Reggie Grimes to Ravenwood

On 6/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, HTV said:

Can't do that and be eligible.  Has to be a legit move and proof that the primary family residence has changed an it has to stay the same for the duration of eligiblity.  

What about the player for Powell that transfered from Central and then went to Alabama. They had two residences in Knoxville. He should have been ineligible.

20 hours ago, cbg said:

Ladies and Gents I am telling you the longer this stuff goes on the more likely the kid will end up at a boarding school like IMG.  Remember IMG does not have to follow ANY financial aid rules and can basically do as they wish with regards to providing financial assistance.  The financial assistance rules for IMG are not even close to being strict like they are for the private schools in Tennessee.  

You are forgetting this is not about the kid, this is about the dad getting a job using his son.

7 hours ago, longtimeretired said:

You are forgetting this is not about the kid, this is about the dad getting a job using his son.

Depends on whose perspective you are speaking from. While the ultimate moral problem here is the dad using the kid, the TSSAA won’t care about that they will just look at is the kid eligible and did he and the parents follow all the rules to gain eligibility. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, BigTime1950 said:

What about the player for Powell that transfered from Central and then went to Alabama. They had two residences in Knoxville. He should have been ineligible.

Nope. You are talking about one I am very familiar with. The Hubers moved in to a condo in the Powell zone and had their Sterchi Hills house on the market.  Mrs Huber couldn't even continue to run her business out of that house.  

Baron and my son were close and were team mates at Powell.  Baron spent a lot of time in my home. Don't try to tell me how that went down. I know the Paul Harvey on that one. 

Edited by HTV

HTV,

Did the Hubers home in Sterchi Hills ever sell?  I also remember a former UT coach having a son that transferred from Powell to Central.  

Can't remember the player's name but he started at Carter, then transferred to Central, eventually wound up at Anderson Co.,  signed with Bama, Dad owned a furniture store, and had there home in Carter's zone up for sale and kept moving into apartments in different zones.  He might have been at Oak Ridge between Central and ACHS.

Did Josh Lewis live in Powell's zone?

I am positive about this next statement because I stood on the steps leading down to the track at HHS and heard the entire conversation; Police officer asked if I had seen  a certain head coach that morning (spring county wide elementary school field day) and I told the officer he was in our fieldhouse changing clothes.  When coach came out the officer told coach he appreciated everything that coach was trying to do for his son, but he had decided to go to Central where he could play with his friends, instead of Powell to play football.  CG were the officer and the players initials.  I darn near fell over the railing when I looked at the coach and his expression at the officer's comments with me standing right there.  

3 hours ago, sheppy said:

HTV,

Did the Hubers home in Sterchi Hills ever sell?  I also remember a former UT coach having a son that transferred from Powell to Central.  

Can't remember the player's name but he started at Carter, then transferred to Central, eventually wound up at Anderson Co.,  signed with Bama, Dad owned a furniture store, and had there home in Carter's zone up for sale and kept moving into apartments in different zones.  He might have been at Oak Ridge between Central and ACHS.

Did Josh Lewis live in Powell's zone?

I am positive about this next statement because I stood on the steps leading down to the track at HHS and heard the entire conversation; Police officer asked if I had seen  a certain head coach that morning (spring county wide elementary school field day) and I told the officer he was in our fieldhouse changing clothes.  When coach came out the officer told coach he appreciated everything that coach was trying to do for his son, but he had decided to go to Central where he could play with his friends, instead of Powell to play football.  CG were the officer and the players initials.  I darn near fell over the railing when I looked at the coach and his expression at the officer's comments with me standing right there.  

Yes, it eventually sold and they moved to Tuscaloosa.  Took a while, but the housing market wasn't a sellers market like it is today.  

Don't think the Lewises ever lived in the Powell zone, but it didn't matter.  They got a Knox County transfer to Powell.  That was a different day with transfer rules and Knox County Schools.  It was pretty easy to get a transfer for a variety of reasons back then.  Kids were going from one side of the county to the other.  I'm sure you remember those days well, as you likely were on the side of players going and players coming.  

I vaguely remember the kid you were talking about who went from Central to AC.  I don't recall the name, and I didn't remember that he started at Carter.  

Don't have any problem believing your story in the last paragraph.  Parents and kids are always looking for greener grass, or what they percieve as greener grass.  In many, if not most, cases it's just best to stay put and let the kid be a kid, IMO.  

Edit: And the UT coach whose son transferred from Powell to Central was John Chavis.  They got sideways with the Powell coaching staff and left.  They kept their home on Norte Villar and rented a home in Sterchi Hills, which was just inside the Central zone, and "lived" there during the football season so the son could be eligible.  Again, a different day from what we have now.  

Edited by HTV

9 hours ago, sheppy said:

Tyler harris.His daddy tim harris moved him all over.LL got him up at a.c with the cows.Signed with bama during their dark period.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, cbg said:

Ladies and Gents I am telling you the longer this stuff goes on the more likely the kid will end up at a boarding school like IMG.  Remember IMG does not have to follow ANY financial aid rules and can basically do as they wish with regards to providing financial assistance.  The financial assistance rules for IMG are not even close to being strict like they are for the private schools in Tennessee.  

Florida also does not have the "Sit out" rule. You can play for Plantation one Friday, and St Thomas the next. It was the result of a lawsuit in the '70's. I'm a little surprised nobody has filed a similar suit here.

• Like 1

Opie,

You are correct.  Dad owned Knoxville Wholesale Furniture and believed he lived on Ruggles Ferry Rd or just off Ruggles.  LL got him to AC and Dad took him to Bama camp and they offered him.  Don't think he played the whole season at AC, Bama signed him and the joke was Dad outfitted the coaches offices with new furniture.  Don't think he played but 1 year at Bama and never saw the field.  Yep, Officer Gaston thanked Coach Duncan for everything he tried to do for Caleb, Jr. but Jr. decided against playing for the Panthers and played for the Bobcats.

Yes, Chavis moved his family just inside Central's zone and a family member moved into his Powell home.  Think after the season ended or school year ended, Chavis moved back and sold the Central zone house to the family member.

Worst thing that happened to Powell was losing K.R. to the Bobcats.  The good ole days of recruiting in Knoxville.  Don't make'em like they used to.

2 hours ago, sheppy said:

Opie,

You are correct.  Dad owned Knoxville Wholesale Furniture and believed he lived on Ruggles Ferry Rd or just off Ruggles.  LL got him to AC and Dad took him to Bama camp and they offered him.  Don't think he played the whole season at AC, Bama signed him and the joke was Dad outfitted the coaches offices with new furniture.  Don't think he played but 1 year at Bama and never saw the field.  Yep, Officer Gaston thanked Coach Duncan for everything he tried to do for Caleb, Jr. but Jr. decided against playing for the Panthers and played for the Bobcats.

Yes, Chavis moved his family just inside Central's zone and a family member moved into his Powell home.  Think after the season ended or school year ended, Chavis moved back and sold the Central zone house to the family member.

Worst thing that happened to Powell was losing K.R. to the Bobcats.  The good ole days of recruiting in Knoxville.  Don't make'em like they used to.

Kelly worked both sides of the track for many years. Huber's owned two houses at once which was a T$$AA violation. Kelly was in on this one too. Huber's wife and Kelly went to school together. For all the FAMILY went through it was not worth it but some people don't have their priorities right. HTV this is not a competition. Confrontation with JH at Neyland was an embarrassment and residual effects of it all was rediculious.  If Larry had not flexed his muscles the alot of poeple should have been in trouble. Polston eventually bent to the political pressure and made the call. Alot of fall out just to change schools.