Preseason Top Ten!

I'll say that the majority of 1A is really weak. Nobody has played one down of football yet and everyone already knows what teams will be playing after Thanksgiving. I would vote for 3 class system. It would make the playoffs more interesting and even boost playoff attendance. As for the east, South Pittsburg returns a lot of talent and experience. As one of my friends said "they look like a championship caliber team". Whitwell, while they will have zero luck this year, will still field a decent team and make the third round and that's it. Coalfield, as has been said, it all depends on Mckinney but I expect them to reach the third round as well. Greenback, they have to fill in some holes but have apparently got some nice kids to transfer in. Now, the question is why? I don't know and really don't care. They are there and eligible to play. Their 11 against ours after Thanksgiving and the winner will take it all this year. That's my opinion...

3 minutes ago, powerp said:

I'll say that the majority of 1A is really weak. Nobody has played one down of football yet and everyone already knows what teams will be playing after Thanksgiving. I would vote for 3 class system. It would make the playoffs more interesting and even boost playoff attendance. As for the east, South Pittsburg returns a lot of talent and experience. As one of my friends said "they look like a championship caliber team". Whitwell, while they will have zero luck this year, will still field a decent team and make the third round and that's it. Coalfield, as has been said, it all depends on Mckinney but I expect them to reach the third round as well. Greenback, they have to fill in some holes but have apparently got some nice kids to transfer in. Now, the question is why? I don't know and really don't care. They are there and eligible to play. Their 11 against ours after Thanksgiving and the winner will take it all this year. That's my opinion...

I agree,good assessment!

5 minutes ago, powerp said:

In this area it's pretty much been the same teams every year, especially here lately,  to advance to the 3rd and 4th rounds.  I can't remember the last time we have played anybody but Greenback in the 3rd round.

5 minutes ago, rtl112 said:

In this area it's pretty much been the same teams every year, especially here lately,  to advance to the 3rd and 4th rounds.  I can't remember the last time we have played anybody but Greenback in the 3rd round.

2013 Midway you beat them 34-0

Edited by orngnblk

7 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I agree, that horse has been beat to death.   I'd like to hear about teams I may of missed.   Now that Donovan's annual report is out, we have a better understanding of what teams have returning.   He says Freedom Prep has 19 starters back.  Obviously they lost the two big recruits to Memphis Central, but with that many kids back, I'd say they deserve Top Ten consideration.

I read the team capsules the other day.  19 starters returning had me second guessing not having Freedom Prep in the top 10.

A dark horse in 1A could be Memphis East.  I know they were 0-10 last year while only scoring 12 points.   But you never really know who or what may show up at one of these Memphis schools.

They took home the 4A gold ball in 2016.  I realize they have fallen off but they'll have this year and next to compete in 1A football regardless of their enrollment numbers.

I don't know their situation but they could have an influx of student athletes and change the landscape.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

A dark horse in 1A could be Memphis East.  I know they were 0-10 last year while only scoring 12 points.   But you never really know who or what may show up at one of these Memphis schools.

They took home the 4A gold ball in 2016.  I realize they have fallen off but they'll have this year and next to compete in 1A football regardless of their enrollment numbers.

I don't know their situation but they could have an influx of student athletes and change the landscape.  

Good point

9 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Coach Wimberly and his staff had something to do with that title as well.   Former NFL player and great football Coach.  Mitchell hasn't had the impact I thought they'd have after dropping down so many classes.

Edited by FridayMainEvent

10 hours ago, Southtowner said:

I read the team capsules the other day.  19 starters returning had me second guessing not having Freedom Prep in the top 10.

Curious here about the "19" starters.....  If Little Johnnie started on offense and defense would that be counted as two starters returning or will there be 19 different kids returning that started last year?  

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, GHSblackhelmet said:

Mark it down now whoever wins the east will blow out the west in the championship game!! It has already been posted by your people that you lost the best lineman you had but brought 3 All Americans in to replace him. I guess you have not read that yet. 

I don't believe that will happen.I believe Frankie had been offered by Memphis and a few others and he may get more this season.But I think the LC players held their own with him.LC may have a couple others with offers but 68 would know that.I'm thinking LC will hold their own with anybody in Single A