Reggie Grimes to Ravenwood

5 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Kelly worked both sides of the track for many years. Huber's owned two houses at once which was a T$$AA violation. Kelly was in on this one too. Huber's wife and Kelly went to school together. For all the FAMILY went through it was not worth it but some people don't have their priorities right. HTV this is not a competition. Confrontation with JH at Neyland was an embarrassment and residual effects of it all was rediculious.  If Larry had not flexed his muscles the alot of poeple should have been in trouble. Polston eventually bent to the political pressure and made the call. Alot of fall out just to change schools.

Competition?  When did I say that it was And in what context? 

Bigtime1950,

Not sure owning 2 houses at once is a violation IF THEY LIVED in only 1 house in the proper zone.  Always heard the way to beat the rule was move to 2nd house while trying to sell house #1.  House #1 is not going to sell when you double or triple the asking price over the market price.  

1 hour ago, sheppy said:

Bigtime1950,

Not sure owning 2 houses at once is a violation IF THEY LIVED in only 1 house in the proper zone.  Always heard the way to beat the rule was move to 2nd house while trying to sell house #1.  House #1 is not going to sell when you double or triple the asking price over the market price.  

An situation similar to this happened in Milan about 13-14 years ago. Family lived in Jackson and parents got divorced. Kid played at USJ but when parents divorced his dad moved to Milan and mom stayed behind in family home. Dad had primary custody and kid stayed with dad during the week and with mom on weekends. The utilities at the old home were still in dads name so TSSAA ruled that there was not a legitimate change of residence and Milan had to forfeit 4 wins.

if your residence is up for sell you better make sure utilities and everything are off or there will be consequences. 

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

An situation similar to this happened in Milan about 13-14 years ago. Family lived in Jackson and parents got divorced. Kid played at USJ but when parents divorced his dad moved to Milan and mom stayed behind in family home. Dad had primary custody and kid stayed with dad during the week and with mom on weekends. The utilities at the old home were still in dads name so TSSAA ruled that there was not a legitimate change of residence and Milan had to forfeit 4 wins.

if your residence is up for sell you better make sure utilities and everything are off or there will be consequences. 

The problem with the TSSAA change of residence rules are that most of them were written in the 1960's when a high percentage of  kids lived with both their mother & father.  Today with the divorce rate at over 50%, many children being born without the mother and father ever being married, families moving around so often, kids being bounced between the mom, grandmother or aunt is that the TSSAA and school systems have a major gray area that they are not willing to acknowledge and the kids lose out.  I have said in the past and will continue to say that you should give all kids one (1) free transfer once they begin high school.  I don't care if the transfer is to a rival school, from public to private, private to public, etc...everyone may transfer one time without any questions being ask.  If a second transfer is to take place a legitimate transfer must take place.  

With regards to having two houses, that is not a crime and is nothing more than discrimination against the affluent families.  The only reason the TSSAA has not been taken to court on this issue is that by the time the court hears the case and make a ruling the student athletes eligibility will have expired not to mention the financial cost.  Mark my word someone will go after the TSSAA at some point in time and not stop until the issue is resolved.  Up until this point the TSSAA has been most fortunate.    

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There is no TSSAA rule against owning more than one home.   Never has been.  That would be over ruled in a heartbeat in a court of law if there were.  People own investment properties, they are on deeds with elderly parents' homes for estate planning purposes, have lake and mountain cabins, etc. They aren't and shouldn't be penalized because of it.  It's all about "primary residency". 

And as was mentioned earlier the broken family issue in this this day and time complicates things, as well.  

With the TSSAA isn't not about how many homes one owns or doesn't own, it's about legal residency.  

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Not true.  There is nothing preventing continuing to pay electricity and water bills on a home one doesn't live in.  In fact, they have to stay on to protect the integrity of the dwelling. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HTV said:

Not true.  There is nothing preventing continuing to pay electricity and water bills on a home one doesn't live in.  In fact, they have to stay on to protect the integrity of the dwelling. 

Read my post above about the kid from Milan. It actually did happen. Dad had an apartment in Milan where kid stayed during the week. Mom stayed in the house while going thru divorce. Utilities stayed in dads name. TSSAA ruled that kid did not have a legitimate change of residence because of this. Mickey Marley at USJ reported and Milan had to forfeit 4 games in 2006. True story. Weather there is a policy or not TSSAA prevented it in that instance. 

17 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Read my post above about the kid from Milan. It actually did happen. Dad had an apartment in Milan where kid stayed during the week. Mom stayed in the house while going thru divorce. Utilities stayed in dads name. TSSAA ruled that kid did not have a legitimate change of residence because of this. Mickey Marley at USJ reported and Milan had to forfeit 4 games in 2006. True story. Weather there is a policy or not TSSAA prevented it in that instance. 

I read your post.  I also know that the utilities being on could not have been the reason he didn't have a change of residency.  That's just not realistic.  Had to be other issues there, too.  

You can't ask somebody who is selling a home to turn the utilities off.  The house has to be shown to sell, and turning off utilities would be a detriment to that, not to mention possible damage to pipes and other systems if the temperature couldn't be controlled.  

What you are suggestion just isn't reasonable.  

1 minute ago, HTV said:

I read your post.  I also know that the utilities being on could not have been the reason he didn't have a change of residency.  That's just not realistic.  Had to be other issues there, too.  

You can't ask somebody who is selling a home to turn the utilities off.  The house has to be shown to sell, and turning off utilities would be a detriment to that, not to mention possible damage to pipes and other systems if the temperature couldn't be controlled.  

What you are suggestion just isn't reasonable.  

HTV if have always respected you and what you post. But I’m telling you the straight up truth. I saw the letter the TSSAA sent Milan high school. The house was not vacant. Mom still lived there and the boy stayed with her on weekends. Utilities were supposed to be put in her name and were not done in a timely manner. They remained in dads name and TSSAA ruled on that. Plain and simple. To suggest otherwise would imply that I am either lying or are ignorant of the situation. I am neither. I certainly understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree as the happened just like I said. 

13 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Kelly worked both sides of the track for many years. Huber's owned two houses at once which was a T$$AA violation. Kelly was in on this one too. Huber's wife and Kelly went to school together. For all the FAMILY went through it was not worth it but some people don't have their priorities right. HTV this is not a competition. Confrontation with JH at Neyland was an embarrassment and residual effects of it all was rediculious.  If Larry had not flexed his muscles the alot of poeple should have been in trouble. Polston eventually bent to the political pressure and made the call. Alot of fall out just to change schools.

And to add ....

Obvously you know a lot about the situation with Baron.  Then you also know that there were several factors that led to the decision to leave Central for Powell, and they weren't all instigated by the Hubers.  

Both parties were resonsible for the confrontation at the jamboree.  Either could have walked away, but chose not to.  

And as for your "was it worth it" statement, I can tell you that Baron doesn't believe that.  Before he came to Powell he had very few schools looking at him because he wasn't getting any help or positive words from the coaching staff at Central.  Once he got to Powell and went through spring practice schools started looking at him seriously because they were welcomed and had an opportunity to spend time with him and he ended up developing a relationship with Sparky Woods, who was on the staff at Alabama at the time.  That resulted in an offer to Bama after a May prospect camp on campus.  He never would have gotten that camp invitation had he stayed at Central.  

That turned out pretty well for Baron.  He ended up as the #1 fullback on Saban's first national championship team at Bama and has done well in business through networking with Bama alums and supporters.  

7 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

HTV if have always respected you and what you post. But I’m telling you the straight up truth. I saw the letter the TSSAA sent Milan high school. The house was not vacant. Mom still lived there and the boy stayed with her on weekends. Utilities were supposed to be put in her name and were not done in a timely manner. They remained in dads name and TSSAA ruled on that. Plain and simple. To suggest otherwise would imply that I am either lying or are ignorant of the situation. I am neither. I certainly understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree as the happened just like I said. 

You are talking about two totally different situations, then.  

If the house wasn't vacant and the mother still lived there and had custody, then that's why eligiblity wasn't denied, and not because somebody owned two homes with the untilities turned on.  

It's about legal custody/guardianship and residency.  Not about whether one owns more than one home and pays the utilities.  

Edited by HTV