ is not.  And you have to at least live in the county, remember it is our property taxes that pay for a big chunk of schools.   It is amazing how many kids Mj has gotten in their school in the past few years that do not live in their zone, and all of them are athletes.  No band kids, no FFA kids,  If you call MJ and tell them you have a kid in the Walter J. Baird middle school band who wants to play in MJ band but you live in Lebanon zone they tell you that you have to move, but if you have a kid who is a good basketball (girls and boys), football, or baseball/softball player they suddenly have room for you.  I get it that a good athletic program is good for the overall health of a school, but what about those kids who have worked their way through middle school and played jv and now  as a junior or senior you are getting replaced by some kid who does not even live in your school zone?  Something is wrong about that, we are putting way too much emphasis on sports and it has gotten out of hand.  This is an extracurricular activity we are talking about.  

It generates a lot of revenue.  

3 hours ago, delrod said:

Can we all say somebody is about to get a large dose of 'sports reality'?

Facts are RECRUITING happens both in Privates and Publics.  Some are just more blatant than others.

Then you have the MASTERS of it .....................like Rankin.   LOL

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Can we all say somebody is about to get a large dose of 'sports reality'?

Facts are RECRUITING happens both in Privates and Publics.  Some are just more blatant than others.

Then you have the MASTERS of it .....................like Rankin.   LOL

He picked up one from Sevier County.