Preseason Top Ten!

7 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I didn’t think so. That’s why I asked. Regardless, you guys have TWO, senior D1 athletes on one team. Not to mention others that will sign as well. That is simply unheard of in East Tennessee 1A football. 

We will have two go D1 next year maybe another one not sure as of now but there will be some go D2 as well. Several new pieces on this team so time will tell if we can compete with the top 3 in 1a. 

There is also a freshman that will go D1 when he graduates if he keeps progressing the way that I think he will. 

Edited by Gbnation

22 minutes ago, Gbnation said:

We didn’t have a player go D1 last year 

I didn’t word my post very well. I assume if they are on this years team they were last year as well. Huntingdung did and LC did. They were on the teams last year. Whitwell and Cornersville had no D1 caliber kids on the teams whether they signed this year or have offers for the coming years. The teams that played for the title had no D1 athletes in the team regardless of grade or when they will graduate. 

25 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

The 1998 SP team had a D1 kid in Eddie Moore. They didn’t win it all either. They lost in the semifinals by a touchdown to a Trousdale team that also had some D1 caliber athletes. SP almost won it all that year on the back of that one player. Now, again my question is when those Milan teams won those titles.. were there other teams that had multiple D1 kids that year?

Yes there were. Especially the 1998 team. We play Lipscomb for the title and they had a kid that was the running back and won Mr. Football went on to play at Vanderbilt. They were others on that team. And the Portland team in 1999. They were stacked. They were just young. The next year they destroyed Covington for the title and had multiple kids play big time college ball. 

13 hours ago, Gbnation said:

We will have two go D1 next year maybe another one not sure as of now but there will be some go D2 as well. Several new pieces on this team so time will tell if we can compete with the top 3 in 1a. 

There is also a freshman that will go D1 when he graduates if he keeps progressing the way that I think he will. 

That’s what I’ve been saying. The talent that Greenback has collected is remarkable. I know your son is home grown, but all of these other big time players just keep showing up. It’s eerily similar to Alcoa. You said it yourself you have several D1 kids plus several D2. I’ve NEVER seen a team in the history of 1A football that wasn’t one of the top teams with that kind of talent. 

13 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I didn’t word my post very well. I assume if they are on this years team they were last year as well. Huntingdung did and LC did. They were on the teams last year. Whitwell and Cornersville had no D1 caliber kids on the teams whether they signed this year or have offers for the coming years. The teams that played for the title had no D1 athletes in the team regardless of grade or when they will graduate. 

I think Whitwell ended up with one kid signing D1 last season. I read in the paper where he got a full ride to Jacksonville State. It’s not a power 5 conference or anything, but still pretty good. It was probably the biggest name school for any kid that played on a 1A semifinal team last year. SP had one kid go D3 last year, but that was it. 

14 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Hundingdons QB is a D1 baseball prospect. I think D1 in football but dont know of any offers. No other D1 prospects on the Mustang squad at this point.

1 minute ago, Croppygenius said:

Hundingdons QB is a D1 baseball prospect. I think D1 in football but dont know of any offers. No other D1 prospects on the Mustang squad at this point.

Not to wierd but if no offers he is not D-1,D-2 or D-3.Im am sure he would be one of the 3 but not yet.;-)

17 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Did any of the kids on Whitwell’s team last year go on to get a scholly to play D1 ball?  I know Cornersville did not. But Greenback had them and LC and Huntingdung. 

I know NCS had several the year they won but what about Dresden (none although one went to UT Martin) or Union City the 2 years before that? (None). Even by your own admission South Pitt doesn’t get D1 players but they are one of the most decorated programs in TN single A ball.  I agree with you that D1 players dominate at this level. But it doesn’t always translate into championships. Give me a team full of hard nosed players that arewell coached and play with a lot of grit any day over A couple of D1 players. 

What about a team full of hard-nosed players that are well coached and play with a lot of grit but also are D-1 athletes as well? Just because they are one doesn’t mean they can’t be the other. Greenback usually is in place to succeed because of athletic ability that is in the right situation/position.