Reggie Grimes to Ravenwood

1 minute ago, HTV said:

You are talking about two totally different situations, then.  

If the house wasn't vacant and the mother still lived there and had custody, then that's why eligiblity wasn't denied, and not because somebody owned two homes with the untilities turned on.  

I never stated that they did own two homes. My story has been the same all the way thru. Parents were getting a divorce. Dad moved out and had temporary primary custody. Utilities of the former home remained in his name while mom lived there and dad rented an apartment in Milan. That is all I have ever claimed. 

2 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I never stated that they did own two homes. My story has been the same all the way thru. Parents were getting a divorce. Dad moved out and had temporary primary custody. Utilities of the former home remained in his name while mom lived there and dad rented an apartment in Milan. That is all I have ever claimed. 

Understand, but it is still about custody and residency in that situation and in every situation where there is a change of schools once a student has started the 9th grade.  

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

Understand, but it is still about custody and residency in that situation and in every situation where there is a change of schools once a student has started the 9th grade.  

I totally agree with what you just said. It was about custody and residency. Dad clearly had custody but TSSAA thought that a simple utility bill meant the residence was not changed. Yes a rule was broken. The kid transfers from USJ to Milan. I think it is pitiful that the TSSAA punished the team for something that simple but it is what it is. The next time Milan played USJ they got revenge. The scoreboard stayed lite up all night!! Lol!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Where did this land? Is the kid going to play this season?

More generally, what is the actual rule? I had thought that if you moved >25 miles, you would be immediately eligible at the school you are zoned to with your new address. Let's start there... is that correct?

If so, I understand there are exception conditions. For example, if your parent is full-time employed at a school, that entitles the kid to attend there as well, regardless of where they live. Is that all it takes? If Reggie Sr. is employed by Ravenwood, what is the issue?

On 7/8/2019 at 9:35 AM, Osage said:

Where did this land? Is the kid going to play this season?

More generally, what is the actual rule? I had thought that if you moved >25 miles, you would be immediately eligible at the school you are zoned to with your new address. Let's start there... is that correct?

If so, I understand there are exception conditions. For example, if your parent is full-time employed at a school, that entitles the kid to attend there as well, regardless of where they live. Is that all it takes? If Reggie Sr. is employed by Ravenwood, what is the issue?

According to mapquest it is 33.7 miles from Mt. Juliet High School to Ravenwood High School.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

According to mapquest it is 33.7 miles from Mt. Juliet High School to Ravenwood High School.  

Someone else earlier in this thread mentioned that the Grimes family lives in Davidson County... never lived in Mt. Juliet, and doesn't live in Williamson County. So while I am still curious about the specifics of the 25 mile rule, I don't think it applies in this case. Maybe I am complicating things by confusing 2 different cases, but this thread has wandered all over the place, so I didn't think it would be too much of a problem.

So is the 25 mile clause for real? If I move >25 miles (I assume that means residence tio residence, not school to school), would I be immediately eligible at the school I am (newly) zoned to?

1 hour ago, Osage said:

Someone else earlier in this thread mentioned that the Grimes family lives in Davidson County... never lived in Mt. Juliet, and doesn't live in Williamson County. So while I am still curious about the specifics of the 25 mile rule, I don't think it applies in this case. Maybe I am complicating things by confusing 2 different cases, but this thread has wandered all over the place, so I didn't think it would be too much of a problem.

So is the 25 mile clause for real? If I move >25 miles (I assume that means residence tio residence, not school to school), would I be immediately eligible at the school I am (newly) zoned to?

I know there was a kid who played at Vanderbilt the last few years that transferred from Father Ryan to Hendersonville his senior year.  His family lived in Hendersonville and he was ruled ineligible because of the 25 mile rule.  

29 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I know there was a kid who played at Vanderbilt the last few years that transferred from Father Ryan to Hendersonville his senior year.  His family lived in Hendersonville and he was ruled ineligible because of the 25 mile rule.  

So in that case, was the issue that the kid HADN'T moved 25 miles?